Signing a book and quill
Written books can be obtained by signing a book and quill. After it has been signed, it cannot be edited again. The label does not say "Written Book", but whatever the player titles it. The title appears on the top line of the label, and "by <player>" (the player's username) on the bottom. In Bedrock Edition, this is customizable without commands.
|Book and Quill +
|The input written book is not consumed.|
The new copies are "Copy of Original" or "Copy of Copy", depending on whether the input written book is "Original" or "Copy of Original".
Copies of copies cannot be copied.
Copied books of the same generation ("Original", "Copy of Original", "Copy of Copy", or "Tattered") stack.
The contents of a book are an extra set of data attached to the item. This means that when a book is destroyed, its contents are lost with it.
The lectern then emits a redstone signal depending on the displayed page in the book. On the last page, the lectern emits a signal strength of 15.
|Name||Resource location||Item tags (JE)||Form||Translation key|
|Name||Resource location||Numeric ID||Form||Translation key|
- tag: The item's tag tag.
- resolved: Optional. Created and set to 1 when the book (or a book from the stack) is opened for the first time after being created. Used to determine whether to resolve advanced components within JSON, because their values become fixed at that point.
- generation: Optional. The copy tier of the book. 0 = original, 1 = copy of original, 2 = copy of copy, 3 = tattered. If the value is greater than 1, the book cannot be copied. Does not exist for original books. If this tag is missing, it is assumed the book is an original. 'Tattered' is unused in normal gameplay, and functions identically to the 'copy of copy' tier.
- author: The author of the written book.
- title: The title of the written book. Lower priority than the item name set by
tag.display.Name. Can not be used to open locked containers.
- pages: The list of pages in the book.
- : A single page in the book. Each page is a serialized JSON text.
|1.3.1||12w17a||Added written books.|
|12w21a||Written books can now be sold to librarian villagers, at 1 written book for 1 emerald.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Written books can now be cloned the same way maps can, but by using books and quills instead of Empty Maps. Multiple copies of the same written book can be cloned by putting more book and quills in the crafting grid.|
|Written books can now be stacked (up to 16 per stack).|
|1.8||14w02a||Trading has been changed: librarian villagers now buy 2 written books for 1 emerald.|
|14w05a||Copying written books now mark them as "Copy of Original" or "Copy of Copy". The copying status of a book is denoted in a separate line in the tooltip, beneath the author's name. Copies of copies cannot be copied.|
|1.9||15w33c||A written book titled "Work in Progress" now generates within a hopper as a part of the end ship in the end cities. It reads: "We will have something else here soon..." and is signed by Searge.|
|15w41a||End ships no longer contain a written book.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this item's numeral ID was 387.|
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of written books has been changed.|
|19w02a||Written books can now be held on lecterns.|
|19w11a||Librarian villagers no longer buy written books.|
|1.2.0||beta 188.8.131.52||Added written books.|
|1.10.0||beta 184.108.40.206||The texture of written books has been changed.|
|Written books can now be held on lecterns.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU25||CU14||1.17||Patch 1||Added written books.|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
|1.90||The texture of written books has been changed.|
- When written books are obtained with commands (without the correct data tag), the label shows "Written Book" and has the text "*Invalid book tag*" when opened. The book is signed and cannot be edited without commands.
- Commands that were added to a written book using serialized JSON objects are executed through the chat system. This means that any command added to a written book can't be longer than 256 characters, which is the maximum chat line limit.
- During the 2020 April Fools Update Java Edition 20w14∞, throwing a written book into a lit nether portal would create a portal to one of the 2,147,483,645 new dimensions.