50 × 25
In Java Edition:
In Bedrock Edition:
A piglin brute is a hostile and stronger variant of piglins that appears in all types of bastion remnants. They always attack the player. They do not barter, they do not retreat, and cannot be distracted by gold.
A small number of piglin brutes spawn in bastion remnants only upon generation and in some rooms. They do not have a baby variant.
Piglin brutes spawn with a golden axe, occasionally with enchantments. They never spawn with armor and do not equip armor from the ground, although they can still be equipped with armor via dispensers or commands.
- A piglin brute has 8.5% chance of dropping a golden axe with a random item durability, increased by 1% with each level of Looting, with a total 11.5% chance with looting III.
- 20 experience points are dropped upon death if killed by a player or a tamed wolf.
Piglin brutes attack players, wither skeletons, and withers within 16 blocks and are not distracted by golden items or blocks. They also attack any mob (except for goats) that attacks any piglin, or piglin brute, either by accident or purposefully. Examples include retaliation for attacks by snow golems and iron golems. Other mobs that accidently shoot another piglin or another piglin brute causes the piglin brute to become hostile toward that mob.
Piglin brutes, along with vindicators, deal the highest amount of raw melee damage in the game, inflicting an alarming 19 × 9.5 points of damage on Hard difficulty. They pose a serious threat even to well-prepared and heavily armored players.
Behaviors shared by both piglins and piglin brutes:
- Can open wooden doors.
- Call nearby piglins and other piglin brutes once attacked by a mob or a player, no matter whether the player wears golden armor or not.
- Are not naturally immune to fire or lava.
- Join in hunts. [BE only]
- Turns into a zombified piglin when in the overworld or the end for more than 15 seconds.
- Attack nearby withers and wither Skeletons
Behaviors specific to piglin brutes:
- Piglin brutes attack players on sight.
- Piglin brutes do not retreat from soul fire items nor from zoglins or zombified piglins.
- Piglin brutes do not do a "victory dance".
- Piglin brutes are not alerted by opening/mining of containers or the breaking of gold-type blocks, or if the player doesn't wear gold armor.
- Piglin brutes do not follow players that hold a gold item or a gold-related, unlike piglins. This includes holding a gold item in creative mode.
- Piglin brutes cannot barter, as the player cannot use a gold ingot on them.
- Piglin brutes pick up regular or enchanted golden axes only if walking over them. Unlike piglins, piglin brutes ignore all other golden items or gold ingots, meaning they cannot equip armor. However, they can still be equipped via dispensers or commands.
- They do not have a baby variant, this also means they cannot ride hoglins.
- They are incapable of using crossbows.
- If spawned in bastion remnants during world generation they will remember their home and attempt to return to it when not engaged in combat.
- Do not join hunts; will not attack hoglins. [JE only] 
When in the Overworld or the End, piglin brutes transform into zombified piglins after 15 seconds. Upon transformation, the spawned zombified piglin has the Nausea effect for 10 seconds. This Nausea effect is purely cosmetic. When turned into a zombified piglin, a piglin brute keeps its axe.
Piglin brutes summoned in the overworld with no AI do not zombify and do not pick up items.
|Sound||Subtitles||Source||Description||Resource location||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Piglin Brute snorts||Hostile Creatures||Piglin Brute randomly snorts.||0.9||?||?|
|Piglin Brute snorts angrily||Hostile Creatures||Piglin Brute finds a player breaking into the bastion.||0.9||?||?|
|Piglin Brute hurts||Hostile Creatures||Piglin Brute is attacked by the player.||0.64||?||?|
|Piglin Brute dies||Hostile Creatures||Piglin Brute is killed by the player.||0.8||?||?|
|Piglin Brute steps||Hostile Creatures||Piglin Brute walks around the bastion.||0.75||?||?|
|Piglin Brute converts to Zombified Piglin||Hostile Creatures||Piglin Brute converts into a zombified piglin via the overworld or the end.||1.0||0.9||?|
|Name||Resource location||Translation key|
|Name||Resource location||Numeric ID||Translation key|
Piglin brutes have entity data associated with them that contains various properties.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities
- Tags common to all mobs
- IsImmuneToZombification: 1 or 0 (true/false) – if true, the piglin brute does not transform to a zombified piglin when in the Overworld.
- TimeInOverworld: The number of ticks that the piglin brute has existed in the Overworld; the piglin brute converts to a zombified piglin when this is greater than 300.
|June 25, 2020||Piglin brutes are mentioned to come to Java Edition in a 1.16.x release.|
|1.16.2||20w27a||Added piglin brutes.|
|1.16.20||beta 18.104.22.168||Added piglin brutes.|
|beta 22.214.171.124||The axe that is wielded by piglin brutes may be enchanted now.|
|beta 126.96.36.199||The attack animation of unarmed piglin brutes has been changed.|
|1.16.100||beta 188.8.131.52||Piglin brutes no longer spawn with enchanted axes.|
|Piglin brutes now drop 20 experience points, instead of 10.|
|beta 184.108.40.206||Zombified piglins that are converted from piglin brutes now keep their golden axes.|
- Piglin brutes were created late in 1.16's development, so they were pushed to a minor release as the developers did not want to add a new feature so close to release.
- The golden arm guard is meant to work as a "protection" and is the reason behind their high health.
- Piglin brutes have no pupils, unlike Overworld pigs.
- Sounds that are used by the piglins are lower-pitched when used by the piglin brute (like the
- Piglin brutes were made to trigger normal piglins when attacked, as to encourage players to avoid or maneuver around them.
A preview of the piglin brute.
- – resolved as "Works as Intended"
- – resolved as "Works as Intended"
- "Pretty much, yes." – @henrikkniberg on Twitter, June 25, 2020
- "Their golden arm guard functions as a mini shield, now it won't block in animation, but that's the idea behind it🙏Hence why they have more health than normal piglins, they don't wear armor at all, they feel like it wears them down. These piggies are strong on their own" – @JasperBoerstra on Twitter, June 25, 2020
- "It's 100% not useless! You don't want to come to a Bastion without gold armor, even if the Brutes will attack you without it they are less common in the Bastions than normal Piglins. The idea is to try to avoid or maneuver around the Brutes." – @kingbdogz on Twitter, June 26, 2020
- "Introducing the Piglin Brute. A stronger Piglin not distracted by gold, as they are devoted to protecting the treasures in the Bastions. They do not respect your golden armor, they see right through your disguise." – @JasperBoerstra on Twitter, June 25, 2020