Minecraft Wiki

The Minecraft Wiki is no longer considered as official by Microsoft and therefore several changes are required to be made, including to the wiki's logo. Please read this announcement for more information.


Minecraft Wiki
Minecraft Wiki

Update split[]

MarioProtIV removed a large portion of text from this page on the justification that it will be sent to the 1.18 article. Perhaps it's just me, but shouldn't we wait on this until we know how the update will be split? Mojang never explicitly said that "part 2" will be called 1.18. It could be a sub-version of 1.17 for all we know. |\| () |\/| /\ |) | Talk | Discord | NMC 15:44, 14 April 2021 (UTC)

I suggest we make a page titled "Java Edition Caves & Cliffs Part Two" or something like that, and make a redirect from Java Edition 1.18. TheYouInYouTube | (talk|blog|contribs) 15:51, 14 April 2021 (UTC)
I like the idea of C&C Parts 1 & 2 (vs. 1.17 and 1.18) SirDaddicus (talk) 17:32, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
Kinda agreed with that idea. Either way, Mario split the article before anyone even brought up the topic... this should be discussed further. |\| () |\/| /\ |) | Talk | Discord | NMC 15:55, 14 April 2021 (UTC)
A page on whatever the second part of the update will constitute already appears to have been created at the page name Minecraft 1.18. Personally I would rename the aforementioned page to one of the suggestions above, obviously leaving a redirect behind as it would be commonly searched, and also having a redirect to whatever the Minecraft 1.18 is renamed to at Java Edition 1.18. The gamer 987654321 (talk) 16:03, 14 April 2021 (UTC)

Please note, Mojang haven't said about version for two part of Caves & Cliffs will be 1.18 or 1.17.1 So wait for Mojang confirmation that two part will be 1.18 or 1.17.1 Glenstevens1231 (talk) 16:02, 14 April 2021 (UTC) I mean given the amount they postponed its virtually impossible they would move to to 1.17.x.. --MarioProtIV (talk) 16:06, 14 April 2021 (UTC)

I don't feel sonething so big, like increasing height will be in a minor version, that is pretty "absurd". I feel spliting this to 2 pages shouldn't be done yet, so we can prevent people from insering facts (so we can minimize vandalism on the wiki) --TreeIsLife (talk) 16:23, 14 April 2021 (UTC)

The update's being split in two[]

Probably into 1.18 and 1.17. World gen stuff is coming in december. Other stuff is coming in summer sometime.

Archaeology being delayed beyond 1.18

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YgKUZnUyak Highlandhill (talk) 22:07, 14 April 2021 (UTC)

 Support splitting because they said that they would be 2 separate releasesHumiebeetalk contribs 22:09, 14 April 2021 (UTC)
 Support splitting per above. The update has two releases, ergo two pages. TheYouInYouTube | (talk|blog|contribs) 22:49, 14 April 2021 (UTC)
 Weak support per the above, but I'd wait for confirmation that the second wave is called 1.18 before committing to such a change. -- PanchamBro (SansUT1) (talkcontributions) 03:04, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
 Weak support on the condition that we do not pre-emptively call an article 1.18 until we know whether that is the name of Part 2. Also keep in mind that, unless I am mistaken, we do not yet have a full list of every individual tiny thing that is definitely being taken off Part 1 for now. |\| () |\/| /\ |) | Talk | Discord | NMC 05:18, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
 Support provided we get confirmation that Part 2 is called 1.18. ManosSef (talk) 17:41, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
We do know what is in part 1 and 2. The only thing I am unsure about is the command format, I believe part 2 based on the fact that it is more technical.Humiebeetalk contribs 15:57, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
 Not yet Yes, they said "2 releases", but you never know, if they will skip another release (or will it release as 1.17_2). I want more information, and then create articles. Also at this point, 1.18 may also break Style Guide, so we should not make decisions, which can lead to increase of vandalism --TreeIsLife (talk) 07:46, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
 Mixed I support splitting, but not into 1.17 and 1.18. The other update being 1.18 hasn't been confirmed. I'd support a title like "Caves and Cliffs second release" or something, with a redirect from 1.18. -PancakeIdentity (talk) 08:20, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
 Comment Caves & Cliffs part 2 is inconsistant with Adventure Update.Humiebeetalk contribs 15:54, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
 Comment The reason for that is we know Adventure Update Pt. 2 is 1.0.0, we do not know the number for C&C pt.2, so it would be a temporary name until we do. TheYouInYouTube | (talk|blog|contribs) 16:10, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
@TheYouInYoutube:, I really think we should hold this off until more info is given, it should not be split, closed, created, etc until more info is said. Note that BE's new terrain gen was added for some reason AFTER 21w15a? There is a chance that BE may be merged, java split.Humiebeetalk contribs 22:26, 15 April 2021 (UTC)


