Vexes are one of only two flying hostile mobs that can spawn in the Overworld, the other being the phantom. They are immune to damage from falling, drowning, fire, and lava. They only take damage from swords, bows and arrows, and the player's hand. Vexes are not hindered by solid blocks in any way, allowing them to fly through walls, floors, trees, or the ground itself. If the evoker spawns low enough, it is possible for a Vex to fly into the Void.
Vexes will attack villagers, iron golems, and players with their small iron sword. They will also attack mobs that the Evoker commands them to. When a Vex attacks, they glow red and lunge towards their target. When a Vex is idle, they float around their evoker.
- Vexes are not immune to the Evoker’s "Fang Attacks". This makes it possible for a Vex to turn against their own Evoker and kill them.
- A Vex can kill an Evoker in three hits, which is the same amount that it takes for one to kill a villager.
- It takes thirteen hits from a Vex to kill an Iron Golem.
- The name of the Vex probably came from the Destiny video game by Bungie Studios, that video game including at the game release a race of robots with bioorganic fluid in a bottle, able to teleport and travel in time and space. In Destiny, the Vex were the main antagonists of the basic game, although there were others.
- Vexes are also called Vexes because the word "Vex" literally means to annoy, frustrate, or worry someone, and this is exactly what Vexes do as protection for the Evoker that spawned them in the first place, which are pretty helpless alone.
- Vexes are the only mob to take damage after a period of time