A Witch is a ranged mob, added in 1.4.2 - The Pretty Scary Update. Witches are hostile and are found mostly in swamp biomes wandering around their houses. When a witch gets hit by a player, they begin to viciously attack them with splash potions. Witches also have the ability to regenerate health. It fires splash potions of weakness, slowness, poison, and instant harming to weaken a player so it makes it easier to attack a player. Because of this, a player's armor is rendered useless, regardless of the armor's material and/or enchantments.
A witch relies on using harmful potions, such as poison, for ranged attack. The best way to fight a witch is to get in close and not let it get away. Keep hitting it, and they will fall quickly. Damage must be consistently dealt to a witch in order to kill it, as it has the ability to use healing potions to regenerate health.
Another effective way is to take it out with a bow, as a player will outrange the witch's splash potions. As with melee fighting, a constant barrage of arrows must be maintained to ensure the witch cannot continually drink health potions.
- The witch is the one of a few hostile (if they are in a raid) ranged mobs found in the Overworld, the others being skeletons, strays, evokers, and illusioners (in 1.12).
- The witch has an animation involving its nose.
- On occasion, when a witch is killed, it will sometimes drop a potion, most likely an instant health potion. However, it will only drop potions if killed while drinking one.
- The witch is the second gender specific mob in Minecraft, the first being the Ender Dragon.
- As of 15w49a/1.9, witches now make sounds.
- Witches are the only mob that uses potions to attack and heal themselves and others.
- A witch's nose magically wiggles.
- Witches have mouths, but they are very tiny. It can be seen if they decide to drink a potion.
- A villager will turn into a witch if struck by lightning. However, witches do not attack villagers.
- If a baby villager is struck by lightning, they will still become an adult witch.
- In 1.14, witches will spawn and become part of Illager Raids. And will support illagers with healing potions. Despite being part on raids, they will not attack villagers.
- In the same update, witches were formerly neutral to the player and were wearing a hood. Sadly, this feature has been reverted due to it being an unintentional change.
- A player can change what a witch is holding with the /replaceitem command.
- By using this command, the witch in question will appear to drink something by raising its nose. The witch's face will be stuck like this until it drinks a potion.
- ↑ https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/246183173145387008
- ↑ https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/246183485675540480