Turtles can be bred with seagrass. After two turtles are fed seagrass, one of them will burrow into nearby sand and lay 1-4 eggs. After a few minutes, the eggs will emit a cracking sound and hatch into baby turtles. If a player breaks a turtle egg before it hatches, no turtle will emerge. Mobs such as zombies, drowned, zombie villagers, zombie pigmen, strays, foxes, untamed cats, husks, skeletons, wolves or ocelots will try to kill baby turtles and destroy turtle eggs, so players may have to guard them, to ensure they will hatch.
- After a turtle lays its eggs, players will be able breed the turtle again.
- Unlike other animals, turtles have a very different breeding cooldown.
- Turtles, unlike other passive mobs (except fish), are water friendly.
- Baby turtles are now the smallest mob in the game, being a little less than half the size of an endermite.
- These mobs are currently the only mobs that can "breed a block" in Minecraft.
- It is possible for an adult turtle to swim into a boat and become stuck. This does not affect a player's ability to use the boat, and the turtle will "ride along" when the boat it is used.