|First Appearance||Alpha 1.0.1 (Computer)|
0.1.0 (Pocket Edition)
|Type of Block||Ore|
|Data Values||Hex: 49|
Redstone Ore is a type of ore that is found 16 or less levels above bedrock. It drops redstone dust when mined, and it can be crafted into redstone-related mechanisms. If it is hit with anything or walked on, it will begin to glow and will light a small area.
- It can be smelted to give one redstone dust; however, this is inefficient as it requires Silk Touch, yields very little XP, and will not give more than one redstone per ore.
- When added to the game, all Redstone-related blocks had no official name. In 1.0.4, July 9, 2010, the name Redstone was given by Notch after demands from the community.
- One may only obtain Redstone Ore as a block through Silk Touch enchanted tools, cheats/hacks, or creative mode.
- It is best to mine the Redstone Ore instead of using Silk Touch because when smelting it, it gives only one piece of Redstone, but when mined directly, it drops 1–4 pieces.
- Lit Redstone Ore is defined as a separate block in the source code.
- For beginner Minecraft players, Redstone Ore might be mistaken for Rubies.
- There is a glitch that, when dug with a Silk Touch pick, a redstone ore is obtained that is unstackable. Placing it and destroying it with Silk Touch again fixes that glitch.
- Redstone can essentially be determined to represent the real-life element copper, but contains a more red hue in Minecraft than it is in real life. It also has a powdery texture. However, both objects take the same basic function: conducting power.
- Redstone ore can be mined using an iron pickaxe or better. It cannot be mined with a wooden or stone pickaxe. Although it can be destroyed by them, it will not yield anything.
- Redstone is used to make many items that cannot be made with other materials because it is a good conductor of electricity. A useful thing to make on survival mode would be a compass and/or map, as it can be used to venture from a player's home and can help players easily find their way back.
- If a player touches redstone ore, it will glow.
- When hooked up to a BUD switch, it makes a useful pressure plate, in a similar way to String.