BLM splash text
- The following discussion of a proposed addition is closed. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section.
- The original reasoning was not valid because it failed to provide evidence for causation. The author is pushing a racist PoV, apparently using as a source a website known for some rather questionable publications. Given persistent block evasion and intentional circumvention of anti-abuse measures, I believe there is no point in any further discussion, and as such, consider it appropriate to revert any edits of the topic-starter on this subject and take whatever administrative action is appropriate. --AttemptToCallNil (report bug, view backtrace) 00:42, 20 September 2020 (UTC)
The current events that surround BLM at the time of the addition are very much relevant. Especially because the addition wasn't during a release, but shipped during launcher update, which hints a lot that the time matters. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 17:34, 8 September 2020 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- That a specific person was killed a few days before the strings got pushed is not relevant to the splash itself, the splash also goes through some verification before being pushed, meaning it was written definitely before that event. String updates not in a release happen all the time, though normally it is translations. The corona related strings were also not related to that some countries had no rules set up and alike. At the very least, this information is very out-of-scope of the wiki. The only context needed is the protests, not specific events of the protests. Removing it now again for those reasons. FVbico (talk) 18:12, 8 September 2020 (UTC)
- If it isn't months, then that doesn't really matter. If it is multiple days, than it wouldn't have been an issue to wait those 5 days to push it with the 1.16.3 snapshots. Especially thinking about how BLM riots are a thing for months now. There is no need to hurry. Therefore i conclude that the timing is very important. If there were other recent BLM events that could have been motivation for the splash text, you are free to add those. But please do not remove information about the timing when it took place. In the worst case it is just useless information that doesn't hurt anybody. Also it is very disrespectful towards Aaron who lost his life, have some respect --126.96.36.199 18:51, 8 September 2020 (UTC)
- BLM has been happening for months, saying it's because of something that happened two days ago is just complete speculation. Don't add it until a source explicitly says so. Nixinova T C 19:55, 8 September 2020 (UTC)
- BLM has been happening for months, and mojang already donated to BLM months ago, and decided to not put it into the game back then. The decision to add a splash got made now, months later. Of course a BLM splash text about the current political movement is related to current events of this movement. I agree with the other posters that this information is relevant. --188.8.131.52 13:30, 9 September 2020 (UTC)
- i agree with this. It is relevant information and it isn't speculation. I added a link to a news article as source --184.108.40.206 20:51, 9 September 2020 (UTC)
- See WP:SYNTH. Correlation is not causation. Mojang has not said their reasons for adding the splash and as such you are not allowed to make up a reason for adding it. Further edit warring may lead to a block. Nixinova T C 20:54, 9 September 2020 (UTC)
- Mojang has not said their reason. And neither does mentioning the current political event relevant to the current political movement imply that this splash text is just because that one part of BLM. But it is relevant and important information to what the splash text is about. I do agree with the other users and edited it back. Other splash text descriptions also contain such informations. --220.127.116.11 20:59, 9 September 2020 (UTC)
Not it's not, stop adding unsourced material. You can't just find something tangentially related and state that is the reason. It's not relevant at all, and to prove that it is you must add a source. If I'm reverted again the page is being locked. Nixinova T C 21:06, 9 September 2020 (UTC)
- There is a source added. The splash text got added two days after Aaaron got murdered by BLM. Why do you deny that? It is neccessary information, multiple people tell you it is, finally accept that. Don't just spam undos. This information was also in the initial edit that added this splash text to the list. --18.104.22.168 21:07, 9 September 2020 (UTC)
- As I said, correlation is not causation. You need a Mojang source explaining the reasoning for adding the splash. Instead you are adding a tangentially related source that has nothing to do with Minecraft to make a coincidence seem meaningful. Do not add the material unless Mojang explicitly explains their reasoning. Nixinova T C 21:15, 9 September 2020 (UTC)
- With that reason you would have to remove every single splash text description where mojang didn't make an official statement. It is wrong what you do. Your argument is invalid and you know it. And you went for an edit war against multiple people without explaining and without even trying to resolve it on the talk page. The information was there initially, if you see that your edit is controversial, YOU have to talk here about that. You can't just force your edit, spam it, ignore multiple people, start an edit war, and then close it with your change in place because of said edit war that you started. --22.214.171.124 21:18, 9 September 2020 (UTC)
