Wheat is an item obtained through farming, which is used in crafting. It can also be considered as a block while it is growing on a plot of Farmland. Wheat Seeds, required for growing wheat, can be obtained by breaking tall grass (30% chance), or can be found in chests within dungeons. It is typically one of the first crops the player can cultivate when starting a new world.
When harvesting wheat, a player will collect 1–2 wheat and 0–3 seeds which can be replanted to grow more wheat. Creating a wheat field around a player's shelter can be highly beneficial as it provides a steady source of food (bread, cake, etc.), and it is essential for breeding certain animals if a player decides to build a farm. Before planting wheat, the user must till the ground with a hoe. Wheat grows most efficiently when planted on a damp tilled dirt block. The 'damp' state of farmland is achieved by having a water source within 4 blocks of the tilled dirt block and/or rain.
- Wheat does not appear in the statistics page since it appears as seeds due to wheat being a re-textured version of seeds when planted.
- 1–4 wheat can be found inside of chests in dungeons.
- If a player is holding wheat, cows, mooshrooms, and sheep will follow a player.
- As of Beta 1.9 pre-release 2, wheat can be used to breed animals (e.g., sheep and cows).
- When one clicks on two animals near each other with wheat, hearts will appear (Sometimes Called Love Mode) and the animals that were fed will make a baby. Although, this doesn't work on all of the animals, one such animal being the Squid.
- If one uses the 'Pick Block' option on a full grown crop,it will give them the 'crops' item. This item is not found in the creative inventory. The crops item is used in a way like seeds, so when one places it on tilled dirt it will grow.
- Villages can have farms which can have wheat, potatoes, and carrots.
- Wheat is one of the most common trading items from Villagers.
- Wheat can still be grown even if it is surrounded by lava.