Fish farming is an easy method of catching large quantities of fish and other items by fishing. Most AFK designs involve right-clicking an iron door with tripwire above it, causing fish caught to flow into a hopper and then into a collection chest.
- 1 Designs
- 2 1.14
- 3 1.16
- 4 1.17
- 5 Other Versions
- 6 Non-AFK Fishing
AFK Automatic Fish Farming
Pre-1.16, automatic fish farming involves right-clicking a door with tripwire above it and hoppers for collection. It’s a good idea to use an automatic fishing rod dropper to supply new fishing rods when the previous one breaks. The ideal rod is Lure III, Luck of the Sea III, Unbreaking III and Mending I. Use Mouse Keys in Windows to make the experience truly AFK. If playing on a PS4, You may want to jam a coin in between L1 and L2.
Snapshot 20w12a changed how fishing worked. Now, in order to get treasure loot, the bobber will need to be in a 5x5x4 area of water, air, or Lily Pads.. This broke all old AFK fishing designs. The current designs use a timer to approximate how long it'll take to catch a fish, and then forcefully cause the player to reel it in via trapdoors activated on a redstone timer. These aren't as fast as the pre-1.16 designs.
Snapshot 20w49a added the Sculk Sensor[upcoming: JE 1.17], which powered a new generation of AFK fishing farms. A design by Rays Works uses skulk sensors to detect a bobber sinking into the water when loot bites, triggering the sensor, and forcefully causing the player to reel the bobber in via trapdoors activated by a skulk sensor.
Note: None of these work in Bedrock Edition, due to how tripwires and doors work. Mojang also does not want to allow AFK fishing in Bedrock Edition. As such, most AFK fishing designs involve exploiting bugs that get fixed in the next update.
Rays Works Design
Panda4994’s Design (1.11)
It also helps explain the mechanics of AFK fish farms.
Docm77's Realistic Fish Farm 1.13.0 (Only)
This farm is very useful, because it does not use fishing and can generate for you without having to hold down a button. It works using Soul Sand making Bubble Columns heading up to a cobweb layer, which looks like a fishing net and catches the fish, then they slowly suffocate and drop down onto the water conveyor to some hoppers.
This farm doesn't work anymore as of version 1.13.1 because the fish don't die in the cobwebs anymore.
Alternative Fish Farm
A modification to the farm that does work in 1.13.2 can be made by outlining a 2x2 or 3x3 bubble column of water with hoppers and cobwebs on top. The fish will land on the outside wall and suffocate in the cobwebs.
Docm77's Design (1.13)
This design uses an Iron Trapdoor instead of a door.
To use an AFK fish farm, the player will have to hold down the right-click button. When the rod is cast, it will trigger the tripwire, opening an iron door. When a fish is caught, the bobber will suddenly drop down, thus closing the door and breaking the line. This forced the rod to reel in whatever was caught. Beyond the iron door, there is a note block to absorb all the other right-clicks that don’t result in anything.
Semi-automatic fish farming (not designed for AFK)
Semi-automatic fish farms involve detecting the fishing rod using tripwire to close a door while fishing, improving fishing rates. The next video is an example:
This is a basic design using hoppers to automatically collect fish while being very quick and simple to build.
Although AFK fishing is very quick, in 1.16+ and in Bedrock, conventional AFK fishing does not work, so here are some tips.
Before that here is a quick run-through of the fishing mechanics:
- Time: A time between 5-30 seconds is chosen each time you cast a line. This can be decreased with Lure I, II, and III, with each level of Lure decreasing the wait time by 5 seconds. If the end time is less then 0 seconds, a new time is picked.
- Enchantments: Lure decreases wait time. It decreases the amount of time needed to get a catch. Luck of the sea brings in more treasure. See Fishing for more info.
So here are the main ways to speed up non-AFK fishing.
- Use an enchanted fishing rod, spending XP on a fishing rod may seem useless, but it is not, you can get amazing loot from fishing. there are 4 enchantments you can put on a fishing rod that are useful, Mending, Unbreaking, Lure, and Luck of the Sea.
- Mending + Unbreaking.
- Mending can be useful because you do not have to repair your fishing rod, as you get enough XP from fishing to keep the rod at full durability with just Mending. Unbreaking simply stops the rod from breaking as fast.
- Luck of the sea
- Simple, it gets you more treasure.
- Lure decreases the pre-determined wait time (5-30 seconds) by 5 seconds with each level.