100 × 50
In Java Edition:
In Bedrock Edition:
See § Spawning
Ravagers spawn starting at wave 3 as part of a raid. Sometimes when a Ravager spawns in a raid or by the player it catches fire.
Upon being killed, a ravager drops:
Ravagers are hostile toward players, iron golems, adult villagers, baby villagers[Java Edition only] and wandering traders[Java Edition only] within a 32-block radius. They attack by ramming enemies with their head, dealing a knockback of 5 blocks. Ravagers also attack by opening their mouths and closing it, similar to biting their target.
They can also destroy certain block types by charging into them. In Java Edition ravagers can break only leaves and crops. In Bedrock Edition they can break leaves, all crops, any other non-tree plants, mushrooms, and turtle eggs. Here is a complete list:
|Block||Bedrock Edition||Java Edition|
|Flowering Azalea Leaves||No||N/A|
|Flower except wither rose||Yes||No|
|Sweet Berry Bush||Yes||No|
When blocked by a shield while attacking, no damage is dealt and knockback is halved. The ravager also has a 50% chance to become stunned and unable to move or attack for 2 seconds. After this period, it emits a roar by opening its bottom jaw and closing it and that deals 6 damage and a knockback of 5 blocks to nearby entities. The roar knocks back nearby illagers without damaging them and has no effect on other ravagers. The illagers that were knocked back by the ravager's roar can still take fall damage if the roar knocks them off a high block but does not damage the illager.
The ravager does not attack pillagers who shoot at it by accident and does not attack evokers when evoker fangs accidentally hit a ravager. When a vindicator on a ravager has been named "Johnny" it might attack the ravager while it is riding it [Java Edition only] but the ravager will not attack the vindicator for any reason.
Even though they are heavy, ravagers can swim. Their apparent weight makes them take 50% less of knockback. A ravager being ridden by an illager dismounts its rider if it moves into water 2 blocks deep.
Ravagers are also scared by rabbits.[needs testing]
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Ravager steps||Hostile Creatures||?||1.0||?||16|
|Ravager bites||Hostile Creatures||?||1.0||?||16|
|Ravager dies||Hostile Creatures||?||1.0||?||16|
|Ravager hurts||Hostile Creatures||?||1.0||?||16|
|Ravager grunts||Hostile Creatures||?||1.0||?||16|
|Ravager cheers||Hostile Creatures||?||1.0||?||16|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Entity tags (JE)||Translation key|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
Ravagers have entity data associated with them that contains various properties.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities
- Tags common to all mobs
- Tags common to all mobs spawnable in raids
- AttackTick: Attack cooldown for this ravager.
- RoarTick: Roar attack cooldown for this ravager.
- StunTick: Stun attack cooldown for this ravager.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Gamerscore earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Kill the Beast!||Defeat a Ravager.||—||30G||Silver|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Namespaced ID|
|Adventure||Adventure, exploration, and combat||—||Kill any entity, or be killed by any entity.|
|Monster Hunter||Kill any hostile monster||Adventure||Kill one of these 34 mobs:
|Monsters Hunted||Kill one of every hostile monster||Monster Hunter||Kill each of these 34 mobs:
|September 29, 2018||Illager Beasts are announced at MINECON Earth 2018.|
|1.14||18w43a||Added illager beasts.|
|18w44a||Illager beasts no longer flee in the presence of rabbits.|
|18w45a||Illager beasts now spawn in illager patrols, 200 blocks away from villages on grass or sand with a block light level of 0–8 and a sky light level of 10–15.|
|18w46a||Illager beasts no longer spawn as part of illager patrols, which has now made them unused.|
|18w47a||Illager beasts now spawn in the new raids, which has now made them used again.|
|19w05a||"Illager Beast" has now been renamed to "Ravager".|
|The ID has now been changed from |
|19w13a||Ravagers can now be ridden by evokers.|
|1.10.0||beta 126.96.36.199||Added illager beasts.|
|Illager beasts are currently available only through Experimental Gameplay.|
|Illager beasts have a basic AI, use the player's hurt sound and don't have any animations.|
|1.11.0||beta 188.8.131.52||"Illager Beast" has now been renamed to "Ravager".|
|Ravagers now have animations and their own sounds.|
|The AI behavior of ravagers have now been fully implemented.|
|Ravagers can now spawn during raids.|
|Ravagers can now be ridden by vindicators and pillagers.|
|Ravagers are no longer hostile to baby villagers.|
|beta 184.108.40.206||Ravagers have now been fully implemented and are now separate from Experimental Gameplay.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||Ravagers can now be ridden by evokers.|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
A ravager shown at MINECON Earth 2018.
A group of pillagers raiding a village, shown at MINECON Earth 2018.
A ravager seen in the Village & Pillage artwork.
A ravager patrolling along with some illagers (before 18w46a).
An illager patrol leader riding a ravager (before 18w46a).
A ravager destroying tree leaves.
A ravager biting an iron golem.
A pillager ravager rider.
A vindicator ravager rider.
An evoker ravager rider.
A pillager raid captain ravager rider.
A vindicator raid captain ravager rider.
An evoker raid captain ravager rider.
In other media
Lego Minecraft Ravager.
- "Ravager" and "Behemoth" were listed as alternate name suggestions for the illager beast. In Java Edition 19w05a and Bedrock Edition beta 18.104.22.168, illager beasts were renamed to ravagers.
- In Java Edition 3D Shareware v1.34, ravagers dropped yellow keys.
- In Java Edition, evoker fangs can hurt ravagers, so evokers may kill their mounts while riding ravagers. However, this does not happen in Bedrock Edition because evoker fangs do not hurt them.
- The ravager was mainly inspired by the mythological creature, Manticore, especially the one from Dungeons & Dragons.
- The sounds of a ravager are the sounds of a villager but are more low and grumpy.
- Even though ravagers are not a type of illager in Java Edition, their texture is in the "illager" folder in client.jar.
- On the Ravager page on Minecraft.net, they are jokingly compared metaphorically as a very enraged cow. 
- In Bedrock Edition, ravagers can be summoned with riders by using spawn event command. For example:
/summon ravager ~ ~ ~ minecraft:spawn_with_pillager_rider.
- Similarly to pillagers, vindicators, and evokers, ravagers are provoked when a nearby ravager is attacked. This allows them to attack through a one-block thick solid wall, like iron golems.
- The ravager's fourth ambient sound is the evoker's third ambient sound, but lower pitched.
- The ravager's first and third death sounds are the pillager's first death sound, but lower pitched.
- "FYI, I asked Josh to remove this feature again. Although funny, being scared of rabbits doesn't fit with the Beast's lore." – @jeb_ on Twitter, October 30, 2018
- "Minecraft Snapshot 18w43a" – Minecraft.net
- "Meet The Ravager" – Minecraft.net, May 11, 2019