|Health Points:||6HP (3x )|
|First Appearance:||1.12 (17w13a)|
Parrots spawn in Jungle Biomes, and can also be spawned using parrot spawn eggs. They can be red, green, blue, cyan, or gray in color. They move around by flying, but will always eventually land. They cannot walk, but can swim by flapping their wings (similar to Chickens). If a hostile mob is nearby, they will look in its direction and imitate the sound of the mob (though in a higher pitch). If untamed, they will often cluster around a non-parrot mob.
When a Jukebox is playing music, parrots will "dance" (as if a player is holding right-click); when the music ends, every affected parrot stops dancing. This is a reference to a meme which was popular at Mojang studios called "Party Parrot".
TamingPlayers can tame a parrot by giving them Seeds. Once tamed, a parrot will follow a player around, and teleport to the their side if they move too far away. Walking into a parrot will cause it to ride on a player's shoulder. At random intervals, a tamed parrot may attempt to sit on a players shoulder unless told to stay(sit). In order to get a parrot off one's shoulder, a player needs only to lose height (e.g. Jumping, travelling downhill, flying downward with Elytra, or by using a Firework Rocket). A parrot can be ordered to sit by right-clicking on them (PC). If a parrot is fed a Cookie, it will instantly die and emit poison Particles. If the parrot was tamed at the time it died, a server message will display: "Parrot was slain by <Player>."
- Although chocolate is toxic to birds in real life, cookies were used to tame them in previous snapshots. This had been changed before the full 1.12 release, as developers realized that people (particularly children) were likely encouraged to feed their pet parrots chocolate (which could kill them). The cookies were initially used because it was a reference to the phrase "Polly wants a cracker".
- The parrot model was designed by Razz.
- Parrots are based off of macaws, but with a Minecraft styling.
- Each of the parrot's variants are similar to the different types of parrots found in real life.
- If riding a horse and a parrot is on your shoulder, the parrot will not hop off. even if the horse jumps 5 blocks. the only way to get them off is killing yourself (or someone kills you) or getting off the horse (or it dies)
- ↑ The newest member of the Minecraft world - Twitter post by Maria Lemón
- ↑ https://twitter.com/MiaLem_n/status/846995981208096768 - Maria Lemón on Twiter
- ↑ https://twitter.com/Marc_IRL/status/849647336313815045 Marc Watson -Twitter
- ↑ https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/mgmk53/minecraft-parrots-patch
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA2pi7Kx9gQ&lc=z12ji5nibweehptw504cd3sikmqstlxa324.1490938502421634 - The Mojang employee Slicedlime on Youtube
- ↑ Macaws with a little Minecraft twist - Twitter post by Maria Lemón