I reverted @TheYouInYouTube:'s edit on 1.18 due it is too early to just smash a page there. We typically wait at least 3 days, so everybody has chance to participate and say how he wants to manage this. --TreeIsLife (talk) 07:46, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
I make a discussion at MCW:ADMIN#Java Edition 1.18 and I have a LOT of questions.Humiebeetalk contribs 15:57, 15 April 2021 (UTC)


Henrik recently replied to a tweet that asked if bedrock would also be split into 1.17 and 1.18. This confirms its existance I guess.Humiebeetalk contribs 02:02, 16 April 2021 (UTC)

Can you link the tweet? I can't find it TheYouInYouTube | (talk|blog|contribs) 19:34, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
Here https://twitter.com/henrikkniberg/status/1383066677512912903 19:40, 16 April 2021 (UTC)

What happened to the ore distribution graphs?[]

The graphs disappeared, probably because they're not accurate anymore. But, I would like to see a similar graph for what is in snapshot 21W15A, if possible. SirDaddicus (talk) 02:11, 17 April 2021 (UTC)

Concerning features listed in this article[]

According to https://mobile.twitter.com/kingbdogz/status/1386776067046785025, the Warden and Deep Dark features as a whole will not be included in Part 1 of Caves & Cliffs. He even replied to someone about the Sculk Sensor and said that it would only be available using Commands in Part 1. These features therefore should not be listed here, but rather in the Java/Bedrock Edition 1.18 pages. Otherwise it inaccurately implies that these features will be included in Part 1. Also something I just noticed, why does the article say "referred to as the "deep dark" temporarily"? We have no evidence that this name is temporary, and given how it is always used and almost always capitalized, it is quite likely that this is the final name.--Ziad El-Moursy (talk) 02:22, 27 April 2021 (UTC)

Moved to 1.18.  Nixinova T  C   04:15, 27 April 2021 (UTC)

Java version requirement[]

Article Java Edition 21w19a lists Java 16 as minimum required version, which I was able to partially confirm. The snapshot doesn't run with OpenJDK 11, but OpenJDK 17 works. Now, I'm not familiar with Minecraft development - will this requirement also be valid for Minecraft JE 1.17? In that case, this article should also reflect that requirement. -- 20:22, 12 May 2021 (UTC)

I believe that since it is part of the current snapshots, which solely contain JE 1.17 features, Java 16 will be the minimum system requirement starting with 1.17 and onwards. From what I observed, all features or changes included in the snapshots of a certain version (1.17 in this case) inevitably make it to the final release of that version, which is probably why they reverted the changes to world generation in the snapshots and kept them in a datapack instead.– Unsigned comment added by Ziad El-Moursy (talkcontribs) at 21:48, 12 May 2021 (UTC). Sign comments with ~~~~

Grammar is incorrect[]

In the article, it says "Undead mobs that are halfway in sand blocks dont burn in daylight," instead of, "Undead mobs that are halfway in sand blocks don't burn in daylight."-- 14:01, 8 June 2021 (UTC)

Just fix the error when you find it. Oh well never mind, the page is semi-protected. — Lumincand 14:19, 8 June 2021 (UTC)


No longer upcoming for part 1. --Starfire2020 (talk) 04:21, 9 June 2021 (UTC)Starfire