30 × 15
In Java Edition:
Polar bears spawn above grass or ice in snowy tundra, snowy mountains, ice spikes, regular and deep frozen ocean biomes in groups of up to two at light level 7 or higher. If there is a group, the second polar bear is a cub.
An adult polar bear drops one of the following when killed:
- 1–3 from player or tamed wolves kills.
- There is a 3⁄4 chance of dropping 0 to 2 raw cod. The maximum amount can be increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 0 to 5 with Looting III.
- There is a 1⁄4 chance of dropping 0 to 2 raw salmon. The maximum amount can be increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 0 to 5 with Looting III.
Polar bears can exist in a passive or hostile state. The cubs are passive; adults are hostile when with cubs or provoked (unless is killed in one hit[JE only]), they also attack if a player gets near them in Bedrock edition.
If a cub is attacked, unless is killed in one hit[JE only], all adults within a 41×21×41 area become hostile toward the player or mob, regardless of difficulty, although in Peaceful difficulty their attacks do zero damage to players.
Attacking an adult who is within a 16×8×16 area of a cub also provokes other adults within a 21×21×21 area of the attacked adult.[JE only]
Polar bears also attack foxes.
- In Java Edition, adult polar bears attack any fox that stays near it for a while, hitting it once every few seconds. Cubs are more aggressive and attack foxes within 16 blocks.
- In Bedrock Edition, adult polar bears attack foxes within 16 blocks. Cubs do not attack foxes.
Polar bears attack by rearing on their back legs and mauling down with their front paws. Their swimming speed is equal to the player's, making them difficult to get away from if they are attacking in water.
Polar bears cannot breed and cubs' growth cannot be sped up.
They do not take freezing damage from powder snow.
|Sound||Subtitles||Source||Description||Resource location||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Polar Bear groans||?||Randomly when adult||?||?||16|
|Polar Bear hums||?||Randomly when baby||?||?||16|
|Polar Bear dies||?||Polar bear is dying||?||?||16|
|Polar Bear hurts||?||Polar bear is hurt||?||?||16|
|Footsteps||?||Polar bear is walking||?||?||?||16|
|Polar Bear roars||?||Polar bear is attacking||?||3 = 0.9; 1, 2, 3 = ?||16|
|Name||Resource location||Translation key|
|Name||Resource location||Numeric ID||Translation key|
Polar bears have entity data associated with them that contains various properties.
- Entity data
- Additional fields for mobs that can become angry
- Additional fields for mobs that can breed
- Tags common to all entities
- Tags common to all mobs
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Resource location|
|Adventure||Adventure, exploration, and combat||—||Kill any entity, or be killed by any entity.|
|March 7, 2016||Jeb hints at a neutral mob with a light gray "base texture" color.|
|April 8, 2016||Jeb tweets a picture of the polar bears.|
|1.10||16w20a||Added polar bears.|
|pre1||Adult polar bears now jump in water, if on fire.|
|pre2||Polar bears now have sounds: |
|1.11||16w32a||The entity ID has now been changed from |
|1.13||18w19a||Polar bears can now spawn on top of ice.|
|1.14||18w43a||The textures of polar bears and baby polar bears have now been changed.|
|19w07a||Polar bears now attack foxes.|
|19w14a||Polar bears are no longer a valid mob for earning the Monster Hunter advancement and are no longer required to complete the Monsters Hunted advancement.|
|1.15||19w39a||Due to a bug, the baby polar bear model is currently broken.|
|19w40a||The baby polar bear model has now been fixed.|
|1.17||21w13a||Polar bears are now immune to freezing.|
|Now drop cooked cod or salmon instead of raw cod or salmon if on fire when killed or killed by a fire source.|
|1.0.0||alpha 0.17.0.1||Added polar bears.|
|1.1.0||alpha 184.108.40.206||The entity ID has now been changed from |
|Polar bears no longer hurt players in Peaceful difficulty.|
|1.4.0||beta 220.127.116.11||Polar bears can now spawn on top of ice.|
|1.10.0||beta 18.104.22.168||The textures of polar bears and baby polar bears have now been changed.|
|1.13.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Adult polar bears now attack foxes.|
|1.17.0||beta 126.96.36.199||Polar bears are now immune to freezing.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU43||CU33||1.36||Patch 13||1.0.1||Added polar bears.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
|1.7.10||Added polar bears.|
- According to Jeb, polar bears were added after his son Björn was born. Coincidentally, "björn" is Swedish for "bear".
- Unlike most other baby mobs, polar bear cubs have a unique sound effect that is not just a sped-up version of the regular polar bear sound effects; this is also reflected in subtitles.
- Polar bears are the first bears added into the game, later followed by pandas.
- During the development of the frozen ocean biome, polar bears were removed from spawning, due to being deemed too "sad". They were added back in because it is more accurate to the polar bear's real life status.
- in Java Edition, the polar bear is the only mob whose baby variant can grow up, but the adults cannot breed or be bred.
Development teaser screenshot by Jeb.
In other media
Lego Minecraft Polar Bear.