Wheat is an item obtained through farming, which is used in crafting. It can also be considered as a block while it is growing on a plot of farmland. Wheat seeds, required for growing wheat, can be obtained by breaking tall grass (30% chance) or can be found in chests within dungeons. It is typically one of the first crops the player can cultivate when starting a new world.
When harvesting wheat, a player will collect 1–2 wheat and 0–3 seeds which can be replanted to grow more wheat. Creating a wheat field around a player's shelter can be highly beneficial as it provides a steady source of food (bread, cake, etc.), and it is essential for breeding certain animals if a player decides to build a farm. Before planting wheat, the user must till the ground with a hoe. Wheat grows most efficiently when planted on a damp tilled dirt block. The 'damp' state of farmland is achieved by having a water source within 4 blocks of the tilled dirt block and/or rain. Farmer Villagers will buy wheat for Emeralds.
- Wheat does not appear in the statistics page since it appears as seeds due to wheat being a re-textured version of seeds when planted.
- 1–4 wheat can be found inside of chests in dungeons.
- If a player is holding wheat, cows, mooshrooms, and sheep will follow a player.
- As of Beta 1.9 pre-release 2, wheat can be used to breed animals (e.g., sheep and cows).
- When one clicks on two sheep, cows, mooshrooms, donkeys or horses near each other with wheat, hearts will appear (Sometimes Called Love Mode) and the animals that were fed will make a baby.
- For this to work, the animals must be the same type, the only exception being a horse and donkey, which can make a mule.
- If one uses the 'Pick Block' option on a full-grown crop, it will give them the 'crops' item. This item is not found in the creative inventory. The crops item is used in a way like seeds, so when one places it on tilled dirt it will grow.
- Villages can have farms which can have wheat, potatoes, and carrots.
- Wheat is one of the most common trading items from villagers.
- Wheat can still be grown even if it is surrounded by lava.