30 × 15
20 ( × 10) when closed, 0 () when opened
Shulkers spawn during the generation of end cities, which are located on the outer islands of the End. They usually spawn on the walls of the city and on end ships. They do not despawn naturally, even in Peaceful difficulty, and once killed, they do not respawn unless spawners are used.[until JE 1.17]
There is a chance that a new shulker of the same color will spawn when one shulker hits another shulker (or itself) with a shulker bullet.
The following conditions need to be met:
- When the shulker has less than half its health remaining and gets hit, it can teleport without spawning a new shulker. The chance for this to happen is 25%. It uses the same process as described below. If the attempt fails, it continues with the spawn attempt.
- The hit shulker must have its lid open.
- The hit shulker needs to find somewhere to teleport. For this, it takes a random block in a 17×17×17 cuboid centered on the shulker and then checks if the block has a valid face to teleport to. If not it proceeds to try this up to 4 more times. If no valid face is found, the attempt fails.
- Each other shulker within 8 blocks of the hit shulker decreases the odds of success by 20%. When five or more other shulkers are nearby, no shulkers will spawn.
If the attempt succeeds a new shulker spawns where the old shulker was before it teleported.
Shulkers also drop 5 when killed by a player or a tamed wolf.
The shell of the mob looks similar to a purpur block, blending in relatively easily to its surroundings. Inside the shell of the mob is a small yellow head with two eyes. Shulkers are uncolored by default when using spawn eggs, while white is the default when using
/summon or spawners. Spawning shulkers with other colors can be done using the
/summon command, as detailed below.
Shulkers generally remain stationary, attached to an adjacent solid block. However, if the block the shulker occupies becomes something other than air or the shulker finds itself not adjacent to any solid block, or the shell cannot open, it attempts to teleport (5 attempts per tick) to an air block within a 17×17×17 cuboid centered on the shulker that is adjacent to a solid block. If it finds no solid blocks to teleport onto (like when in the Void) it does not move.
When a shulker is spawned next to another shulker, one of them teleports away. Shulkers avoid teleporting adjacent to another shulker.
Shulkers occasionally open their shell for 1–3 seconds to peer outside. When a target comes within about 16 blocks, it opens fully and shoots guided projectiles that follow the player, moving only along the X, Y, or Z axes and leaving trails of white particles. The projectiles can be destroyed by attacking them or blocked with a shield. If the projectile hits an entity, it does 4 of damage and inflicts the Levitation status effect for 10 seconds. (Levitation has no effect underwater, or while riding the mobs.) The shulker continues firing every 1–5.5 seconds while the target remains in range. If the shulker's target dies with projectiles still in flight, they fall to the ground.
When its shell is closed, a shulker has 20 ( × 10) armor points and deflects arrows. When the shell opens, it loses this natural armor and takes damage as normal. When at less than half health, a shulker has a 25% chance of teleporting (as described above) after taking damage. When a shulker is attacked, other shulkers in the area target the attacker as well.
In Java Edition, shulkers don't take burning damage from lava or fire, but in Bedrock Edition they are not immune to fire damage. They drown in water, but try to teleport away when water or lava flows into the block they occupy. They do not take damage if they touch water, unlike endermen.
Shulkers are treated differently than true blocks. For example, mobs are unable to pathfind around or jump over them, and falling on them from a height does not produce particles. Their spawn egg also does not destroy blocks such as grass.
Shulkers can be hooked by a fishing rod. However, they cannot be reeled.
In Bedrock Edition, they apply Levitation II instead of I.
A shulker bullet is a guided projectile that is shot from shulkers, and they follow the targeted entity along the X, Y, or Z axis and leave trails of white particles. A shulker bullet that hits a mob or player deals damage and affects them with Levitation for ten seconds.
The shulker's projectiles also have entity data that control its movement.
The bullet can be destroyed by hitting it with any item, shooting it with an arrow, or blocking it with a shield. It explodes upon contact with a block. The explosion does not destroy any blocks and does not damage nearby mobs or players.
Shulkers can be moved by boats or minecarts; pushing a boat/cart into a shulker causes it to board. In a boat, the shulker retains the orientation it had before it was put in the boat. For example, if a shulker is attached to the ceiling: it is possible to build a platform adjacent to the shulker and slide a boat under it, at which point the shulker moves into the boat but appears upside-down. A boat's sides block some of a shulkers projectiles (more if it is upside-down).
A shulker pushed through the exit portal gets transported to the origin in the Overworld. Since shulkers teleport when not adjacent to a solid block they must be pushed down the central pillar of the exit portal with a piston.
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Shulker bullet explodes||?||?||?||?||16|
|Shulker bullet breaks||?||?||?||?||16|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Translation key|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
Shulkers have entity data associated with them that contains various properties.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities
- Tags common to all mobs
- APX: Approximate X coordinate.
- APY: Approximate Y coordinate.
- APZ: Approximate Z coordinate.
- AttachFace: Direction of the block the shulker is attached to.
