| This article contains content about features that are outdated or have been removed from the game.|
All functionality was replaced by emeralds.
Rubies were originally planned to be added as part of Minecraft patch 1.3 but were abandoned in favor of emeralds by developers. Variations of armor and tools crafted with rubies were another idea which could have been incorporated into the update, but those plans were obviously also abandoned when rubies themselves were removed.
- Originally, the ruby was meant to be the material for villager trades. However, they were later replaced by the now used emeralds.
- Rubies were supposed to look like emeralds but more circular.
- Like the quiver and skis sprites, the ruby sprite still exists in the Minecraft files.
- Rubies were changed to emeralds because Dinnerbone is red-green colorblind and couldn't tell the difference between redstone ore and ruby ore, so it was changed at the last minute.
- Ruby was originally supposed to be more powerful than diamond and it was going to have armor and weapons. However, emerald, its replacement, has neither armor nor weapons.
- There are many mods that can be used to put rubies back into the game, however, they aren't always identical to how the original ruby concept worked.
- Rubies were the placeholder for the emerald ore texture.