Shovels are designed for blocks of dirt, sand, gravel, snow, and grass. When a block is destroyed by a shovel, it will be left on the ground for any player to pick up. Crafting a shovel is not a requirement to progress in the game, but they are very useful to have, as they allow a player to destroy some blocks faster than with bare hands. All shovels degrade as they are used for their intended purpose. However, a shovel will lose Durability at twice the rate if it is used to attack Mobs. Shovels made with better materials will last longer. In addition, a shovel can be enchanted with useful qualities, such as "durability" or "silk touch".
Shovels can be crafted out of the following materials (in order of lowest, to highest durability):
- Gold (has almost half the durability as wood, but is faster than a diamond shovel)
Shovels can also be used to flatten grass into Grass Paths, by right-clicking on the grass block (PC), or holding down the action button over the grass block (MCPE).
|Gold Shovel||Wooden Shovel|
|None||Gold Ingot||None||None||Wooden Plank||None|
|Stone Shovel||Iron Shovel|
|Diamond Shovel||Boat (PE only)|
|None||Stick||None||Wooden Planks||Wooden Shovel||Wooden Planks|
|None||Stick||None||Wooden Planks||Wooden Planks||Wooden Planks|
- Shovels are used to acquire Snowballs.
- Golden shovels are important for many multiplayer servers for the use of claiming land in the new "Land Claims" feature.
- Zombies can rarely spawn holding an iron shovel which they also have a small chance to drop. This drop chance can be increased by the Fortune enchantment on the sword used. Thus, players can farm zombie spawners for iron shovels if they desire to do so.
- A diamond shovel has damage equivalent to a wooden or golden sword.
- Wooden shovels are used as oars to steer boats in Pocket Edition and Windows 10 Edition They are used on PC, too, but not in crafting.
- Enchanted iron and diamond shovels can be found in some End City Chests.