Unlike many crops, bamboo does not need water. Also it can grow far higher than others.
Automatic bamboo farming design
Bamboo can be planted on grass blocks, dirt, coarse dirt, gravel, mycelium, podzol, sand, or red sand. At default random tick speed (3), each plant grows approximately every 4096 game ticks (204.8 seconds). When bone meal is used on it, it grows by 1–2 blocks. Bamboo can grow up to 12–16 blocks tall. The top of a bamboo plant requires a light level of 9 or above to grow.
How to build an automatic bamboo farm
- Place one grass block under light conditions 9 or higher.
- Place minecarts with hoppers underneath the grass to collect the items.
- Put a bamboo shoot on the grass block.
- Surround the growing area upwards with blocks so broken bamboo falls on the grass block under it.
- Place a piston two blocks up from the grass facing the bamboo.
- Put an observer on top of the piston, also facing the bamboo.
- Then put a piece of Redstone Dust behind the Observer to power the Piston.
How to build a big automatic bamboo farm
1. Mark out the area surround it with any immovable light source make sure the area inside the boundary isn't big or you may crash your computer or server during harvest
2. Make a simple two way flying machine and a way to start it and send it back
3. underneath the farm place hoppers or hopper mine carts to pick the items and a storage to which they deposit
4. place an observer so it looks at one of the place the bamboo grows recommended is 5 blocks high connect to the automatic flying machine starter
5. place the bamboo and it grows when the indicating bamboo reaches in front of the observer the flying machine breaks the bamboo and it gets collected
An Infinite Fuel Source
Connect the bamboo farm to a furnace to fuel it indefinitely. Bamboo burns quickly so it needs a sizable bamboo farm to keep it burning.