A slime is a rare mob, which can spawn in three different sizes: big, small, or tiny. A slime will split into two smaller slimes when killed, unless the slime is already the smallest size.
Slimes can only be found in Swamp Biomes, below layer 40 (in 1/10 of all chucks), or in Superflat worlds. Big and small slimes are Hostile, but tiny slimes are Passive and are popular pets, because they will follow a player around, and do not require Taming. However, a slime can Despawn if it is not given a Name Tag. Slimes of sizes small and tiny can climb Ladders.
- Before update 1.4.2, slimes could spawn in any biome.
- As of update 1.5, a slime's spawn rate is determined by the movement of the Moon.
- Before update 1.8,smaller slimes could not swim.
- Smaller slimes can climb ladders despite them not having arms.
- A slime's health in HP is the square of their size; their edge length in meters, half of their size; and their attack strength in HP.
- Slimes, unlike all other hostile mobs in the game, won't prevent Sleeping.This can be useful for players who keep tiny slimes as pets.
- Slimes used to have an old texture.They had black eyes and mouth, instead of transparent green.
- Slimes are the only mobs that attack every half-second, opposed to every second.
- Slimes previously had sound effects which did not sound as "squishy".
- In the Beta stage of Minecraft, slimes could spawn in peaceful difficulty, but they would still attack players.
- If slimes are hit by an Arrow fired by a Skeleton, they will ignore the skeleton. This does not happen with any other mob.
- Slime can potentially range from size 1 to 256, by using "/summon".