RenderDragon is a rendering engine used in Bedrock Edition and Minecraft Earth that runs on DirectX and OpenGL ES. In Bedrock Edition, it is currently available on Windows 10, Xbox One and PlayStation 4, and should be included on all platforms eventually.
RenderDragon features edge highlighting and new lighting techniques as part of the soon-to-be visual and performance upgrades, and also adding ray-tracing support. It supports a range of graphics features, depending on the device's capability. Most devices have some graphics and performance enhancements, but not all devices can support ray tracing. As of March 2021, the only devices that officially support ray tracing are Windows 10 PCs with Nvidia GeForce RTX or AMD Radeon RX 6000 series graphics cards.
|June 20, 2019||An image of RenderDragon v0.0.2 running in Minecraft Earth is released by Helen Zbihlyj on Twitter.|
|1.13.0||beta 220.127.116.11||The Xbox One port now uses RenderDragon.|
|1.14.0||The PlayStation 4 port now uses RenderDragon.|
|RTX Beta||beta 18.104.22.168||The Windows 10 port now uses RenderDragon and supports ray tracing.|
|beta 22.214.171.124||Fixed several bugs related to RenderDragon and RTX.|
|1.16.100||beta 126.96.36.199||Windows 10 now uses RenderDragon outside RTX Beta, but without ray tracing support.|
|beta 188.8.131.52||RenderDragon is disabled in the beta for Windows 10.|
|beta 184.108.40.206||RenderDragon is re-enabled in the beta for Windows 10.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||RenderDragon is disabled again in the beta for Windows 10.|
|1.16.200||beta 18.104.22.168||RenderDragon is re-enabled again on Windows 10.|
|beta 22.214.171.124||RenderDragon now supports ray tracing outside RTX Beta.|
|release||Windows 10 now uses RenderDragon outside Beta.|
- According to Helen Zbihlyj, RenderDragon was designed to be usable in Java Edition. However, according to Felix Jones, there's nothing in it that indicates this.
An image of RenderDragon v0.0.2 released on Twitter by Helen Zbihlyj.
- "Someone doesn't watch our official livestreams! 😄 It's ok, I forgive you. 😉 We're still working on RenderDragon, the new graphics engine for Bedrock that also drives Minecraft Earth. Check the pic if you want proof that RenderDragon is still in development." – @HelenAngel on Twitter, June 20, 2019
- "Minecraft with Ray Tracing FAQ" – Minecraft Help Center.
- "About the 1.16.200 Update for Windows 10" – Minecraft Help Center, December 8, 2020.
- "What's New: Moar Beeeezzz! - Sept 12, 2019"
- "Minecraft for PlayStation TM 4 FAQ" – Minecraft Help Center, December 13, 2019.
- Minecraft NVIDIA RTX FAQ
- "Only if the Java team implements RenderDragon. RenderDragon was designed as such that it could be used in the Java codebase as well just in case the Java team wanted to use it." – @HelenAngel on Twitter, August 23, 2019
- "From what I've seen so far, there's currently nothing in RenderDragon that indicates it is usable in the Java codebase. I'm not convinced it would be good for RenderDragon if Java Edition used it, for now it's best we don't pollute RenderDragon with Java Edition's many issues." – @Xilefian on Twitter, March 10, 2021