Eating rotten flesh restores two of the hunger bar. However, it has an 80% chance of giving a Player Food Poisoning, causing their hunger meter to deplete three-times faster than normal, for thirty seconds. Experienced players may choose to eat rotten flesh in emergencies, because it is a quick way to recover health when no other food is available. When consuming this item, it is advisable for the player to drink Milk after consuming rotten flesh.
- Dropped by Zombies, Zombie Villagers, Zombie Pigmen, Zombie Horses, Husks, and Drowned when killed.
- Can be found within Chests in Abandoned Mine Shafts and Desert Temples.
- Can be found when Fishing.
- Wolves that consume rotten flesh will not get food poisoning.
- In earlier versions of Minecraft, zombies would drop Feathers instead of rotten flesh.
- There is an achievement for stopping starvation without getting food poisoning from rotten flesh, "Iron Belly" on Bedrock Edition.