In Java Edition:
In Bedrock Edition:
|Items usable on|
- 1 Spawning
- 2 Drops
- 3 Behavior
- 4 Sounds
- 5 Data values
- 6 Advancements
- 7 History
- 8 Issues
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Gallery
- 11 References
When a parrot is killed, it drops:
- 1-2feathers. The maximum is increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a range of 1–5 with Looting III.
- 1–3 when killed by a player or tamed wolf.
Parrots are passive. They can fly, and usually fly upward if struck. They fly under normal conditions, but they can tire and return to the ground.
Parrots crowd and settle around other nearby mobs, including neutral and hostile mobs.
Like chickens, parrots flap their wings and fall slowly, preventing fall damage.
Like tamed wolves and cats, a tamed parrot follows the player unless told to sit, and may teleport if there is a sufficient distance between them and the player. Like all tamed animals upon death, a death message is displayed to its owner.
Parrot teleportation is completely silent, which is intentional.
Perching on shoulders
A tamed parrot on the ground can be made to perch on its player's shoulder by moving through the parrot. On its own, a tamed parrot can also fly to and perch on the player's shoulder, unless it has been told to sit. A player can have one parrot on each shoulder. Parrots always prefer a player's left shoulder first, if it is empty.
A parrot dismounts its player when the player:
- jumps down natural terrain, that is:
- the player does not land on a high-enough surface (1⁄2 block up or higher)
- the player drops off a ledge of higher than 3⁄4 of a block
- takes damage
- submerges the player's feet into the water of any height
- starts drowning
- sleeps on a bed
- submerges the player's head in lava (the parrot dismounts and burns even if the player has Fire Resistance)
Parrots on a shoulder always look in the same direction the player's head is looking.
A parrot on a shoulder cannot take any damage but may get hurt as soon as it dismounts, as when dismounting a player submerged in lava.
A parrot sitting on a shoulder appears in the inventory interface.
Parrots imitate the idle sounds of nearby hostile and certain neutral mobs (including the hiss of creepers for example); they have a detection range of 20 blocks (cubical). The sound produced by the parrots is simply the same sound as the mob being mimicked at a higher pitch. They tend to look in the direction of the mob they are mimicking. Occasionally, a parrot may imitate sounds of mobs that are not in the area.
Parrots dance near a jukebox if a music disc is inside it. Parrots even have the ability to dance while on a player's shoulder.[BE only] This is a reference to the Party Parrot meme. The game does not seem to have any real way to determine when the music ends, though; as long as the disc remains in the jukebox, the parrot continues dancing even after the music stops.
The dancing radius is 3 blocks from the jukebox. If they dance and then fly beyond this radius, they stop dancing.
In Java Edition, attempting to feed a parrot a cookie instantly kills it, emitting Poison particles as it dies. In Bedrock Edition, feeding a cookie to a parrot gives it fatal poison instead. This is a reference to the fact that chocolate is toxic to parrots.
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Parrot talks||Friendly Creatures||idling||0.7||1.0||16|
|Parrot dies||Friendly Creatures||dying||1.0||0.9 / 0.7||16|
|Parrot eats||Friendly Creatures||eating||1.0||1.0||16|
|Parrot flutters||Friendly Creatures||flying||1.0||1.0||16|
|Parrot hurts||Friendly Creatures||gets hit||1.0||0.8 / 0.9||16|
|None[sound 1]||Friendly Creatures||walking||None[sound 1]||1.0||1.0||16|
Note that these are the original mob sounds, and not the pitched up ones heard from parrots in game.
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Parrot breathes||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Blaze||0.4||1.8||16|
|Parrot hisses||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Creeper||0.6||1.8||16|
|Parrot gurgles||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Drowned||0.6||1.8||16|
|Parrot flaps||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating an Elder Guardian||0.7||1.8||16|
|Parrot roars||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating an Ender Dragon||0.2||1.8||16|
|Parrot scuttles||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating an Endermite||0.7||1.8||16|
|Parrot murmurs||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating an Evoker||0.6||1.8||16|
|Parrot cries||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Ghast||0.7||1.8||16|
|Parrot moans||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Guardian||0.4||1.8||16|
|Parrot groans||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Husk||0.6||1.8||16|
|Parrot murmurs||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating an Illusioner||0.7||1.8||16|
|Parrot squishes||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Magma cube||0.6||1.8||16|
|Parrot screeches||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Phantom||0.6||1.7||16|
|Parrot murmurs||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Pillager||0.4||1.8||16|
|Parrot grunts||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Ravager||0.2||1.8||16|
|Parrot lurks||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Shulker||0.4||1.7||16|
|Parrot hisses||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Silverfish||0.7||1.8||16|
|Parrot rattles||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Skeleton||1.0||1.7||16|
|Parrot squishes||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Slime||0.6||1.8||16|
|Parrot hisses||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Spider||0.6||1.8||16|
|Parrot rattles||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Stray||0.6||1.6||16|
|Parrot vexes||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Vex||0.8||1.6||16|
|Parrot mutters||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Vindicator||0.6||1.7||16|
|Parrot giggles||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Witch||0.5||1.8||16|
|Parrot angers||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Wither||0.2||1.8||16|
|Parrot rattles||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Wither skeleton||0.7||1.8||16|
|Parrot groans||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Zombie||0.6||1.8||16|
|Parrot groans||Friendly Creatures||Entity imitating a Zombie villager||0.6||1.8||16|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Translation key|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
Parrots have entity data associated with them that contain various properties.
