In Java Edition:
Salmon spawn in groups of 1–5 in cold or frozen oceans, as well as their deep variants. They also spawn in rivers and frozen rivers.
Salmon spawn underwater at 12–32 blocks away from the player. Salmon spawn in groups of 3–5 in lukewarm, cold, normal, frozen oceans, their deep variants and rivers (including frozen rivers). In addition, salmon spawn on the surface (i.e., there must not be a spawnable block above the spawn location with a non-solid block on top). Salmon spawn in small, normal, and large sizes. 31.5% spawn as small, 52.6% spawn as normal, and 15.7% spawn as large.
When killed, salmon drop:
- 1 raw salmon (1 cooked salmon if killed while on fire). This is not affected by Looting.
- 1–3 when killed by a player or tamed wolf.
- In Java Edition
- 1 bone meal (5% chance).
Salmon tend to swim in schools (a maximum of seven salmon per school). Salmon are able to swim up approximately 4–5 blocks in waterfalls.
The player may collect salmon by using a water bucket on it, which gives the player a bucket of salmon. Salmon placed with buckets do not despawn naturally. When that fish bucket is used against a block, it empties the bucket, placing water with that fish swimming in it. In Bedrock Edition, an empty bucket may be used as well.
Salmon are unable to survive out of water. Outside of water, they flop around for a while until eventually they start to suffocate and die. Salmon flip around on their sides. In Bedrock Edition, they rotate when flipping. Salmon also cannot swim or breathe in cauldron water.
Axolotls always attack salmon on sight.
|Sound||Subtitles||Source||Description||Resource location||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|None||None[sound 1]||?||Randomly||None[sound 1]||?||?||?|
- Empty events do not have this parameter set.
|Name||Resource location||Entity tags (JE)||Translation key|
|Name||Resource location||Numeric ID||Translation key|
Salmon have entity data associated with them that contain various properties.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities
- Tags common to all mobs
- FromBucket: 1 or 0 (true/false) - Whether the fish had ever been released from a bucket.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Gamerscore earned||Trophy type (PS4)|
|I am a Marine Biologist||Collect a fish in a bucket||Use an empty bucket on any fish mob to collect it.||20G||Bronze|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Resource location|
|Tactical Fishing||Catch a fish... without a fishing rod!||Fishy Business||Use a water bucket on any fish mob.|
|Java Edition Alpha|
|June 28, 2010||Notch mentioned that fish might be a feature of coral, if he were able to add coral: "... I do know that the corals will have tiny fish particles around them."|
|October 4, 2010||Fish were a passive mob that Notch showed interest in adding. In the promotional graphic for the Halloween Update, Notch indicated he would add fish. However, they were added only as an item; there was no code for a fish mob.|
|October 5, 2012||Fish were jokingly teased in the fake snapshot 12marc40awesome, along with coral and "fish blocks".|
|April 13, 2013||When Jon Kågström was asked in his AMA on Reddit, "What mob would you like to implement into the game?" He responded, "I would like to add birds, fish and tree animals to make it more alive. However this will take some time before it can be done."|
|July 31, 2013||During Notch's AMA on Reddit, when asked about what happened to his plans of adding fish as a mob, he responded, "Oh yeah, the fish!"|
|Salmon have 20 × 10 health.|
|18w10a||The health of salmon has been changed to 3.|
|18w15a||Salmon now drop the cooked version of their item drops, if killed while on fire.|
|1.13.1||18w31a||Salmon now have a 5% chance of dropping bone meal when killed.|
|1.4.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Added salmon mobs, which come in 3 sizes; small, medium and large. The three different sizes of salmon are a version exclusive.|
|1.13.0||beta 126.96.36.199||Salmon now drop experience when killed.|
|1.16.100||beta 188.8.131.52||Salmon now drop cooked salmon when killed on fire.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU69||1.76||Patch 38||Added small, medium and large salmon mobs.|
|1.4.0||Added salmon mobs.|
- They appear to be influenced by real-life sockeye salmon.
- Salmon also spawn in rivers because in the real-world in Autumn, salmon travel upstream, returning from the ocean to the streams where they were born, to lay eggs.
- The salmon's ability to swim up waterfalls is actually based off salmon leaping into and above waterfalls in the real-world so they can get to the streams they were born in.
- Since world spawn points are usually close to either rivers or oceans, also that salmon use a separate mob cap from land-based passive mobs, and that they spawn and despawn regularly, adding to the fact that 2 pieces of cooked salmon with a combined saturation of 19.2 fills the saturation bar completely, all of these factors make salmon a great early-game source of food. Plunging into a river, killing salmon and cooking them in furnaces is thus a great way to ensure food security within the first 10 minutes of a new world.
A school of 4 salmon swimming in a frozen river.
The three different sizes of salmon in Bedrock Edition.
- – "fish bouncing and suffocating on top of the cauldron which fill with water" resolved as "Won't Fix"
- – "Fish mobs have 20 health", resolved
- Salmonidae article in Wikipedia