24 × 12
In Java Edition:
In Bedrock Edition:
They do not respawn after initially spawning. Vindicators generated with mansions do not naturally despawn unless the world is switched to Peaceful difficulty.
Vindicators are sometimes neutral if naturally spawned in a woodland mansion, which means that the vindicator does not attack the player on sight. Only when the vindicator is attacked it will fight back.
Patrols consist of 2–5 Illagers, with all Illagers always being Pillagers on Easy difficulty and Normal difficulty. On Hard difficulty, 80% of them are pillagers and 20% of them are vindicators.[BE only]
Vindicators can spawn during raids. They appear more frequently during later waves and at higher difficulties.
- 5 and an additional 1–3 per naturally-spawned equipment.
- 0–1 emeralds when killed by the player. The maximum increases by 1 for every level of Looting, for a maximum of 0-4 with Looting III.
- 8.5% chance of dropping their normal or enchanted iron axe, which increases by 1 percentage point per level of Looting.
- 1 Ominous banner(in Java Edition), or illager banner in Bedrock Edition if they spawn as a raid captain.
In Bedrock Edition, if a vindicator spawns as part of a raid, it drops:
- 0-1 Emerald
Additionally, in Bedrock Edition, vindicators have a 65% chance of dropping the following on Easy and Normal difficulties, and an 80% chance of dropping them on Hard difficulty:
- 0-1 Emerald (10⁄39 chance)
- 2-3 Emerald (5⁄39 chance)
- 4-5 Emerald (2⁄39 chance)
- 1 Enchanted Book (2⁄39 chance)
- 1 Iron Axe (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Pickaxe (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Shovel (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Sword (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Helmet (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Chestplate (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Leggings (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Boots (5⁄78 chance)
- Iron equipment from raid drops always has a 50% chance of being enchanted with a random enchantment at level 5-19.
- Iron equipment from raid drops is always damaged.
- These drops are also affected by the Looting enchantment.
- The enchanted book has a level 30 enchantment, may be treasure enchantment.
- Emeralds are both a regular raid drop and an additional raid drop.
- With Looting III enchantment, a vindicator spawned from a raid can drop up to 16 emeralds upon death, but the chance is 3.328% on Easy or Normal, and 4.096% on Hard.
- It is possible for a vindicator spawned from a raid to drop both its naturally-spawned iron axe and a second iron axe from its additional raid drops (in Easy and Normal difficulty 0.3536% chance, 0.3952% chance with Looting I, 0.4368% chance with Looting II, and 0.4784% chance with Looting III, while in Hard difficulty 0.4352% chance, 0.4864% chance with Looting I, 0.5376% chance with Looting II, and 0.5888% chance with Looting III).
In Java Edition, vindicators attack the player regardless of distance, unlike most other illagers, who attack the player on sight. The vindicator can stare at a player from a long distance away. This also applies for other mobs, if the vindicator was named "Johnny".
When attacking, a vindicator raises its main hand brandishing an iron axe. It sprints, moving faster than villagers. When not attacking, a vindicator crosses its arms similar to a villager and does not hold its axe.
If the vindicator has no weapons (its axe), it still attacks players, iron golems, villagers, wandering traders and snow golems, except the axe doesn't appear in the vindicator's hand when the vindicator raises its hand. A vindicator's axe can break, just like pillager crossbows.[JE only]
In Bedrock Edition, if a pillager arrow accidentally strikes a vindicator, the vindicator retaliates against the pillager and the pillager fights back. This does not occur in Java Edition, as all illagers are friendly to each other, even when accidently hit.
Vindicators look at the player in creative mode like villagers do, but they might break the line of sight with the player after looking for a while or when it sees a target.
Vindicators are tied with piglin brutes for being the mob that does the single highest amount of raw melee damage in the game, dealing an alarming 19 × 9.5 damage on Hard difficulty. This poses a serious threat even to well-prepared and heavily armored players. Due to the fact multiple vindicators spawn in a location, they make mansions, raids, and also patrols dangerous even for seasoned players.
A vindicator disables the player's shield for 5 seconds with its iron axe attack, even when riding a mob.[JE only] For this reason, a player may not survive trying to land a melee attack on a vindicator that rides a ravager during a raid in Hard difficulty.
