Lanterns *are* transparent...
More specifically, they’re definitely transparent in the Legacy Console Edition.
In my village iron farm, the doors are considered houses because of a glass block that allows sunlight into the greater building. I decided to hang a lantern from each glass block (a total of 64) to test if daylight gets through.
If the lanterns were not transparent, my farm would have stopped dead, because a village house has to have an “inside” and “outside”. I am currently watching a golem get suffocated real life days after the change.
I didn’t want to edit the page because 1. I don’t know the rules, 2. Java Edition is, of course, the standard edition that I believe the wiki should be written for, and 3. I’d rather explain myself just in case someone else is wondering the same thing. Endy0822 (talk) 04:52, 26 April 2019 (UTC)
It shows a link to this page, but there's no link back to it. I feel like the bottom of "See Also" would bee a good place to put it. Any thoughts on that? --220.127.116.11 16:41, 13 March 2021 (UTC)
- The main game articles need not link to equivalent pages in the spinoff games. Anyway, this is already linked in the hatnote at the top of the article. Amatulic (talk) 00:29, 15 March 2021 (UTC)
Hanging the lanterns on walls
- Original entry
- Lanterns can be placed on walls with no support on Java edition but cannot do this on Java edition, it requires support from a block and won't hang from a fence or the wall.
- later edited to
- In Java Edition, lanterns can be placed on walls with no support. In Bedrock Edition lanterns must be placed on the top or bottom surface of a solid block, and cannot be placed on the side.
This is confusing beyond measure. In Java sure you can place lanterns on top of or underneath Wall blocks. I don't know about Bedrock. I'm fairly sure you can't place them against side of a solid block (a wall in the common sense) on either of the editions (100% positive on Java).
For now, I just deleted the confusing and probably erroneous entry. If someone can restore it to a *correct* working shape, it would be welcome.
Sharfpang-fduser (talk) 16:06, 27 June 2021 (UTC)
- That's fine. It was redundant with another sentence in the same section anyway. I just made a tweak to what remains (changed "above or below" to "on the top or bottom surfaces") Amatulic (talk) 17:04, 27 June 2021 (UTC)
- Just tested: both on JE and BE you can hang lanterns under Walls and place them on top of them. You can't attach them to sides of blocks on either. Sharfpang-fduser (talk) 17:48, 27 June 2021 (UTC)