| Come on! Grow up!
This article is a Minecraft Wiki stub. You can help bythe page.
Ravines are large chambers that extend beneath sea level. Many ravines are located below the surface of the Overworld, with the top completely covered by a few layers of stone or dirt. However, some ravines can be located above ground, completely exposed to the sky above. Ravines have the potential to be up to 40 blocks deep, and they are approximately five blocks wide. On occasion, one ravine may connect to or intersect with another. Ravines also almost always connect to at least one cave system. Despite them being a rarity, ravines have the potential to be spawned underwater, forming a peculiar type of blue hole.
Due to how the map generator adds ravines to the game, ravines can also intersect abandoned mine shafts, caverns, and strongholds. Typical finds in a ravine can be Lava or water, along with ore veins, the most common of which are veins of coal and iron. Sometimes, lapis lazuli can be found in small quantities as well as gold ore. Emerald ore is rare, with only single blocks spawning at a time, usually around other ores. These ores can usually be collected by naturally generated ridges, which travel along the walls, and can be reached by building a staircase or bridge from one patch of ore to another. Ravines are usually found connected to caves, and if explored further, an abandoned mineshaft may connect to the ravine, which could in turn lead to a stronghold.
- Exploring the bottom of a ravine is an easy way of obtaining obsidian, as there are often some blocks of it already made.
- Even though ravines cannot generate within desert biomes, they can generate at the border of a desert, making part of it built of sand and sandstone.
- It was impossible to find a ravine in Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition before the Better Together Update.
- It is possible to find a ravine by accidentally jumping into it because when an inexperienced player comes across it, there may not be any defining features to alert them to the fall damage they may encounter landing at the bottom of the ravine.
- It is actually possible for a tree to spawn in a ravine. Though, this is extremely rare.