The stray is one of three mobs added in The Frostburn Update. This mob is biome-specific. It is a variation of a skeleton that wears torn clothing. Its behavior is also similar to a skeleton.
Like the skeleton, strays are hard to fight head on without proper equipment.
When the stray hits a player with an arrow, the player will be temporarily affected by Slowness. It will only inflict Slowness I, which means it can get away from a player easier if it wishes to do so and if they're not already cornered.
- Despite the Stray's slowness effect, fighting it is relatively similar to fighting a regular skeleton.
- A player can jump and sprint right at a lone stray with a sword and rapid click at it to kill it without taking any damage in the Windows 10 Edition, so long as the sword can kill the stray in three or less hits.
- A bow with either the Power IV or Power V enchantment can kill a stray in one or two hits.
- Bringing a wolf is considered a strategy for fighting a stray as strays will avoid wolves just like skeletons and wither skeletons would.
- This is one of only three biome-specific mob variants, the other ones being the Husk and the Drowned.
- Despite using arrows of slowness, the stray itself is not immune to arrows of slowness that are being used on it.
- Some people believe the stray's torn clothing is torn dyed leather armor. However, it appears to be purely cosmetic, as Strays have been sighted wearing different kinds of armor.
- There is a glitch in the Pocket Edition where strays equipped with leather armor appears to be dyed white.