|— minecraft.net on Update Aquatic|
The Update Aquatic is the name for a major update that was released for most versions of Minecraft in 2018, with the exception of the Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and New Nintendo 3DS editions. The Update Aquatic focuses on revamping the oceans in Minecraft, adding many new aquatic mobs, blocks, items and structures. The update marks the advent of the trend of major themed content updates being released across certain editions relatively simultaneously, rather than across differently-titled, unrelated-sounding updates per edition.
The official name for the update, the Update Aquatic, was revealed on November 18, 2017, during the MINECON Earth 2017 live stream, at which time the Java Edition Update Aquatic was to be released as 1.14. On July 10, 2018, Mojang Studios released a trailer for the update.
On Java Edition, this update was previously titled Technically Updated, until the features of the Update Aquatic were added later on in the development of 1.13, starting from snapshot 18w07a.
- 1 Release
- 2 Notable features
- 3 Further revisions
- 4 Videos
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Gallery
- 7 References
- 8 External links
The update was released for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, and Wii U editions, on September 11, 2018. The Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and New Nintendo 3DS editions were omitted from the update.
On Bedrock Edition, the Update Aquatic was split into two updates, with most of the features being released in Phase One as version 1.4.0 on May 16, 2018, and more features released in Phase Two as version 1.5.0 on July 10, 2018. Additional features were added in 1.6.0 on August 28, 2018.
Additionally, the Update Aquatic was released for Education Edition in the 1.4 update on June 12, 2018, and additional features released in the 1.7 update on November 12, 2018. The update was also released for the China Edition; it was released on mobile devices on July 6, 2018, and on Windows on July 10, 2018.
The first pre-release on Java Edition, 1.13-pre1, was released on June 4, 2018, the second pre-release was released on June 15, the third on June 21, the fourth on June 26, the fifth on June 28, the sixth on July 4, the seventh on July 10, the eighth on July 13, the ninth on July 16, and the tenth on July 17. This update had 10 pre-releases for Java Edition, the largest number of pre-releases for any update.
- New blocks:
- Trapdoors, pressure plates, and buttons for the other 5 types of wood besides oak
- 10 types of coral block, 5 types of corals, and 5 types of coral fans
- 5 types of dead coral fans
- Generate in ocean biomes, except warm oceans.
- Can be placed only underwater, requiring at least one water block above it
- Can grow multiple blocks high.
- Dried kelp block
- Generates in oceans (including underwater caves), rivers, and swamplands.
- Drops from turtles when killed.
- Can be generated when using bone meal on any block underwater.
- Sea pickles
- Generate in warm oceans, especially around coral reefs.
- Up to 4 of them can be placed on a block.
- Each one adds 3 to the light level, but only when placed underwater.
- Can be smelted into lime dye.
- Turtle eggs
- Blue ice
- When active, affects nearby players in water with the Conduit Power effect.
- Emits a strong glow, at light level 15.
- Wood (previously available only using
- Now have an item form and appear in the creative inventory.
- They can now be crafted, 4 logs in a square yield 3 wood.
- Stripped logs
- A barkless variant of logs.
- Created by using an axe on a log block.
- Act as regular logs, and can still be used to craft planks.
- Bubble columns, created by magma blocks or soul sand in water
- Magma block columns pull entities down and soul sand columns push entities up.
- Prismarine stairs and slabs
- Comes in all 3 variants: prismarine, dark prismarine, and prismarine bricks.
- New items:
- Can be thrown by using it, or be used as a melee weapon by attacking, dealing 9 damage.
- Obtained by killing a drowned
- Dropped when baby turtles grow up.
- Can be used to craft turtle shells.
- Turtle shell
- Can be used as a helmet, adding 2 armor points.
- Can be used to brew the potion of the Turtle Master.
- Dried kelp
- Obtained by smelting kelp.
- Can be eaten, restoring 1 () hunger point.
- Phantom membrane
- Dropped by phantoms.
- Used to repair elytra.
- Used to brew potions of Slow Falling.
- Heart of the sea
- Found in all buried treasure chests in stacks of 1.
- Nautilus shell
- Obtained from fishing or Drowned
- Potion of the Turtle Master
- Arrow of the Turtle Master
- Gives the same effects as potion of the Turtle Master
- Potion of Slow Falling
- Grants the Slow Falling effect
- Arrow of Slow Falling
- Grants the Slow Falling effect
- Debug stick[Java Edition only]
- A technical item used to cycle between different block states.
- Buried treasure explorer map
- Leads the player to buried treasure.
- Spawn eggs for turtles, dolphins, phantoms, cod, salmon, pufferfish, tropical fish, and drowned
- Fish buckets: cod, salmon, pufferfish, and tropical fish
- New effects:
- Slow Falling
- Prevents fall damage.
- Makes the player fall slower.
- Makes player unable to deal critical hits.
- Conduit Power
- Dolphin's Grace[Java Edition only]
- Makes the player swim faster.
- Acquired by swimming near dolphins.
- Slow Falling
- New enchantments: Loyalty, Impaling, Riptide, and Channeling
- New mobs:
- Spawns in the Overworld when players haven't slept in a while.
- Considered undead mobs.
- Spawn in any ocean that isn't frozen.
- Neutral mobs.
