16 × 8
In Java Edition:
In Bedrock Edition:
A piglin is a neutral mob found in the Nether. They attack players on sight unless the player is equipped with at least one piece of golden armor. Players can use gold ingots to barter with them for various items.
- 1 Spawning
- 2 Drops
- 3 Behavior
- 3.1 Aggravation
- 3.2 Attacking
- 3.3 Bartering
- 3.4 Picking up items
- 3.5 Zombification
- 4 Sounds
- 5 Data values
- 6 Achievements
- 7 Advancements
- 8 History
- 9 Issues
- 10 Trivia
- 11 Gallery
- 12 References
- 13 See also
Piglins spawn in groups of 2-4 in nether wastes and crimson forest biomes, and within bastion remnants, at a light level of 11 or less in Java Edition, or 7 or less in Bedrock Edition on most blocks other than nether wart blocks or magma blocks. In Bedrock Edition, they can naturally spawn even in Peaceful difficulty. Each piglin has a 20%[Java Edition only] or 5%[Bedrock Edition only] chance of spawning as a baby.
Babies spawn without equipment.
In Java Edition, a picked-up item always drops with the same durability as when picked up. In Bedrock Edition, armor picked up by piglins can lose durability and even break depending on how much damage the piglin takes. Piglins do not drop gold ingots, raw porkchops, or cooked porkchops that they have earlier picked up.
Adults sometimes spawn with 1-4 normal or enchanted pieces of armor, which may be:
These are dropped with an 8.5% chance and random durability.
They can also pick up other types of armor.
Adults drop 5 and an additional 1–3 per armor piece if killed by a player or tamed wolf. Baby piglins drop 1.
Piglins snort enviously while watching players holding a gold-related item.
Idle piglins retreat from zombified piglins, zoglins, soul fire, soul torches, soul lanterns, and lit soul campfires. Piglins ignore soul fire items when pursuing the player, but still run from zombified piglins and zoglins. Baby piglins additionally retreat from wither skeletons and withers.
Crossbow piglins do not reload their crossbows when spawned, unlike pillagers. They only reload when provoked.
Baby piglins are passive and play with baby hoglins, running around and riding upon them. Up to 3 baby piglins may stack on top of each other while riding a baby hoglin.
Baby piglins can be given gold, but they do not give anything in return and run away. Baby piglins can also pick up and wear armor as well as hold gold tools or weapons. They can also pick up dropped fungi.
Baby piglins never grow up; this is intentional behavior.
Adult piglins are neutral if the player is wearing at least one piece of golden armor. Piglins are provoked by any player who:
- Is not wearing any piece of gold armor.
- Short range, light aggravation
- Attacks a piglin or piglin brute, regardless if the player kills it in one hit or not.
- Long range, heavy aggravation to damaged piglin, medium aggravation to other piglins
- Opens or breaks a chest, trapped chest, ender chest, shulker box, barrel, minecart with chest, or minecart with hopper.
- Opening is short range, medium aggravation
- Breaking is mid range, medium aggravation
- Breaks a block of gold, gold ore, gilded blackstone, nether gold ore, block of raw gold or deepslate gold ore.
- Mid range, medium aggravation
- Short range: When a piglin has been aggravated by a player not wearing gold armor, or opening a container, piglins from up to around 15 blocks centered around the player become aggravated by the player if there is a straight line of sight to the player.
- Mid range: When a piglin has been aggravated by a player breaking a golden block or a container, piglins from up to 16 blocks from the player’s feet become aggravated. No line of sight is required.
- Long range: When a piglin has been aggravated by a player damaging a piglin or piglin brute, piglins from up to 16 blocks from the damaged piglin (rather than the player) become aggravated. No line of sight is required.
- Light aggravation occurs when a piglin has been aggravated by a player not wearing gold armor.
- The piglin can de-aggravate when the player puts on gold armor, distracts the piglin with gold, or the piglin loses a line of sight with the player.
- Medium aggravation occurs when a piglin has been aggravated by a player opening/breaking a container or breaking a golden block, or when a piglin witnesses a piglin brute or another piglin getting damaged by a player.
- Piglins under medium aggravation can be distracted with gold.
- A piglin already under light aggravation does not re-aggravate to medium aggravation. This means that if a piglin knows a player broke a golden block near them after already going after them due to them not wearing gold armor, the player can de-aggravate that piglin by putting on gold armor or losing the line of sight despite the fact that the player broke the golden block.
