Minecraft Wiki
For the enchantment in Minecraft Dungeons, see MCD:Soul Speed.

Soul Speed is an enchantment that can be applied on boots and allows the player to walk more quickly on soul sand and soul soil.


Soul Speed can be acquired via bartering with piglins, who may offer enchanted books and iron boots with a random level of Soul Speed. Piglins may spawn wearing golden boots enchanted with Soul Speed which have a chance to be dropped when they are killed. Enchanted books and golden boots with a random level of Soul Speed may appear in bastion remnant "other" chests.

Soul Speed is a treasure enchantment. It cannot be obtained from enchanting in an enchanting table. Unlike other treasure enchantments, it cannot be obtained from most chest loot (except from chests in bastion remnants), fishing, or trading.



When walking on soul sand or soul soil, Soul Speed increases the player's speed. When wearing boots with Soul Speed, the player's speed is adjusted by the multiplier (Soul Speed Level * 0.105) + 1.3. The speed decrease of soul sand has no effect on Soul Speed, meaning that the player can walk on soul sand with the same speed as on soul soil.

While Soul Speed walkways are not as fast as some other means of transit (such as blue ice tracks), Soul Speed boots do not require vehicles such as minecarts or boats in order to apply their speed boost. This makes Soul Speed walkways useful for increasing movement speed across more uneven or varied terrain where vehicles might prove unwieldy.

Carpets or slabs[JE only] on top of soul sand or soul soil does not prevent the speed increase from Soul Speed.

Player's speed on compatible blocks compared to player's speed on non-soul blocks:
Enchantment Level Speed Increase
Soul Speed I 40.5%
Soul Speed II 51%
Soul Speed III 61.5%
Soul Speed IV 72%[note 1]
Soul Speed V 82.5%[note 1]
Soul Speed VI 93%[note 1]
  1. a b c Exclusive to commands.


The durability of worn boots enchanted with Soul Speed has a 4% chance to go down for each compatible block stepped on. This chance can be decreased by 20/27/30 percent by enchanting the boots with Unbreaking I/II/III, respectively.


Soul Speed Particle Animation

Soul Particle

Soul particles appear when walking on one of the compatible blocks.


The soul_speed_blocks tag determines which blocks are compatible with Soul Speed.


Java Edition:

SoundSubtitlesSourceDescriptionResource locationTranslation keyVolumePitchAttenuation
Soul escapesPlayersWhen a player runs on soul sand or soul soil using soul speed bootsparticle.soul_escapesubtitles.particle.soul_escapevaries [sound 1]0.6-1.012
  1. Has a 70% chance to be 0.15 and a 30% chance to be 0.0

Bedrock Edition:

SoundSourceDescriptionResource locationVolumePitch
PlayersWhen a player runs on soul sand or soul soil using soul speed bootsparticle.soul_escape0.0-0.10.6-1.0

Data values[]


Java Edition:

NameIdentifierTranslation key
Soul Speedsoul_speedenchantment.minecraft.soul_speed

Bedrock Edition:

NameIdentifierNumeric ID Translation key
Soul Speedsoul_speed36enchantment.soul_speed


Java Edition
1.1620w11aAdded Soul Speed.
20w13aItems enchanted with Soul Speed are now slightly more common when bartering.
20w16aSoul Speed enchanted books can now be found in bastion remnant chests.
1.16.2Pre-release 1The Soul Speed boost is now kept when jumping and when the soul block is covered by non-full blocks, such as slabs.
Bedrock Edition
1.16.0beta Soul Speed.
1.16.100beta Speed books are no longer obtainable through raids, loot chests, or fishing. It can now be obtained only from chests in bastion remnants.


Issues relating to "Soul Speed" are maintained on the bug tracker. Report issues there.


  • In Bedrock Edition the particles generated by the enchantment are bright in the darkness because they don't respect light levels.[1]
  • Soul Speed works by stomping the souls out of the blocks, hence the particles.[2]