- Ghasts 
- Players in Creative or Spectator [Java Edition only] mode
Johnny tag overrides its name; the player can give the vindicator any other name and set the
Johnny tag to
1b and it remains hostile in the same way as described. Conversely, the player can name the vindicator Johnny and set the
Johnny tag to
0b, causing the vindicator to act as a normal vindicator.
|Sound||Subtitles||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Entity tags (JE)||Translation key|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
Vindicators have entity data associated with them that contains various properties.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities
- Tags common to all mobs
- Tags common to all mobs spawnable in raids
- Johnny: 1 or 0 (true/false) - if true, causes the vindicator to exhibit Johnny behavior. Setting to false prevents the vindicator exhibiting Johnny behavior, even if named Johnny. Optional.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Gamerscore earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Monster Hunter||Attack and kill a monster.||Kill a hostile mob or one of the following neutral mobs: an enderman, a piglin, a zombified piglin, a spider, or a cave spider.||15G||Bronze|
The specific instructions are: Unarmed vindicator attacking in bedrock edition
|16w40a||The vindicators' axes are now one of their |
|Vindicator can be unarmed, raise one arm when attacking.|
|Vindicators have been heavily buffed - their attack damage on Easy has been increased from 3 to 7, on Normal 5 to 13 × 6.5, and on Hard, 7 to 19 × 9.5. On normal and hard difficulties, a vindicator can kill an unarmored player in just 2 hits. This makes vindicators the strongest illager, and one of the hardest-hitting mobs in the game.|
|"Johnny" vindicators are now activated by a custom tag in addition to a custom name.|
|1.13||pre5||The entity ID for vindicators has been changed from |
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of vindicators has been changed. The eye colors are now same green as the evoker.|
|18w45a||Vindicators can now spawn in illager patrols.|
|Vindicators can now sometimes spawn as a patrol leader in illager patrols.|
|18w47a||Vindicators can now spawn as part of raids.|
|Vindicators can now break doors.|
|18w47b||The texture of vindicators has been changed. The eye colors have been changed to blue as before again.|
|19w05a||Vindicators are now hostile toward the new wandering traders.|
|19w13a||If raiding vindicators killed all the villagers in the village or the beds were destroyed, vindicators celebrate their victory by laughing and raising their arms in the air.|
|1.14.3||Pre-Release 2||Vindicators no longer spawn as part of illager patrols.|
|1.15||19w41a||Vindicators now have a fifth idle sound (known as "idle5"). The sound had been in the game files since 1.11, but was never heard in-game until this update.|
|1.16.2||20w29a||The attack animation of unarmed vindicators has been changed.|
|1.1.0||alpha 126.96.36.199||Added vindicators.|
|Vindicator can be unarmed, raise one arm when attacking.|
|1.10.0||beta 188.8.131.52||The texture of vindicators has been changed.|
|Vindicators are now hostile toward the new wandering traders.|
|1.11.0||beta 184.108.40.206||Vindicators can now spawn as part of illager patrols and raids.|
|Vindicators can now spawn as raid captains.|
|Vindicators no longer attack baby villagers.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||Vindicators that spawn from raids now have special drops upon death.|
|beta 18.104.22.168||Vindicators can now break wooden doors.|
|1.13.0||beta 22.214.171.124||If raiding vindicators killed all the villagers in the village or the beds were destroyed, vindicators celebrate their victory by laughing and raising their arms in the air.|
|1.16.0||beta 126.96.36.199||Vindicators in woodland mansions are no longer neutral toward the player. They are now hostile toward the player again.|
|1.16.20||beta 188.8.131.52||The attack animation of unarmed vindicators has been changed.|
|1.16.100||beta 184.108.40.206||Vindicators now despawn in peaceful mode.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU54||CU44||1.52||Patch 24||1.0.4||Added vindicators.|
|Vindicators deal 6 on Easy, 10 on Normal, 15 × 7.5 on Hard.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- The "Johnny" easter egg is a reference to the movie The Shining, where the main character says "Here's Johnny!" while breaking a door with an axe.
- Vindicators have blue eyes,[JE only] unlike other illagers, who have green eyes. During the Texture Update, the eyes of vindicators and illusioners were changed to green, but in 18w47b, the color of the vindicator's eyes were changed back to blue.
- The eyes on Bedrock Edition remain green.
- Vindicators have an unused hat layer in their texture file, similar to the illusioner's hat.
A vindicator in a mineshaft.
Raid captain vindicator.
A vindicator riding a ravager.
A vindicator chasing a villager.
In other media
A Vindicator in the promotional artwork for the Exploration Update
Vindicators in the promotional artwork for the Village and Pillage Update
The Vindicator page in the Mobestiary
Lego Minecraft version of the Vindicator
Model of the Vindicator in Minecraft Dungeons