- Heavy aggravation occurs if a piglin is damaged.
- The piglin cannot be distracted by gold and is unable to barter while under heavy aggravation.
- If the player is under the influence of the Invisibility effect, they can open containers in front of piglins without aggravating them (short range), although breaking containers or golden blocks still angers them (mid/long range).
Piglins do not react to the opening or breaking of furnaces, blast furnaces, smokers, droppers, dispensers, or brewing stands. Opening or breaking a hopper does not provoke the piglins. Breaking a bell does not provoke them either, despite piglins admiring them as gold.
When a piglin is attacking, it holds its dominant arm and sword in front of it, similar to a vindicator.
Adult piglins congregate within 16 blocks and attack in hordes.
When attacking with a crossbow, piglins shoot arrows every 2 seconds. In Java Edition, they walk backward (stopping if at the edge of a drop) as soon as the target is close. Their crossbows can break if it runs out of durability, making the piglins use their fists. Unlike mobs armed with bows, they do not strafe from left to right while shooting. Piglins with swords and other items rush at the player.
If a group of piglins successfully defeat their target, they gather at the site of their target's demise and emit "celebration sounds". However, piglins do not have a chance of dancing unless their target was a hoglin.
When a mob attacks a piglin or piglin brute with no AI, the piglin around that no AI piglin or piglin brute do not attack the mob that attacked it.
Piglins sometimes attack hoglins, causing other piglins and piglin brutes[Bedrock Edition only] in that area to attack the targeted hoglin as well.
Adults do not immediately attack adult hoglins on sight, but a piglin has a random chance to make the decision to hunt a hoglin (this decision almost never happens if the piglin recently hunted, but other piglins can still start a hunt). Once that piglin attacks the hoglin, all other piglins and piglin brutes[Bedrock Edition only] in that area become hostile to the hoglin. If outnumbered by hoglins, the piglins flee, making "retreat" sounds. After defeating a hoglin, piglins have a 10% chance to do a "victory dance" by bobbing their heads and sticking out their arms like a T-pose.
The more piglins there are, the bigger chance of a hunt might happen (because a lot of piglins that saw the hoglin has a 10% chance of starting a hunt).
After a hunt, any nearby piglins pick up the porkchops or cooked porkchops the hoglin dropped but not the leather. Piglin brutes never pick up any porkchops or leather.
Piglins that spawned as part of a bastion remnant during world generation do not hunt.
Piglin brutes also join in hunts started by piglins, but do not start a hunt themselves.[Bedrock Edition only]
Piglins briefly stop attacking when given gold items. If the player offers a gold ingot, bartering then takes place as it normally would. They resume attacking once the barter is complete. If the player distracts them with a gold item and equips a piece of gold armor while the piglin is examining the item, then the piglin ceases hostility. They may also cease hostility if distracted enough times. If the player breaks any gold-related block or hurt/kill a piglin and then distracts the piglin up to 5 times with a piece of gold armor equipped, the piglin ceases hostility entirely.
Adult piglins can trade gold ingots for certain items, when a gold ingot is dropped near them or the player uses it while looking at them. The piglin "examines" the ingot for six[JE only] or eight[BE only] seconds, then drops a random item from the chart. However, baby piglins examine the ingot and then run away without dropping an item. Piglins can also pick up items dropped by a dispenser or dropper. The pool for what piglins can barter may be modified in a Data Pack[JE only].
Piglins can still barter while riding another mob.
Picking up items
Piglins can pick up and equip any items they come across, preferring gold-related items, which they actively seek out. A piglin inspects any gold-related item before equipping, holding or putting that item in its inventory for six seconds after picking it up. However, items not related to gold are held or equipped (if the piglin does not have any gold equipment) instantly. Piglins do not pick up any items if the MobGriefing gamerule is set to false.
Piglins have eight hidden inventory slots in which they can stack items. Piglins with full inventories do not attempt to pick up gold-related items, except gold ingots. Baby piglins attempt to pick up any item and do not give the player any items in exchange for gold ingots. Adult piglins can pick up gold nuggets (which do not help to obtain better items from bartering but will be immediately placed in their inventory), porkchops and cooked porkchops (they do not actively seek out and contemplate porkchops). Piglins drop any of these items upon death aside from gold ingots, raw porkchops, and cooked porkchops.
If a piglin is killed in one hit while admiring a gold ingot, the ingot does get dropped upon the piglin’s death.