- Color: The color of the shulker. Default is 0. Shulkers spawned by eggs or as part of End cities have value 16.
- Peek: Height of the head of the shulker.
Shulker bullets have entity data associated with them that contains various properties.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities
- Tags common to all projectiles
- Steps: How many "steps" it takes to attack to the target. The higher it is, the further out of the way the bullet travels to get to the target. If set to 0, it makes no attempt to attack the target and instead uses TXD/TYD/TZD in a straight line (similar to fireballs).
- Target: The UUID of the target of this shulker bullet, stored as four ints.
- TXD: The offset in the X direction to travel in accordance with its target.
- TYD: The offset in the Y direction to travel in accordance with its target.
- TZD: The offset in the Z direction to travel in accordance with its target.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Gamerscore earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Great View From Up Here||Levitate up 50 blocks from the attacks of a Shulker||—||20G||Bronze|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Namespaced ID|
|How Did We Get Here?||Have every effect applied at the same time||A Furious Cocktail||Have all of these 26 effects applied to the player at the same time:
Note: This is a hidden advancement, meaning that it can be viewed by the player only after completing it.
|Great View From Up Here||Levitate up 50 blocks from the attacks of a Shulker||The City at the End of the Game||Move a distance of 50 blocks vertically with the Levitation effect applied.|
|Adventure||Adventure, exploration, and combat||—||Kill any entity, or be killed by any entity.|
|Monster Hunter||Kill any hostile monster||Adventure||Kill one of these 34 mobs:
|Monsters Hunted||Kill one of every hostile monster||Monster Hunter||Kill each of these 34 mobs:
|15w32b||Shulkers no longer teleport by themselves if |
|Shulkers can now be teleported using |
|15w40a||Shulkers no longer target players or attack in Peaceful difficulty.|
|Shulker bullets now despawn in Peaceful.|
|15w45a||Added sounds for shulkers being damaged.|
|15w47a||Shulkers now drop experience.|
|15w47b||Added ambient, aggravated and death sounds for shulkers, and added sounds for their bullets dealing and taking damage.|
|1.11||16w32a||The entity ID of shulkers has been changed from |
|The bullet's entity ID is changed from |
|16w39a||Shulkers now drop shulker shells.|
| The color of a shulker can now be changed through commands using a new byte tag |
|16w39c||Shulkers can now be spawned on the sides and bottoms of blocks through the usage of spawn eggs.|
|1.12||17w16a||Shulkers have been retextured, none of them are now like purpur blocks.|
|17w17a||The purple shulker's color has been reverted to the previous color.|
|1.13||18w10b||Added a default shulker.|
|The purple shulker texture has been changed to the one used in 17w16a.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|1.17||20w45a||New shulkers now have a chance to spawn when one shulker hits another shulker with a shulker bullet.|
|1.0.0||alpha 0.17.0.1||Added shulkers.|
|Shulkers can now be dyed in Creative mode by long-tapping any dye on a shulker, or through an interact button.|
|alpha 126.96.36.199||Shulkers now drop shulker shells.|
|1.0.4||alpha 188.8.131.52||The shulker's models can now be edited using add-ons.|
|1.1.0||alpha 184.108.40.206||The shulkers' textures have been changed.|
|?||The purple shulker's color has been reverted to the previous color.|
|1.2.0||beta 220.127.116.11||Added a default shulker.|
|The purple shulker color has been changed to the new palette.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU46||CU36||1.38||Patch 15||Added shulkers and spawn eggs for the shulkers.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- Originally, shulkers were going to camouflage with a nearby block (shulkers next to purpur would look like purpur, and shulkers next to end stone would look like end stone). However, Jeb decided this was too difficult to code, so instead, shulkers were just purple mobs that would open and shoot.
- The word "shulker" is a portmanteau of "shell lurker".
- A shulker named 'Dinnerbone' or 'Grumm' flips upside-down, revealing a spiral pattern on the base. This appears to also lift the shulker by the same height as a pressure plate.
- Shulkers can attack each other, in which case they shoot fully guided bullets at each other, but are unaffected by levitation when hit. The normal teleportation habits apply during these battles.
- By using commands, they can be made to be part of a team to attack other teams and can be used as defense mobs. In that case, it doesn't attack its teammates but targets most hostile mobs without provocation.
- Walking toward a shulker at the same level as the player's head pushes the player down to the one-block crawling position if there is space beneath.
- If given the invisibility effect, only the shulker's shell becomes invisible. This is different to most other mobs such as armored mobs and saddled pigs, where the living part of the mob turns invisible with the outer areas remaining visible.
- In the game's texture files, the shulker bullet is named "spark.png".
- Gravity blocks glitch when on top of a shulker. Sand on top of an extended shulker is higher than sand on one block but the sand is solid.
- If the shulker was initially attached to the ground and there is a block on the side and on the top, the shulker becomes attached onto the block beside.
- Shulkers actually take fall damage. This can be done by putting one in a boat and pushing/riding it off of heights.