When a parrot is resting on the player's shoulder, it ceases to be a distinct entity and its entity data is stored in the player's
ShoulderEntityRight NBT. See also Player.dat format.
- Entity data
- Additional fields for mobs that can be tamed by players
- Tags common to all entities
- Tags common to all mobs
- Variant: Specifies the color variant of the parrot, default is 0.
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Namespaced ID|
|Best Friends Forever||Tame an animal||Husbandry||Tame one of these tameable mobs:[upcoming: JE 1.17]|
|March 23, 2017||Maria Lemón tweets that her new mob, created with the help of RazzleberryFox, will be showcased in the next snapshot. "It's flytastic!"|
|Later the same day, she revealed that the new mob will be parrots.|
|March 26, 2017||Maria reveals that parrots can copy the sounds of other mobs around it.|
|Later the same day, she tweets an image of Steve "the parrot king" carrying parrots on his shoulder.|
|March 28, 2017||Maria tweets another image of parrots, showcasing their ability to fly and slowly drift downward.|
|March 30, 2017||Shortly before the snapshot was released, Maria revealed that parrots are attracted to cookies. This is a reference to the popular phrase "Polly wants a cracker". In real life, parrots should not be fed chocolate chip cookies, as chocolate is toxic to parrots.|
|17w13b||Added gray-yellow parrot.|
|17w14a||The right-click action has been changed: right-clicking on a tamed parrot now tells it to sit.|
|Having a parrot sit on the player's shoulders now require the player to walk through the parrot.|
|Parrots now dance and change colors if music is playing on a nearby jukebox.|
|Parrots now make sounds when sitting on the player's shoulders.|
|17w15a||Parrots no longer change colors while dancing.|
|pre3||Parrots are now tamed with seeds, instead of cookies, after a post on Reddit.|
|Attempting to feed cookies to a parrot now instantly kills the parrot, causing it to emit poison particles. In an e-mail to Motherboard, Jens Bergensten explained: "Our reasoning for originally using cookies was twofold; it gave cookies a reason to exist within Minecraft, and it was a subtle reference to the Nirvana song 'Polly.' However, we didn't consider what the chocolate ingredient would mean to real life parrots!"|
|1.13||18w19a||Parrots now imitate phantoms and drowned.|
|1.14||19w11a||Parrots can now imitate ravagers, pillagers and pandas.|
|1.14.2||Pre-Release 1||Parrots no longer spawn on grass, but on grass blocks instead.|
|1.15||19w40a||Parrots can now sit on a player's shoulder even while the player is riding.|
|19w41a||Parrots no longer imitate pandas.|
|19w44a||Parrots no longer imitate polar bears, wolves, and zombie pigmen.|
|19w45a||Parrots no longer imitate endermen.|
|1.16||20w12a||Parrots now imitate hostile mobs less often.|
|Parrots no longer imitate hostile mobs when the gamemode is on Peaceful.|
|1.2.0||beta 220.127.116.11||Added parrots.|
|1.4.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Parrots can now imitate drowned sounds.|
|1.6.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Parrots can now imitate phantom sounds.|
|?||Parrots can now imitate pillagers and ravagers.|
|The sounds of the parrots have been changed to match Java Edition's.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU54||CU44||1.52||Patch 24||1.0.4||Added parrots.|
- Red parrots are based on real-life Scarlet macaw, "with a little Minecraft twist.". Similarly, blue parrots are based on hyacinth macaws, cyan parrots are based on blue-and-yellow macaws, green parrots are based on chestnut-fronted macaw, great green macaw, red-shouldered macaw or white-eyed parakeet and gray parrots are based on cockatiels.
- Warnings against feeding chocolate or avocados to parrots are referenced in two different splash texts.
- The Minecraft team uses various party parrot emojis when communicating with each other.
- The advancement obtained for breeding two animals is called The Parrots and the Bats, even though neither parrots nor bats can breed.
- The Parrot Dancing animation is based on the party parrot emojis, that are in turn, based on this kakapo.
The first image of parrots, tweeted by Maria Lemón.
Note how the parrots crowd around the villager in a tight circle.
In Other Media
|Parrots on other default skins|
- "Yes they fly, as high as they want to. :) But they do get tired and prefer to have somewhere to land." – @MiaLem_n on Twitter, March 29, 2017
- – resolved as "Invalid"
- – resolved as "Works as Intended"
- "It took you no time at all to find the party parrot easter egg! But there is one more you haven't found..." – @MiaLem_n on Twitter, April 5, 2017
- "Let me present the newest member of the Minecraft world! The parrot! Model by @RazzleberryFox" – @MiaLem_n on Twitter, March 23, 2017
- "Steve is the parrot king!" – @MiaLem_n on Twitter, March 26, 2017
- "+Michael sheehan it's just a reference to "Polly wants a cracker"." – slicedlime, March 31, 2017
- 'Minecraft' Is Patching the Game So Kids Won’t Poison Their Pet Birds; Motherboard; May 16, 2017
- "Macaws with a little Minecraft twist." – @MiaLem_n on Twitter, March 23, 2017
- "Really. We have over 20 different party parrot emojis. :D" – HelenAngel, April 5, 2017