Sand can be broken by any tool, but a shovel is quickest. Being a physic-obeying block, it will turn into a falling block entity if there is no block supporting it from beneath. The sand will fall until it hits a solid block, at which point it will turn back into a normal sand block. However, if it lands atop a torch, it will turn into a gather-able item. If 2 falling sand blocks land directly on top of a player and covers the player's head, the player will start to suffocate, slowly losing health.
|Concrete Powder |
|Sand||Any kind of Dye||Sand|
Sand can be harvested with any tool or by hand, but a shovel is the fastest way to harvest sand.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- ↑ Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
- In chunks of landscape generated after Beta 1.2's release, the bottom of all sand piles had a layer of sandstone.
- Before Beta 1.8, the spawn point of a world when created would always be on sand.
- In the PC and Pocket Edition, particles are released by sand that is floating either by glitches or within the 1 tick that it takes for the game to realize that the sand should fall.
- Sand and gravel take about 0.45 seconds to fall one meter.
- The player's Hotbar slots take up a darker sand texture.
- Concrete powder looks very similar to sand.