50 × 25
In Java Edition:
In Bedrock Edition:
A small number of piglin brutes spawn in bastion remnants only upon generation and in some rooms. They do not have a baby variant.
Piglin brutes spawn with a golden axe, occasionally with enchantments. They never spawn with armor and do not equip armor from the ground.
- A piglin brute has 8.5% chance of dropping a golden axe with a random item durability.
- 20 experience points are dropped upon death if killed by a player, iron golem, or tamed wolf.
Piglin brutes attack players, wither skeletons and withers within 16 blocks and are not distracted by golden items or blocks. They also attack any mob that attacks any piglin, or piglin brute. Examples include snow golems and iron golems, which piglin brutes only attack when a piglin or piglin brute is attacked.
They despawn in Peaceful difficulty.[JE only]
Behaviors shared by both piglins and piglin brutes:
- Open wooden doors.
- Call nearby piglins and other piglin brutes once attacked, no matter whether the player wears golden armor or not.
- Are not naturally immune to fire or lava.
- Join in hunts
Behaviors specific to piglin brutes:
- Piglin brutes do not retreat from soul fire items nor from zoglins or zombified piglins.
- Piglin brutes do not do a "victory dance."
- Piglin brutes are not alerted by opening/mining of containers or the breaking of gold-type blocks.
- Piglin brutes pick up regular or enchanted golden axes only if walking over them. Unlike piglins, piglin brutes ignore all other golden items, meaning they cannot equip armor. However, they can still be equipped via dispensers or commands.
When in the Overworld or the End, piglin brutes transform into zombified piglins after 15 seconds. Upon transformation, the spawned zombified piglin has the Nausea effect for 10 seconds. This Nausea effect is purely cosmetic. When turned into a zombified piglin, they keep their axes.
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Piglin Brute snorts||Hostile Creatures||Piglin Brute randomly snorts.||0.9||?||?|
|Piglin Brute snorts angrily||Hostile Creatures||Piglin Brute finds the player breaking into the bastion.||0.9||?||?|
|Piglin Brute hurts||Hostile Creatures||Piglin Brute is attacked by the player.||0.64||?||?|
|Piglin Brute dies||Hostile Creatures||Piglin Brute is killed by the player.||0.8||?||?|
|Piglin Brute steps||Hostile Creatures||Piglin Brute walks around the bastion.||0.75||?||?|
|Piglin Brute converts to Zombified Piglin||Hostile Creatures||Piglin Brute converts into a zombified piglin via the overworld or the end.||1.0||0.9||?|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Translation key|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
Piglin brutes have entity data associated with them that contains various properties.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities
- Tags common to all mobs
|June 25, 2020||Piglin brutes are mentioned to come to Java Edition in a 1.16.x release.|
|1.16.2||20w27a||Added piglin brutes.|
|1.16.20||beta 184.108.40.206||Added piglin brutes.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||The axe that is wielded by piglin brutes may be enchanted now.|
|beta 18.104.22.168||The attack animation of unarmed piglin brutes has been changed.|
|1.16.100||beta 22.214.171.124||Piglin brutes no longer spawn with enchanted axes.|
|Piglin brutes now drop 20 experience points, instead of 10.|
|beta 126.96.36.199||Zombified piglins that are converted from piglin brutes now keep their golden axes.|
- Piglin brutes were created late in 1.16's development, so they were pushed to a minor release as the developers did not want to add a new feature so close to release.
- The golden arm guard is meant to work as a "protection" and is the reason behind their high health.
- Piglin brutes along with the vindicator do the third-highest melee damage of all the non-boss mobs, first being the giant at 75 × 37.5, second being the iron golem at 32.25 × 16.125 (max damage) and fourth being the ravager at 18 × 9 on hard difficulty.
- Piglin brutes have no pupils, unlike Overworld pigs.
- Piglin brutes drop the highest number of experience points out of any non-boss mob, along with the ravager.
- They are the only mob that was added in a minor release since Java Edition 1.0.
- Sounds that are used by the piglins are lower-pitched when used by the piglin brute (like the
A preview of the piglin brute.
- – resolved as "Works as Intended"
- "Pretty much, yes." – @henrikkniberg, June 25, 2020
- "Their golden arm guard functions as a mini shield, now it won't block in animation, but that's the idea behind it🙏Hence why they have more health than normal piglins, they don't wear armor at all, they feel like it wears them down. These piggies are strong on their own" – @JasperBoerstra, June 25, 2020
- "Introducing the Piglin Brute. A stronger Piglin not distracted by gold, as they are devoted to protecting the treasures in the Bastions. They do not respect your golden armor, they see right through your disguise." – @JasperBoerstra, June 25, 2020