Vindicators are hostile, humanoid, villager-shaped mobs that can be found in the Overworld inside woodland mansions and in raids. They are one of five types of Illagers ("ill-willing villagers"), the other four being the illusioner, evoker, pillager, and ravager.
The vindicator sounds like a villager, but with more of a grunting tone. They say "Hurgh," "Har-hum!" and "Hmph."
Vindicators are considered Illagers, which means that they are hostile outcasts from villages. They look similar to villagers, except their skin is gray in colour instead of tan and their clothing looks different. Vindicators spawn in the Overworld inside woodland mansions in groups of 1–3, depending on the size of the mansion, and are sometimes accompanied by an evoker. In the 1.14 - Village and Pillage update, they may accompany Illager patrols and join village raids.
When a vindicator sees a player, villager, wandering trader, or Iron Golem, it draws an iron axe and charges at the target at a high speed, attacking once in melee range. Its iron axe has a chance to be enchanted, scaling with the game's difficulty level as with other equipment. Though they are allies with pillagers, they will attack a pillager that has unintentionally shot them.
- Main article: Illagers § Village and Pillage
Vindicators deal high damage to lightly armored players, so it's advisable to be wary and equip durable gear when fighting them. They are even a larger threat when in groups, so refrain from fighting them all at once. The use of a bow can be helpful but bear in mind that the vindicator that is hit will immediately notice this and will charge at the player. Building barriers can be a good option too, as vindicators are melee mobs, but the player must act fast when building one, as vindicators are quite fast. It's also important to keep in mind that since vindicators wield axes, they have the ability to temporarily disable shields.
- Naming a vindicator "Johnny" turns it instantly hostile to all mobs except other Illagers. Even though vexes are considered Illagers, Johnny vindicators will still attack them.
- This is a reference to the character Jack Torrence in the Stanley Kubrick movie The Shining. ("Here's Johnny!") Vindicators named "Johnny" will be hostile towards other mobs besides Illagers and ghasts. All hostile or neutral mobs (except for Endermites, slimes, magma cubes, phantoms, ravagers, and guardians) will attack the vindicator in return.
- Vindicators named "Johnny" will also attempt to attack armor stands since it's considered an entity.
- Similar to evokers, vindicators appear in peaceful mode but run away from players instead of attacking.
- Vindicators will celebrate and raise their arms like evokers do when they win a raid.