|This article is/was featured on the Main Page of Minecraft Wiki!|
Stone is the most common block in the Overworld, after air, in all current game modes. It turns into cobblestone when mined after Beta unless using a pickaxe with the Silk Touch enchantment. Also, after Beta, it is possible to turn cobblestone back into stone by cooking it inside a furnace. Then you can smelt it into Smooth Stone as of the 1.14 update. Stone also forms when lava flows on top of water.
Stone is mostly found at least three or four blocks underneath the grass layers. Stone is useful because it is an easy material to build with, although it cannot be used for the crafting of tools. Mason villagers will buy stone from a player in exchange for an emerald.
Stone is one of the blocks that silverfish can go into and spawn from.
Stone requires any pickaxe to harvest, otherwise, it will drop nothing.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
- There is an extremely rare glitch in which if a player goes down a diagonal stone tunnel, they will 'no-clip' through the wall and suffocate.
- It is suggested to be an igneous rock as it comes from the cooling of lava.
- Stone's blast resistance is not very strong. Oddly enough, when turned into cobblestone, its blast resistance increases.
- Stone is one of the only blocks that gives you something different when dropped unless you have Silk Touch on your pickaxe.
- Stone (along with one block of cobblestone) can be found in the void preset when creating a buffet world.
- Bedrock has a high contrast stone texture.