|Catches fire from lava||
Powered rails can be crafted and previously-placed powered rails can be broken with bare hands or any tool, dropping themselves as items.
- Times are for unenchanted tools as wielded by players with no status effects, measured in seconds. For more information, see Breaking § Speed.
|Gold Ingot +
A powered rail can be used as a rail and as a redstone component.
To place a powered rail, use a powered rail item while pointing at a surface facing the space the powered rail should occupy. A powered rail can be placed on:
- the top of any full solid opaque block (stone, dirt, blocks of gold, etc.), including full-block mechanism components (command blocks, dispensers, droppers, note blocks, and redstone lamps)
- the top of a hopper, upside-down slab, or upside-down stairs.
A powered rail cannot be attached to the side or bottom of any block, but attempting to make such an attachment may cause the powered rail to attach to the top of a block under the destination space. For example, if a fence is on the ground, attempting to attach a powered rail to the side of the fence causes the powered rail to be attached to the top of the ground next to the fence instead.
When placed, a powered rail configures itself to line up with any adjacent rails (including activator rails, detector rails, and other powered rails), as well as adjacent rails one block up. If there are two adjacent rails on non-opposite sides, or three or more adjacent rails, a powered rail lines up in the east-west direction. If there are no adjacent rails, a powered rail lines up in the north-south direction (but if a rail is later placed to the east or west, the powered rail re-orients itself in the east-west direction even if it is already connected to another rail to the north or south). If a rail it would line up with is one block up, a powered rail slants upward toward it (with multiple options to slant upward to, a powered rail "prefers", in order: west, east, south, and north). Other configurations can be created by placing and removing various rails.
It cannot be placed suspended in midair, even with commands, which is not unintentional.
Powered rails (and other rails) can be used as "roads" for minecarts. A minecart that enters a powered rail's space from either end of the powered rail continues to move in the direction the powered rail is facing, but its speed may change depending on whether the powered rail is active or not (see below). A minecart that enters a powered rail's space from the side turns east or south (depending on the powered rail's orientation), or in the downward direction for a slanted powered rail.
Powered rails can be used to affect the speed of minecarts that travel over them.
- A powered rail is a redstone mechanism and can be activated by:
- an adjacent active power component (for example, a redstone torch, a block of redstone, a daylight sensor, etc.)
- an adjacent powered block (strongly-powered or weakly-powered)
- a powered redstone comparator or redstone repeater facing the powered rail
- powered redstone dust configured to point at the powered rail; a powered rail is not activated by adjacent powered redstone dust that is a directionless "dot" or configured to point in another direction.
- An activated powered rail also activates any adjacent powered rails it is connected to, up to eight away from the original activation source. Thus a single activation source can activate up to 17 rails (one original in the middle and eight on either side). An activated powered rail does not activate non-connected adjacent rails.
- An active powered rail:
- increases the speed of a moving minecart in the direction it is already moving. Specifically, let the speed in both the X and Z directions (meters / tick) combined be "speed". If speed > 0.01, then every tick the minecart is passing over the powered rail, its x velocity is increased by (xspeed * 0.06 / speed) and its z velocity is increased by (zspeed * 0.06 / speed)
- accelerate a non-moving minecart away from a solid opaque block the powered rail is facing (so a non-moving minecart moves away from the block when the powered rail activates, and a moving minecart bounces off a block an active powered rail is facing because it stops and then gets accelerated away)
- An inactive powered rail reduces the speed of a moving minecart, usually stopping it within one block's distance even on a downward-slanted track. If a slanted powered rail activates with a non-moving minecart on it, the minecart starts moving downward (because it is no longer being braked by an inactive powered rail) and is then accelerated downward.
- Powered rails cannot increase the speed of a minecart to more than 8 blocks per second on either the north-south or east-west axis. The speeds that can be achieved with varying numbers of powered rails or intervals of normal rails between powered rails is complex -- for a thorough discussion, see Tutorials/Minecarts.
|Sound||Subtitles||Source||Description||Resource location||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Block broken||Blocks||Once the block has broken||1.0||1.2||16|
|None[sound 1]||Blocks||Falling on the block with fall damage||None[sound 1]||0.5||1.25||16|
|Block breaking||Blocks||While the block is in the process of being broken||0.25||0.75||16|
|Block placed||Blocks||When the block is placed||1.0||1.2||16|
|Footsteps||Blocks||Walking on the block||0.15||1.5||16|
|?||?||Once the block has broken||?||1.2|
|?||?||Falling on the block with fall damage||?||?|
|?||?||While the block is in the process of being broken||?||0.75|
|?||?||Jumping from the block||?||?|
|?||?||Falling on the block without fall damage||?||?|
|?||?||Walking on the block||?||?|
|?||?||When the block is placed||?||1.2|
|Name||Resource location||Block tags (JE)||Item tags (JE)||Form||Translation key|
|Powered Rail||Block & Item|
|Name||Resource location||Numeric ID||Form||Translation key|
|Powered Rail||Block & Item|
In Bedrock Edition, powered rails use the following data values:
A three-bit field storing a value from 0 to 5:
|0x8||Set if rail is active.|
|Name||Default value||Allowed values||Description|
|powered||True if rail is activated.|
|shape||Specifies the rail's orientation.|
|A rail that ascends toward the direction noted.|
For example, an
|waterlogged||True if rail is waterlogged.|
|Name||Default value||Allowed values||Description|
|rail_data_bit||True if rail is activated.|
|rail_direction||The rail is not ascending.|
|A rail ascends.|
|Java Edition Beta|
Added powered rails.
|1.6||Test Build 3||The effectiveness of powered rails has now been increased as a response to fixing the minecart booster bug.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease 6||Powered Rails are now broken faster using a pickaxe.|
|1.1||11w49a||Fixed powered rail bug.[more information needed]|
|1.5||?||The item form of the powered rail has changed from to .|
|1.8||14w10a||Powered rails with numerical metadata variants 6, 7, 14 and 15, which are inaccessible through normal gameplay or even commands and as such require the use of external editors to exist, now have no model . Their appearances prior to this point were unknown.|
|14w25a||Powered rails are now defined via block states rather than by numerical metadata. Prior to this version, the numerical metadata variants of the powered rail were as follows:
|14w26a||Powered rails with metadata values 6, 7, 14 and 15 have now been completely removed from the game.|
|1.9||15w44a||Powered rails can now be found in mineshaft chest minecarts.|
|1.11||16w32b||All rail types' hitbox heights are decreased from a full block to a half block.|
|1.13||17w47a||The ID of powered rails has been changed from |
|Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 27.|
The textures of powered rails has now been changed.
|19w12b||Powered rails can now be placed on glass, ice, glowstone and sea lantern.|
|1.17||20w45a||All rail types can now be waterlogged.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|v0.8.0||build 2||Added powered rails, but the rails are always powered.|
|v0.13.0||build 1||Powered rails no longer have intrinsic power, i.e. they need to be powered by an external power source.|
|v0.14.0||build 1||Powered rails can now be found in minecart with chests inside of mineshafts.|
|1.10.0||beta 188.8.131.52||The textures of powered rails has now been changed.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||1.0.1||Added powered rails.|
|1.90||The textures of powered rails has now been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
|0.1.0||Added powered rails.|
- Powered rails were originally a suggestion for golden tracks.