Sprinting is a method of transportation that allows the player to move faster, at the expense of depleting saturation. While sprinting, the player's field of view expands slightly. Players also inflict more knockback on the first hit when sprinting.
To sprint, the player can press sprint while moving, or double tap forward. The player cannot sprint if their hunger bar is at 6 () or below.
Mobs that can sprint:
- Iron golems
- Wither skeletons
- Wandering traders
Sprinting allows the player to move at around 5.612 meters/second, which is 30 percent faster than the normal walking speed of around 4.317 m/s, jumping while sprinting allows the player to move with an average speed of 7.127 m/s. The player can turn while sprinting, resulting in slightly reduced speed. Sprinting also increases the speed of flying in Creative mode, and the speed of swimming. Although "sprinting" while mounted on a minecart, boat, horse, pig, or strider increases the field of vision like actual sprinting, it does not increase the entity's speed.
Sprinting produces particles at the player's feet corresponding to the block type they are running on. Also, when a player attacks any mob (excluding squids, iron golems and shulkers) while sprinting, the mob suffers a larger knockback than usual. Sprinting and holding down jump at the same time is usually faster, but actually becomes slower when under the effect of a speed potion of level II or higher.
Sprinting ends when the player collides with a solid block at an angle of greater than 5.5 degrees[note 1], sneaks, blocks or attacks a mob. If none of these happen, the player automatically stops sprinting after 30 seconds.[note 2] Sprinting also ends if the hunger bar reduces to 6 () or less.
- Note: Sprint keys were added in Java Edition 1.7.2. Also, the video does not mention that sprinting automatically stops after 30 seconds.
|Java Edition Beta|
|August 28, 2011||Sprinting was first mentioned during PAX 2011. The sprinting mechanic would expand the combat system and increase player mobility.|
|September 2, 2011||Jeb uploaded a video featuring the difference between sprinting and regular walking.|
|1.5||13w05b||Stairs no longer prevent sprinting.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Added "Sprint" button, defaulting to Left Ctrl.|
|Added the ability to "sprint" in minecarts, boats and horses. This changes only FOV and does not increase speed.|
|1.8||14w34d||Sprinting now speeds up flying.|
|1.13||18w07a||The player can now sprint while swimming. Doing so makes the player's hitbox smaller, allowing them to fit into 1 block gaps. It also greatly increases the player's swimming speed.|
|1.14.2||Pre-Release 2||Sprinting now pauses when the player is having food or potions, but pressing sprint while having food or potions does not start sprinting.|
|1.15||19w41a||Sprint inputs can now be switched between Hold and Toggle mode in the Accessibility Options.|
|1.18||21w38a||Low-angle collisions with blocks no longer stop the player from sprinting.|
|21w41a||Increased the angle at which colliding with blocks does not prevent sprinting.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|v0.12.1||build 1||Added sprinting.|
|1.4.0||beta 22.214.171.124||The player can now sprint while swimming. Doing so causes the player to dive down to the lowest point of the water pool. It also greatly increases the player's swimming speed.|
|beta 126.96.36.199||The player can now fit into 1 block gaps when sprint-swimming.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU5||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added sprinting.|
- Sprinting and jumping while under a 2-block high ceiling causes a player to move at a speed almost twice as fast as regular sprinting speed, but it consumes a hunger point every second. It is also possible to jump 5 blocks when jumping out of the 2-block high ceiling.
- Sprint-jumping actually costs less exhaustion per block travelled compared to pure sprinting, despite being faster. This is because exhaustion increases while the player is on the ground. While sprint-jumping, most of of the distance is covered in mid-air.
- In the Bedrock version, there is a short window of time in which the player can move away from the solid block in order to continue sprinting. In the Java version, sprinting ends immediately upon colliding.
- If sprint is held, sprinting lasts longer than 30 seconds.