To grow flowers, you can use bone meal on a grass block. The block must either have no block above it (which is obstructing sun / moonlight), or be lit with a light level of at least 8. Flowers and tall grass will spread over grass blocks up to 7 blocks away in both directions (a 15×15 square). However, approximately 95% of growth occurs within a 4-block radius (a 9×9 area) around the source grass block.
The types of flowers that spawn depend on the biome. See flower biomes.
Two-high flowers cannot be grown this way at all; instead, they can be farmed by applying bone meal directly to them, which causes an item to drop.
If you use bone meal directly on a one-high flower, it will spread (similar to using it on a grass block).[Bedrock Edition only]
If the planting conditions are not met, flowers will quickly pop out. This allows flowers to be used in the creation of light-sensitive mechanisms.
Poppies spawn much less frequently than dandelions. They are the most abundant in Mountains biomes, but are also somewhat common in Taiga and Tundra biomes.
This technique only works in Bedrock Edition.
Step 1: Get something with fortune.
Step 2: Break a 2 block tall flower (Peony, rose bush, lilac, sunflower, etc.)
Step 3: Collect the 2+ flowers
It is also tracked on MCPE-18880.
The Earthquake Technique
Another technique for automated farming is to shift the ground beneath the flowers with pistons.
The general idea is to have a redstone clock trigger the following three events in order:
- A dispenser dispenses bone meal into the grass from below to produce flowers.
- A set of pistons pushes the ground one block horizontally
- Another set of pistons pushes the ground back to the original position.
This chart shows the area and flower yield of different sized designs, as well as the necessary number of pistons.
|11x11 (described below)||121 blocks||22|
- *The 2x2 design has no center, making it harder to use/build. This applies to any even size.
- **A 15x15 area guarantees that no flower will fail to generate, but note that the earthquake collection method cannot be used (there are too many blocks for pistons to push). A somewhat complex water flow system is necessary for automatic collection. In Bedrock Edition, you can tap a flower w/ bone meal and it will multiply. Sadly, in Java Edition, you can only use this technique on two block high flowers.
Mysticat - Minecraft Flower Farm: AFK Endless Dye 1.16
RAHsite - Automatic Wool Farm & Flower Farm - Minecraft Bedrock 1.16+