- Again, this event happened recently and is such, most likely not a referance, the others such as Aww man have clear referances and are big staples of the community, the BLM splash text is a reference to the fact that black people should be respected, or the organization BLM. Why would it have to do with an extremely recent, specific event? The splash text is BLM in general and is such, a valid reason for that splash, NOT becuase of a certain event WITHIN the whole general thing. The splash says BLM matters, not <person> matters.---Humiebee Discuss anything with me Look at my edits 21:21, 9 September 2020 (UTC)
- That's not how this works. You added controversial material, you the burden of proof is on you for being able to back up your claim. You couldn't, so you were reverted. As such the material much not be added to the page until the talk page discussion is completed with support on your side. The default lies with the status quo, so your reverts are in the wrong. And I quite doubt the "multiple people" aspect of this. Nixinova T C 21:25, 9 September 2020 (UTC)
- Your edit is controversial. I added the note back. Also the core controversial material is the splash text and mojang added it, just the days when BLM is in the news for murder. The information of the time and current happening of the current political movement that mojang is supporting is relevant information. --126.96.36.199 23:36, 19 September 2020 (UTC)
Agree with what FVbico said. We can't say for sure that the splashes were added because of that particular event, and it is not relevant to the Minecraft Wiki otherwise. –Sonicwave talk 19:49, 8 September 2020 (UTC)
Maybe add semi-protection to the page? all the supporting (edit warring] side is ip's and all the opposing sides are accounts (me, you, someone else).---Humiebee Discuss anything with me Look at my edits 21:11, 9 September 2020 (UTC)
- Locked for a week. Nixinova T C 21:15, 9 September 2020 (UTC)
While we're at it, we might as well list every black person that has died from police brutality to this page out of respect.(sarcasm) — Thomanski | t | c | 21:21, 9 September 2020 (UTC)
- Well, if mojang would have added a BLM splash text two days after George died, i would be all for adding that information as a note, and i bet you would be too, because its relevant. If it is different for you just because the current event surrounding BLM is murder while, then this is your personal issue --188.8.131.52 23:40, 19 September 2020 (UTC)
Nixinova: 1 week was insufficient; see both 19 September comments from anon above. The disruption continued after the protection lifted. I recommend semi-protection until at least after the US election on 3 November. ~ Amatulic (talk) 23:43, 19 September 2020 (UTC)
- I put indefinite. Given the current situation, there is no reason for me to believe an election is guaranteed to occur, or that the current situation regarding systemic racism in the US is guaranteed to become less "ongoing" after the election. --AttemptToCallNil (report bug, view backtrace) 23:52, 19 September 2020 (UTC)
- Well, seeing that BLM got founded and had their first riots during the second term of the Black president Obama, it is true that no election and no change in the USA will ever satisfy their demands. But the question here is now: Why are you talking about that and why do we have to talk about that in the wiki of a game that is PEGI 7? Leave your personal politics out of this! The decision whenever a current event is relevant in the description of a splash text that is referring said current event should not be influenced by your personal political agenda. I also note that all people who are somehow in favor of deleting a proper description of the added political splash text are "PRO" and know each other from discord. --184.108.40.206 00:33, 20 September 2020 (UTC)
- "Leave your personal politics out of this" says IP spamming personal politics on to this. Nixinova T C 00:35, 20 September 2020 (UTC)
- Nixinova, you should protect the talk page for a week (semi)---Humiebee Discuss anything with me Look at my edits 00:37, 20 September 2020 (UTC)
- I'll protect it if they start being disruptive on here but their comments like the one above have comedic value. Nixinova T C 00:39, 20 September 2020 (UTC)
I will Oppose adding controversial content TheGreatSpring (talk) 00:39, 20 September 2020 (UTC)
Split "Explanation" into "Explanation" and "Notes"
Many of the "explanations" are not really explanations, such as "Prior to 1.16 Pre-release 3, this splash read, 'S*xy!'". (Censored for the edit filter) I think it could be helpful to have an additional notes column for things like that. -PancakeIdentity (talk) 20:02, 9 October 2020 (UTC)
Reorder to be listed in numeric order instead of alphabetically
Right now, we order the splashes alphabetically instead of the order in which they are presented in splashes.txt. This makes editing this list extremely tedious in my experience. I propose we (I am willing to do this) reorder the sheet so it by default and in the editor sorts the way they're laid out in splashes.txt. The alphabetical option would still be available via sort keys if anyone wants to view them this way. -PancakeIdentity (talk) 18:25, 22 October 2020 (UTC)
Does Minecraft live in Pyroland?
