A pufferfish is a type of Fish mob. It is easy to catch with a Fishing Rod in large bodies of Water, can be obtained in Creative mode, killing its mob counterpart, and can be obtained from Guardians and Elder Guardians.
When eaten, the pufferfish replenishes half a Hunger point. However, it will give a player Nausea and Hunger III for 15 seconds, as well as Poison IV for 1 full minute. As consuming pufferfish evidently brings more harm than good, it is not an optimal source of Food.
- The pufferfish is the only type of fish that can not be used to tame Ocelots.
- The poisonous effect inflicted by eating the pufferfish is based on the fact that real pufferfish contain the deadly neurotoxin ,Tetrodotoxin (http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/818763-overview%7CTetrodotoxin), in their bodies. Unlike its real-life counterpart, the pufferfish cannot currently be cooked to nullify its poisonous side effects.
- The pufferfish is the only item in the game that a player can use to obtain the nausea effect.
- In 1.13, pufferfish will be seen in the water.
- In 1.13, when a pufferfish blows up and a player touches it, they will get the poison effect.
- Fisherman Villagers will buy a pufferfish for an Emerald.
- The original texture of the pufferfish did not have spines on its skin.