When a piglin is admiring a gold ingot while bartering, it does not run away from nearby zoglins or nearby zombified piglins.
Piglins with crossbows can pick up normal or enchanted crossbows and equip them.
Like other mobs capable of picking up items, piglins pick up armor and weapons. Piglins pick up armor that is better than the armor they are already wearing, although they prefer gold over stronger armor. For example, a piglin does not pick up leather boots if it is already wearing diamond boots, but may discard a netherite chestplate to pick up a golden chestplate. However, they cannot unequip and discard armor with Curse of Binding.
Piglins that spawned in a bastion remnant during world generation, or that have picked up items or equipment do not despawn naturally.
Items picked up by a piglin do not drop when the piglin is killed.
Items piglins want
These items are listed in the
- Block of gold
- Block of Raw Gold
- Deepslate gold ore
- Enchanted golden apple
- Gilded blackstone
- Glistering melon slice
- Raw Gold
- Gold ingot (piglins barter something else in return)
- Gold nugget
- Gold ore
- Golden apple
- Golden axe
- Golden boots (worn after being examined)
- Golden carrot
- Golden chestplate (worn after being examined)
- Golden helmet (worn after being examined)
- Golden hoe
- Golden horse armor
- Golden leggings (worn after being examined)
- Golden pickaxe
- Golden shovel
- Golden sword (equipped if piglin is using a non-gold weapon or crossbow, or does not already have one)
- Light weighted pressure plate
- Nether gold ore
- Powered rail[Bedrock Edition only]
- Firework star (star shape)
- Netherite ingot
- Banner pattern (thing)
- Powered rail[Java Edition only]
- Gold[Bedrock Edition only]
Gold-like items not wanted by piglins
When in the Overworld or the End, piglins transform into zombified piglins after 15 seconds, retaining their armor but does not lose their name. However, they cannot shoot a crossbow, using it instead as a melee weapon. Upon transformation, the spawned zombified piglin has the Nausea effect for 10 seconds; this is just a cosmetic effect. When a piglin transforms into a zombified piglin, it drops anything except equipped weapons and armor in its inventory; other items in its inventory disappear. In Bedrock Edition, if the game is set to Peaceful difficulty, the piglin despawns instead of transforming because hostile mobs do not exist in Peaceful difficulty. A piglin that returns to the Nether before 15 seconds remain unchanged.
Piglins summoned in the Overworld or the End with no AI do not zombify, nor they pick up armor, weapons, or gold items.
In Java Edition, if a piglin is inspecting/admiring a gold ingot or a gold-related item and then gets zombified while inspecting, it drops the gold ingot or the gold-related item.
|Sound||Subtitles||Source||Description||Resource location||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Piglin snorts||Hostile Creatures||Piglin randomly snorts.||0.7||?||?|
|Piglin snorts angrily||Hostile Creatures||Piglin snorts when provoked.||0.7||?||?|
|Piglin retreats||Hostile Creatures||Piglin is scared off by a Zombified Piglin, Zoglin, or soul fire.||0.7||?||?|
|Piglin hurts||Hostile Creatures||Piglin gets hurt.||0.7||?||?|
|Piglin dies||Hostile Creatures||Piglin dies.||0.7-0.8||?||?|
|Piglin steps||Hostile Creatures||Piglin walks.||0.75||?||?|
|Piglin celebrates||Hostile Creatures||Piglin snorts when they dance.||60.3||50.0||?|
|Piglin snorts enviously||Hostile Creatures||Piglin can't pick up item from the ground because another Piglin picked it up, or when a player holds a gold related item.||0.8||?||?|
|Piglin admires item||Hostile Creatures||Piglin admires a gold item.||0.8-0.85||?||?|
|Piglin converts to Zombified Piglin||Hostile Creatures||Piglin converts to Zombified Piglin in the Overworld or The End.||1.0||?||?|
|Name||Resource location||Translation key|
|Name||Resource location||Numeric ID||Translation key|
Piglins have entity data associated with them that contains various properties.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities
- Tags common to all mobs
- CannotHunt: 1 or 0 (true/false) – if true, the piglin does not attack hoglins. Set to true for piglins spawned as a part of bastion remnants.
- Inventory: Each compound tag in this list is an item in the piglin's inventory. It can hold a maximum of 8 items.
- An item in the inventory, excluding the Slot tag.
