20 × 10
In Java Edition:
In Bedrock Edition:
80% of skeletons spawned directly under the sky in Snowy Tundra, Snowy Mountains, Ice Spikes, Frozen River, Frozen Ocean,[BE only] Deep Frozen Ocean[BE only] and Legacy Frozen Ocean[BE only] biomes spawn as strays.
Strays do not spawn naturally from monster spawners, even when exposed to direct sky in Java Edition. In Bedrock Edition, 1% of spiders and cave spiders can spawn as a spider jockey with 80% chance to be a stray spider jockey or stray cave spider jockey.
The stray has its own spawn egg in the creative inventory.
When a skeleton is kept inside powder snow for 7 seconds (140 game ticks), it begins shaking. After another 15 seconds (300 game ticks) it becomes a stray. The stray appears with full health even if the previous skeleton did not. Items being held or worn by a skeleton when it becomes a stray remain unchanged.
- 0–2 bones. The maximum drop is increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 0-5 bones with Looting III.
- 0–2 arrows. The maximum drop is increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 0-5 arrows with Looting III.
- 0–1 arrow of Slowness (if stray was killed by the Player or tamed wolf). Each level of Looting increases the chance of this drop by 50% of the previous chance, resulting in a maximum of 93.75% with Looting III.
- Any picked-up equipment has a 100% chance of dropping and drops with the same damage level it had when picked up.
- Any naturally spawned equipment (including the bow) has an 8.5% chance of dropping (9.5% with Looting I, 10.5% with Looting II and 11.5% with Looting III). It is usually badly damaged and has a chance of being enchanted.
- Strays drop 5 when killed by a player or tamed wolf, and an extra 1–3, if the stray has equipment.
Strays behave the same as normal skeletons, however, they shoot tipped arrows that inflict Slowness for 30 seconds on any target that they hit. When strays are underwater, they do not shoot arrows. Instead, they use melee attacks that inflict Slowness. Strays themselves are not immune to Slowness inflicted on them.
Strays make similar noises to skeletons, with an echoing effect.
Strays don’t take damage from freezing in powder snow.
|Sound||Subtitles||Source||Description||Resource location||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Stray rattles||Hostile Creatures||Random||?||?||16|
|Stray dies||Hostile Creatures||Dying||?||?||16|
|Stray hurts||Hostile Creatures||Taking damage||?||?||16|
|Name||Resource location||Entity tags (JE)||Translation key|
|Name||Resource location||Numeric ID||Translation key|
Strays have entity data associated with them that contains various properties.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities
- Tags common to all mobs
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Resource location|
|Not Today, Thank You||Block a projectile using your shield.||Suit Up||Block any projectile with a shield.|
|Adventure||Adventure, exploration, and combat||—||Kill any entity, or be killed by any entity.|
|Monster Hunter||Kill any hostile monster||Adventure||Kill one of these 34 mobs:
|Monsters Hunted||Kill one of every hostile monster||Monster Hunter||Kill each of these 34 mobs:
|1.10||April 11, 2016||Jens Bergensten tweets an image of a new skeleton-type mob.|
|Added spawn eggs for strays, which strays can be spawned from.|
|pre2||The spawn egg for strays has been removed.|
|New sounds have now been added for strays, which allow them to have their own sounds. Previously, they had the same sounds as a regular skeleton.|
|1.11||16w32a||The spawn egg for strays has been re-added.|
|The entity ID |
|The in-game name of strays is now "Stray" instead of "entity.Skeleton.name".|
|1.13||18w19a||Strays now sink underwater.|
|Strays no longer drown underwater.|
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of strays has been changed.|
|1.17||21w05a||Skeletons now convert to strays when in powder snow.|
|21w13a||Strays are now immune to freezing.|
|Skeletons now only take 20 seconds to convert to strays when in powder snow, instead of 45.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|v0.15.0||build 1||Added strays.|
|v0.16.0||build 5||New sounds have now been added for strays, which allow them to have their own sounds. Previously, they had the same sounds as the regular skeleton.|
|1.0.0||alpha 0.17.0.2||The clothing of strays now has their own overlay and no longer glitch through their bones.|
|1.1.0||alpha 220.127.116.11||The entity ID has now changed from |
|1.5.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Strays now sink underwater.|
|Strays now use melee attacks that inflict Slowness and not use ranged attacks while underwater.|
|1.9.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Strays now have a correct overlay model.|
|1.10.0||beta 126.96.36.199||The texture of strays has now changed.|
|1.16.0||beta 188.8.131.52||Strays can now pick up items.|
|Strays now use melee attacks when not holding a bow. Prior to this, strays used any items as ranged weapons to shoot arrows of Slowness normally.|
|1.17.0||beta 184.108.40.206||Strays are now immune to freezing.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||Skeletons now convert to strays when in powder snow.|
|release||Strays don’t drop wither skeleton skulls anymore if killed by a charged creeper.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU46||CU36||1.38||Patch 15||1.0.1||Added strays.|
|TU54||CU44||1.52||Patch 24||1.0.4||Added stray spawn eggs, which strays can be spawned from.|
|TU69||1.76||Patch 38||Strays now sink underwater.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- When explaining the origin of the stray, Jeb stated, "They’re based on a concept that emerged from a game jam the Bellevue team had, where they were just adding a bunch of stuff to Minecraft - whatever they wanted. Jason Major made a bunch of cool mobs and I thought these particular ones fitted [sic] really well with what we were already planning."
- Strays and other variants of a skeleton do not know how to use a crossbow, despite the same using method as a bow.
- In their texture, strays appear to be wearing a diamond pendant around their neck, but they do not currently drop diamonds.
- According to the official Minecraft website, slowness arrows are actually ice-tipped arrows that freeze on impact.
The specific instructions are: strays without bows, aiming render is replaced with targeting mode
A stray standing next to a normal skeleton.
One of the first images of strays, as tweeted by Jeb.
Two strays, one in full gold armor. Note the old texture.
In other media
Lego Minecraft Stray.
- "Meet the Stray" by Marsh Davies. Minecraft.net, December 14, 2016