A slime is a rare mob, which can spawn in three different sizes: big, small, or tiny. A slime will split into two smaller slimes when killed, unless the slime is already the smallest size.
Slimes can only be found in Swamp Biomes, below layer 40 (in 1/10 of all chucks), or in Superflat worlds. Big and small slimes are Hostile, tiny slimes are technically hostile too, but they have zero attack damage and are popular pets, because they will follow a player around, and do not require Taming. However, a slime can Despawn if it is not given a Name Tag. Slimes of sizes small and tiny can climb Ladders.
- Before update 1.4.2, slimes could spawn in any biome.
- As of update 1.5, a slime's spawn rate is determined by the movement of the Moon.
- Before update 1.8,smaller slimes could not swim.
- Smaller slimes can climb ladders despite them not having arms.
- A slime's health in HP is the square of their size; their edge length in meters, half of their size; and their attack strength in HP.
- Slimes, unlike all other hostile mobs in the game, won't prevent Sleeping.This can be useful for players who keep tiny slimes as pets.
- Slimes used to have an old texture.They had black eyes and mouth, instead of transparent green.
- Slimes are the only mobs that attack every half-second, opposed to every second.
- Slimes previously had sound effects which did not sound as "squishy".
- In the Beta stage of Minecraft, slimes could spawn in peaceful difficulty, but they would still attack players.
- If slimes are hit by an Arrow fired by a Skeleton, they will ignore the skeleton. This does not happen with any other mob.
- Slime can potentially range from size 1 to 256, by using "/summon".