Pyro speaks like this.
This is a TF2 reference
I opened Minecraft, and found the splash .party()!
I couldn't find it on the list. Should it be added? --Universespy (talk) 14:15, 17 November 2020 (UTC)
- It’s there. Right at the top. BDJP (t|c) 14:21, 17 November 2020 (UTC)
shouldn't 44 - pixels be described as referring to pixel-art style of the game?
There doesn’t seem do be a discussion about that in here even though the template is present on the page so hopefully this is going in the right place
Personally it makes no sense to me considering for example the article on logs https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Log isn’t plural.DogsRNice (talk) 20:53, 28 February 2021 (UTC)
- That's right, we don't pluralize article subjects.
- However, I Oppose the move to Splashes but would Support a move to Splash text because the prose in the article consistently refers to the topic that way. Amatulic (talk) 22:21, 28 February 2021 (UTC)
Some of them are outright removed, so they should not be mentioned there.--Olivia Capucine Elisabet (talk) 08:49, 18 March 2021 (UTC)
Pocket Edition exclusive splash
While I was playing Pocket Edition v0.7.3 alpha, I came across a splash that doesn't appear to be mentioned anywhere on the page: "
Annoying touch buttons!" Does anyone know if this one's still in current versions of the game? – JEC talk @ 23:15, 10 September 2021 (UTC)
- That particular splash is not in the most recent version. BDJP (t|c) 23:21, 10 September 2021 (UTC)
- Good to know. Thx – JEC talk @ 23:30, 10 September 2021 (UTC)
Minecraft Plus! exclusive splashes
...so there are some splashes that can only be found in Minecraft Plus! (they don't even show because it's a screensaver), maybe those splashes would be worth adding it in the page. There are some splashes in the file that can be found on the base game so that would be kind of hard to list. TheLogicalMine (talk) 12:54, 29 September 2021 (UTC)
Possible Splash Explanation(s)
Splash #395 (<3 Max & 99 & Ducky!) and education edition (Get Smarter!) might both be references to Get Smart? Might be a bit of a long shot though, could be something completely different. thoughts? Realqwerty64 (talk) 18:17, 8 October 2021 (UTC)
- Might or might not. Speculation should not be in articles. Amatulic (talk) 19:53, 8 October 2021 (UTC)
<PLAYERNAME> IS YOU
Could be a Baba Is You reference? Format checks out, since the letters are capital ingame, and the snapshot to add it came out 7 days after Baba Is You's release.
I suppose this could be too speculative to mention in Explanations, though.
KazyoBlep (talk) 15:35, 12 December 2021 (UTC)
Why did they remove "Привет Россия!" ?
This change is unlisted right? Blazerun19 (talk) 18:13, 27 April 2022 (UTC)
Because of Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Köpleres-s-s (✍) 19:35, 27 April 2022 (UTC)
that's just a biased, unnecessary and empty act. Blazerun19 (talk) 20:35, 27 April 2022 (UTC)
- No, it's removal of something that can be potentially controversial in a game that has nothing to do with politics. Amatulic (talk) 22:44, 27 April 2022 (UTC)
- Yet they added politics that are out-of-place and preachy 2 years ago. Blazerun19 (talk) 23:00, 27 April 2022 (UTC)
- A splash saying "Hello Russia!" in Russian didn't have political overtones 2 years ago. Times change, and so do requirements. Amatulic (talk) 14:56, 28 April 2022 (UTC)
Big Pointy Teeth! and Bring Home The Bacon!
Big Pointy teeth might also refer to the Killer Bunny and bring home the bacon is just like the Advancement called "Bring Home The B(e)acon" for powering a placed Beacon. – Unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 11:28, 9 May 2022 (UTC). Sign comments with ~~~~
- Or might not. Without any word about it from someone at Mojang, it's just speculation. Amatulic (talk) 16:58, 9 May 2022 (UTC)