Current sprite for the Pufferfish
|First Appearance||1.7 (Snapshot 13w36a)|
|Data Values||Hex: 15D3|
The Pufferfish is a type of Fish in Minecraft, added in update 1.7. It is easy to catch with a Fishing Rod in large bodies of Water, can be obtained in Creative mode, and can be obtained from Guardians and Elder Guardians.
When eaten, the pufferfish replenishes half a Hunger point. However, it will give a player Nausea and Hunger III for 15 seconds, as well as Poison IV for 1 full minute. As consuming pufferfish evidently brings more harm than good, it is not an optimal source of Food.
- The pufferfish is the only type of fish that can not be used to tame Ocelots.
- The poisonous effect inflicted by eating the pufferfish is based on the fact that real pufferfish contain the deadly neurotoxin Tetrodotoxin (http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/818763-overview%7CTetrodotoxin) in their bodies. Unlike its real-life counterpart, the pufferfish cannot currently be cooked to nullify its poisonous side effects.
- The pufferfish is the only item in the game that a player can use to obtain the nausea effect.
- In 1.13, pufferfish will be seen in the water.
- In 1.13, when a pufferfish blows up and a player touches it, they will get the poison effect.