Sand can be broken by any tool, but a Shovel is quickest. Being a physic-obeying block, it will turn into a falling block Entity if there is no block supporting it from beneath. The sand will fall until it hits a solid block, at which point it will turn back into a normal sand block. However, if it lands atop a a non-solid block (including ones without a collision box it will turn into an loot-able item. If multiple falling sand blocks land directly on top of a player, they will start to suffocate, slowly losing health.
When smelted in a furnace, sand becomes Glass.
|Concrete Powder |
- In chunks of landscape generated after Beta 1.2's release, the bottom of all sand piles had a layer of sandstone.
- Before Beta 1.8, the spawn point of a world when created would always be on sand.
- In the PC and Pocket Edition, particles are released by sand that is floating either by glitches or within the 1 tick that it takes for the game to realize that the sand should fall.
- Sand and gravel take about 0.45 seconds to fall one meter.
- Sand and Red Sand are sold by Wandering Traders in exchange for Emeralds.