- Tags common to all items
- An item in the inventory, excluding the Slot tag.
- IsBaby: 1 or 0 (true/false) – true if the piglin is a baby. May not exist.
- IsImmuneToZombification: 1 or 0 (true/false) – if true, the piglin does not transform to a zombified piglin when in the Overworld.
- TimeInOverworld: The number of ticks that the piglin has existed in the Overworld; the piglin converts to a zombified piglin when this is greater than 300.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Gamerscore earned||Trophy type (PS4)|
|Oooh, shiny!||Distract a Piglin using gold.||Give a piglin a gold item while it is aggressive toward the player.||30G||Silver|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Resource location|
|Stone Age||Mine stone with your new pickaxe||Minecraft||Have one of these 3 stones in the |
|Suit Up||Protect yourself with a piece of iron armor||Acquire Hardware||Have any type of iron armor in your inventory.|
|Not Today, Thank You||Block a projectile using your shield.||Suit Up||Block any projectile with a shield.|
|Ice Bucket Challenge||Obtain a block of obsidian||Hot Stuff||Have a block of obsidian in your inventory.|
|Who is Cutting Onions?||Obtain Crying Obsidian||Nether||Have a block of crying obsidian in your inventory.|
|Oh Shiny||Distract Piglins with gold||Nether||Give a piglin one of these 24 gold-related items in the |
|Adventure||Adventure, exploration, and combat||—||Kill any entity, or be killed by any entity.|
|Monster Hunter||Kill any hostile monster||Adventure||Kill one of these 34 mobs:
|Monsters Hunted||Kill one of every hostile monster||Monster Hunter||Kill each of these 34 mobs:
The specific instructions are:
- Bedrock 22.214.171.124 - "Gold ingots now render properly in piglin's hands at all times." (Before and After)
|October 26, 2010||Miclee suggests the concept of pigmen, the predecessor to piglins, resulting in him receiving the Bacon Cape as a reward.|
|Java Edition Alpha|
|v1.2.0||preview||The texture of pigmen has been added to mobs/pigman.png.|
|Java Edition Beta|
|April 25, 2011||It is suggested that pigmen may be the inhabitants of the then-to-be-implemented villages.|
|1.6.2||Pigman's texture file has been removed.|
|September 28, 2019||Piglins are announced at MINECON Live 2019.|
|Footage shown at MINECON Live shows that angered piglins raise their arms in a manner similar to zombies, a behavior not reflected in the final version.|
|December 5, 2019||A video shows a piglin with a baby hoglin.|
|December 14, 2019||An image of a hoglin and piglins is released.|
|January 14, 2020||A video shows piglins picking up gold thrown by the player and throwing back a placeholder diamond.|
|March 4, 2020||An official post on Crowdin explains that the piglin was named such because it is a gender-neutral form of the word pigman.|
|1.16||20w07a||Added piglins and baby piglins.|
|Piglins can hold crossbows.|
|Piglins can be converted into zombie pigmen in the Overworld.|
|The player can barter with Piglins.|
|Piglins attack wither skeletons, but only when in groups of two or more.|
|20w09a||Piglins now have an |
|The loot table of items that can be bartered from piglins has been modified.|
|Baby piglins can now ride on the back of baby hoglins.|
|20w10a||The loot table of items that can be bartered from piglins has been modified again.|
|Piglins do not need to be in a group to attack a wither skeleton anymore and wither skeletons will now attack piglins unprovoked.|
|20w11a||Enchanted books and iron boots with Soul Speed have been added to the items that can be bartered from piglins.|
|20w12a||Baby piglins can now ride on top of each other on a baby hoglin, up to three baby piglins can climb on at once.|
|20w14a||Piglins now avoid zoglins, the same way they avoid zombified piglins.|
|Baby piglins no longer have a weapon when they turn into a zombie.|
|The texture size has changed from 128x64 to 64x64, and the layout of the parts of the ears of piglins has been changed.|
|20w16a||Piglins now spawn in bastion remnants.|
|20w19a||Piglins now become zombified piglins when in the End.|
|20w21a||Piglins no longer walk around when admiring gold.|
|If a piglin is hurt while admiring an gold ingot, the ingot now disappears.|
|20w22a||Piglins now occasionally dance after defeating a hoglin.|
|Piglins now have the vindicator attacking animation when melee attacking.|
|pre3||The position of the head of piglins when they are dancing has been changed from to .|
