Squid are eight-limbed, passive aquatic mobs that can be found in Water in any depth of all Biomes, spawning on any Difficulty. Squids were the first water-dwelling mob to appear in Minecraft, the others being the Guardian, Elder Guardian, all the different types of fish, Dolphins, and Turtles.
These mobs can survive even in a block of water. When moving about, the squid's tentacles will open and close, giving them the appearance of pushing themselves through the water, which they will do slowly. Squids do not take an exact path of travel, and they will make no attempt to interact with a player. Squids become immobile when they become beached, also taking damage over time as they are out of water. They can take fall damage and burn like any land mob, but they cannot drown. Squids behave like other passive mobs and can despawn over time. If a squid is killed, it will drop one to three Ink Sacs. Squids will occasionally find their way up to the surface of the water. This can kill them, however, if they do not find their way back to the lower depths. Squids are extremely knockback resistant on land. As of 1.13 - The Update Aquatic, squids will shoot ink when attacked.
- Squids are one of the only passive mobs unable to be mated to another.
- Boats can be damaged by any squid on the surface of the water.
- Hitting a squid (with anything) did not make it jolt or run around like other animals; however, they did swim at an accelerated speed away from the attacker.
- This was fixed in 1.13.
- As of 1.4 updates, squids now start getting hurt when brought up to land and getting beached. Therefore, ink sacs may be found on river shorelines or beaches.
- Squids are the only mobs that don't have a death animation.
- Squids used to be able to be milked in the Indev stages of Minecraft.
- A squid's mouth can be seen, but not their beaks.
- Guardians and Elder Guardians will attack squids.
- In Minecraft: Bedrock Edition, squids can produce a floating black ink particle when attacked.
- Squids were added in the Pocket Edition version 0.11.0 Build 1.
- Squids have the highest knockback resistance in the game.
- Squids cannot be damaged or attacked by its tentacles.
- In Minecraft: Bedrock Edition, there is an exclusive feature where players can find baby squids.
- Prior to 1.13, in the Minecraft: Java Edition, squids didn't squirt ink when hit.
- Despite being called a "squid", it has 8 arms instead of 10.
- Prior to 1.9, squids did not have any sound effects, and were the only mobs that had no sound effects.