- They can help players find buried treasure; when they are fed raw cod, they swim to the nearest shipwreck or underwater ruins.
- Spawn on warm beaches in small groups.
- Drop 0-2 seagrass upon death.
- Spawn in all oceans and rivers, as well as in swamps and underwater ruins.
- Zombies convert into drowned if submerged in water for a while.
- Fish mobs:
- New generated structures:
- Can be found in oceans and beaches.
- Contain 1–3 loot chests containing different types of loot depending on the ship.
- Can generate upright, sideways or upside down.
- Icebergs, which generate in frozen ocean biomes
- Underwater ruins
- Have a cold and warm variant.
- Buried treasures
- Underwater caves and ravines
- Coral reefs
- Naturally generate in warm ocean biomes.
- Are composed of coral, coral blocks and coral fans.
- New biomes:
- World types:
- Data packs[Java Edition only]
- Item forms for mushroom blocks, bark blocks, and double slabs.[Java Edition only]
- 3 new commands:
/bossbar.[Java Edition only]
- A command suggestion UI.[Java Edition only]
- A smooth transition is applied to the camera when the player sneaks.
- Changed pumpkin texture, and renamed the old texture to "carved pumpkin", available when a pumpkin is right-clicked with shears.
- Water source blocks can now be placed inside of semi-transparent blocks such as stairs and slabs, called waterlogging.
- Added many new sounds and 3 new underwater music pieces by C418.
- Magma blocks generate in ocean biomes, causing downward bubble columns
- Changed title screen to an Update Aquatic theme
- Dropped items in water now float toward the surface
- Replaced and changed many commands[Java Edition only]
- The flattening[Java Edition only]
- New horse model
- New water texture
- Item frames can be placed on the floor and the ceiling[Java Edition only]
- Squid now shoot ink when attacked[Java Edition only]
- This feature was ported from Bedrock Edition
- The player's oxygen no longer generates instantly when out of water
- Changed underwater visibility
- Maps can now be marked using banners[Java Edition only]
- Named banners show their names under that marker on the map
- Shulker boxes can now be undyed using a cauldron
- Elytra now requires phantom membrane to repair in an anvil instead of leather.
- 1.13.1 added a search bar to select world screens, re-added the punch-detonate TNT ability, allowed fish to drop bone meal, added dead coral, added a new
/forceloadcommand, significantly changed the spawning conditions of squid, and fixed bugs.
- 1.13.2 fixed several bugs.
1.4 (Phase One)
- 1.4.1 was released exclusively on Android and Fire OS to fix a bug involving players losing previously purchased items.
- 1.4.2 fixed several crash-related bugs.
- 1.4.3 was released exclusively on iOS devices to fix some bugs and added a new map by Blockceptions.
- 1.4.4 was released exclusively on Android and Fire OS to fix a bug that had issues with telemetry.
1.5 (Phase Two)
- 1.5.1 fixed several bugs present in the official release of 1.5.0.
- 1.5.2 fixed a lone bug regarding bitmap on low-end devices.
- 1.5.3 fixed the lost inventory bug along with several other bugs.
A trailer documenting some of the Update Aquatic's features was released on Mojang Studios' official YouTube channel on July 10, 2018. The trailer was made by Mojang Studios themselves instead of Hat Films, similar to the 2 previous trailers.
- Note: The video's footage is taken from the Bedrock Edition.
|Update Aquatic – Dive in! (view on YouTube)|
Videos made by slicedlime:
|What's New in Minecraft Java Edition 1.13 - The Update Aquatic? (view on YouTube)|
|Advanced Commands Tutorial - Command News in Minecraft 1.13 (view on YouTube)|
|What's New in Minecraft Bedrock Edition 1.4? (view on YouTube)|
|What's New in Minecraft Bedrock Edition 1.5? (view on YouTube)|
|Update Aquatic: Ten Things You Probably Didn't Know About Minecraft (view on YouTube)|
- Jeb previously stated in a 2011 interview that he wanted to implement more sea life into the game.
- The poster for this update can be seen in the Minecraft Dungeons: Cross-platform Play Trailer in the PS4 user's room.
- "Update Aquatic - Dive in!" – Minecraft on YouTube, July 10, 2018
- "Java Edition Technically Updated!" – Minecraft.net, January 24, 2018
- "Update Aquatic Out On Java!" by Adrian Östergård. Minecraft.net, July 18, 2018
- "An update for Minecraft Console Edition on Sony consoles is rolling out worldwide now, and later today/early tomorrow on Xbox 360 and Wii U !" – @4JStudios (4JStudios) on Twitter, September 11, 2018
- "Update Aquatic Phase One is out now!" – Minecraft.net, May 16, 2018
- "Who is ready for #UpdateAquatic part 2? Switch players should start seeing the update right now, with other platforms diving in later today! Get ready for Turtles, Conduits, and more!
#Minecraft" – @Mega_Spud on Twitter, July 10, 2018
- "Update Aquatic Released for Minecraft: Education Edition" .
- "重磅来袭！《我的世界》海洋更新上线时间首次曝光！" .
- "MINECON Earth 2017 Livestream", November 18, 2017
- "Interview mit Jeb! Ihr konntet die Fragen stellen!" – MineTimes.
Code Builder Update
Village & Pillage
Camps & Clubs
Caves and Cliffs Part 2