Particles are a type of visual effect often encountered in Minecraft. They appear in a variety of situations and vary in appearance.
Particles are typically released as part of a spell, attack, or upon activation of a Status Effect, but they can also constantly emerge from certain objects.
/particle can summon any particle with a variety of parameters; naturally, however, particle effects appear in the following situations:
- Boats traveling over water create water splashes.
- Bubbles and splash effects occur around any Entity in Water.
- A Guardian's laser beam attack produces bubbles.
- Bubbles appear while Fishing.
- Wolves shake off droplets after coming out of water.
- Droplets fall from the bottom of any Blocks with water above them.
- Up and down "Bubble Columns", caused by underwater Magma Blocks and Soul Sand.
Mob and Combat Effects
- Attacks that land a critical hit produce sparkles.
- Evoker spells
- Explosions from a Ghast's fireball, a Wither's skull attack, or an exploding Creeper.
- When a mob dies.
- When a mob appears from a mob spawner.
- When shearing a Mooshroom.
- When a Villager is attacked.
- Trading with a villager.
- Footsteps on certain surfaces.
- A Slime hitting the ground.
- Heart particles above an animal when Taming or Breeding.
- Snowflakes appear when creating a Snow Golem.
- Some mobs have particle effects when they Spawn.
- Shulker attacks.
- The breath attack of an Ender Dragon.
- Swords "sweep" attack.
- Squids squirt ink when attacked.
- Llamas spit.
- Smoke particles appear when taming an animal.
- Smoke flows from the wither and it's skull attack.
- Smoke flows from a ghast's fireball attack.
- Smoke flows from a flying Phantom.
Block and Item Effects
- The tail and explosion of a Firework Rocket.
- Smoke flows from the following: Brewing Stand, Dispenser, Dropper, End Portal, an Eye of Ender being placed into an End Portal Frame, furnace, lava (when raining), mob spawner, a Redstone Torch that fizzles out, torches, primed TNT.
- More intense smoke flows from fire and a Minecart with Furnace.
- Potions, Splash Potions, Lingering Potions and Bottle o' Enchanting.
- Spectral and tipped Arrows.
- Droplets form on the bottom of any block underneath lava.
- Spore particles come out of Mycelium.
- Purple particles are emitted from Chorus Fruit (when eaten), Dragon Egg, Endermen, Endermite, Ender Pearl, eye of ender, Ender Chest, End Gateway, Nether Portal.
- An active Enchantment Table.
- Many Redstone-related objects emit red particles.
- A Snowball hitting a surface.
- A shattering-type particle effect when certain things break: Egg, splash potions, eye of ender, Tools, certain blocks.
- End Rods
- Dust falls from Sand and Gravel.
- A Totem of Undying activating.
- A block of primed TNT exploding.
- Particles in the color of the block mined.