|The helmet model now uses the player helmet model on the piglins instead of a unique one that appears wider than the player's.|
|pre6||Adult piglins now may spawn with enchanted gears.|
|1.16.2||Pre-release 1||Piglins now become angry with players who open or destroy a minecart with chest or a minecart with hopper.|
|1.16.3||Release Candidate 1||Piglins no longer have pathfinding problems.|
|1.17||21w08a||Piglins now become angry with players who destroy deepslate gold ore.|
|21w14a||Added raw gold, which piglins attempt to pick up.|
|21w18a||Piglins now become angry with players who destroy blocks of raw gold.|
|Piglins can also now pick up blocks of raw gold.|
|1.16.0||beta 126.96.36.199||Added piglins and baby piglins.|
|Piglins can hold crossbows.|
|Baby piglins can ride on the back of baby hoglins.|
|Piglins raise their arms in a manner similar to zombies when attacking.|
|Currently, piglins can drop only flint and steel and obsidian while bartering as a placeholder.|
|Piglins currently drop 0-2 arrows, even if the piglin is not armed with a crossbow.|
|Piglins currently use the player's hurt sound.|
|Piglins follow a player who holds a gold ingot.|
|Piglins dance after they finish hoglin hunting.|
|beta 188.8.131.52||Piglins now have their own sounds.|
|Piglin bartering has been properly added.|
|Piglins can no longer drop arrows when killed.|
|The health of piglins has been reduced from 24 to 16.|
|Piglins now spawn in bastion remnants.|
|Baby piglins can now ride on top of each other on a baby hoglin, up to three baby piglins can climb on at once.|
|beta 184.108.40.206||Piglins now avoid zoglins, the same way they avoid zombified piglins.|
|Piglins now spawn in the nether wastes.|
|Piglins now properly sit in boats and minecarts.|
|Piglins no longer despawn in Peaceful mode.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||Piglins now avoid soul campfires.|
|Gold ingots now render properly in the hands of piglins at all times.|
|1.16.20||beta 18.104.22.168||Adult piglins drop gold ingots if killed with one hit while contemplating them and no longer spawn with enchanted weapons or armor.|
|The texture size has changed from 128x128 to 64x64, and the layout of the parts of the ears of piglins has been changed to match Java Edition 20w14a's.|
|Piglins now have the vindicator attacking animation when melee attacking, similar to Java Edition's from to|
|beta 22.214.171.124||Piglins can now spawn with enchanted weapons again.|
|beta 126.96.36.199||The attack animation of unarmed piglins has been changed.|
|1.16.100||beta 188.8.131.52||Piglins now keep their Crossbows when zombified.|
|1.17.0||beta 184.108.40.206||Piglins now pick up raw gold, block of raw gold, and deepslate gold ore.|
- In the banner pattern "snout", there is a piglin snout. This is the same in the chiseled blackstone.
- In Bedrock Edition, baby piglins make angry noises when any piglin gets angry.
- Piglin sounds were made by blending sounds of a Swedish domestic pig known as a "Linderödssvin".
- In Bedrock Edition, a baby piglin can be made to wear armor and wield a sword, but not a gold sword.
The specific instructions are: A gif render of a piglin breaking its crossbow
Piglins attacking wither skeletons.
A render error causing the enchantment glint to cover the snout, fixed in 20w18a.
A piglin chasing a hoglin.
An example of a baby piglin holding a lava bucket.
An example of a baby piglin riding a baby hoglin.
Piglins in promotional artwork for the Nether Update.
Piglin Spirit from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
Lego Minecraft Piglin.
- – resolved as "Works As Intended"
- – resolved as "Works As Intended"
- – resolved as "Works As Intended"
- – resolved as "Works As Intended"
- – resolved as "Works As Intended"
- resolved as "Works as Intended"
- This item is not listed in the
piglin_loveditem tag. Piglins pick this item up instantly. This is because this tag is also used for the trigger of the advancement/achievement "O(oo)h Shiny!"
- Resolved as "Works As Intended"
- Resolved as "Works as Intended"
- The texture was added in the preview, as the texture dates from October 27, 2010 and the preview released at October 29, 2010.
- for users without accounts: https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/449243256849563648/690754756938825748/image0.png
- "They’re all a blend of recordings of a swedish domestic pig ”Linderödssvin” and a real snorty session in the recording booth. Brutes had a unique session but a different personality." – @slamp0000 on Twitter, April 6, 2021