20 × 10
In Java Edition:
|Items usable on|
Pandas spawn rarely, in groups of 1–2 in jungle biomes at the surface on grass blocks with at least two-block space above them at a light level of 9 or more. They are a bit more common in bamboo jungles.
Pandas spawn with a randomized personality, with the normal one being the most common and the brown variant being the rarest.
5% of pandas spawn as babies.
Upon death, adult pandas drop:
- 1 bamboo[Java Edition only]
- 0-2 bamboo, increased 1 per level by Looting.[Bedrock Edition only]
- 1–3, if killed by a tamed wolf or the player.
Baby pandas have 0.1% chance to drop 1 slimeball after they sneeze.
Upon successful breeding, 1–7 is dropped.
Pandas act similarly to other neutral mobs; they attack when hurt, but only once (similar to llamas, and bees). Pandas do not attack on Peaceful difficulty. They also move faster in water than other land mobs (similar to polar bears). Pandas follow any player who is carrying bamboo and stop following if the player moves beyond approximately 16 blocks away. They also whimper if a thunderstorm is happening in the area. Adult pandas seek out bamboo and cake to eat.
Baby pandas have a 0.01666% chance of sneezing every tick, which rarely drops a slime ball and make all adult pandas jump within 10 blocks of the sneezing baby panda. They also occasionally roll over and jump around.
Pandas have one private inventory.
Pandas have different personalities: either normal, lazy, worried, playful, aggressive, weak, or brown.
- Normal pandas:
- Do not have unique personality actions.
- Lazy pandas:
- Lie on their backs.
- Are slower than normal pandas, making them the slowest land mob in the game.
- Do not follow a player who is holding bamboo while they're lying on their back. [JE only] In Bedrock Edition, if a player is holding bamboo, a lazy panda stops lying on its back and starts following that player.
- Worried pandas:
- Playful pandas:
- Roll over and jump around even as adults. The ability to roll may sometimes cause harm or kill the panda as it can accidentally roll off a cliff or another high altitude.
- Aggressive pandas:
- When hit, an aggressive pandas attacks the player and other mobs continuously until the target dies or goes beyond detection range, instead of only once. It also doesn't panic when harmed.
- When nearby pandas are attacked, aggressive pandas becomes hostile toward the attacker.
- Are slow, but have reach rivaling that of the player.
- Weak pandas:
- Tend to sneeze more often as babies than regular baby pandas, and have half the health of other pandas.
- Brown pandas:
- Do not have unique personality actions, but are brown and white instead of the usual black and white.
The panda is the only animal to have extra breeding conditions. To enter love mode, there must be at least eight bamboo blocks within a five-block radius of both pandas. Once that requirement is met, feeding them bamboo causes them to mate, producing a baby panda, and the panda becomes passive instead of neutral toward that player. If a panda is fed without a sufficient amount of bamboo nearby, it sits and eats the bamboo, but does not enter love mode. Also, if the player feeds two pandas too close, they instead bleat and become hostile toward the player.
Each panda has two hidden values called "genes" or "alleles", similar to biology. There is the main gene and a hidden gene. Normal, aggressive, lazy, worried, and playful personalities are dominant traits, and weak and brown personalities are recessive traits. A dominant trait always has priority over a recessive trait. If both the main and hidden genes are dominant, the main gene has priority and presents itself as the panda's personality. Being recessive, weak and brown personalities occur if both the main and hidden genes of a panda are recessive genes. However, if the main gene is recessive and the hidden gene is not the same gene, then a normal personality results. To get a brown or weak panda, both the main and hidden genes must be both brown or weak.
When two pandas breed, each one passes one of their genes to their children, who then randomly mix both obtained genes as their respective main and hidden genes. There is also a 1⁄32 chance for each gene of the baby to mutate into another gene. Mutations have different probabilities to mutate into the different genes, these probabilities can be found in the table underneath. These mutation probabilities also apply to spawned (not bred) pandas for their main and hidden genes.
|Panda Personality||Hidden Gene|
- The only way to know the hidden gene of a panda is to use the command :
/data get entity @e[type=minecraft:panda,limit=1] HiddenGene[Java Edition only] or using third-party NBT editors.
The appearance of pandas depends on their personality:
- Aggressive pandas have angry eyebrows and a tight frown.
- Lazy pandas have a smiling face.
- Weak pandas have teary eyes and snotty noses.
- Worried pandas have 'puppy' eyes similar to tamed wolves.
- Playful pandas have their tongues out.
- Normal pandas have a frowning face.
- Brown pandas have brown and white fur and a frowning face. This is the rarest variant.
The specific instructions are: Add Worried Panda Idle 1, Re Add Nosebreath 1
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Panda's nose tickles||?||?||1||?||16|
|Panda eats||?||?||5 = 0.85; !5 = 1||?||16|
|Panda huffs||?||?||4 = 0.8; !4 = 1||?||16|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Translation key|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
Panda have entity data associated with them that contains various properties.
- Entity data
- Additional fields for mobs that can breed
- Tags common to all entities
- Tags common to all mobs
- HiddenGene: The secondary gene this panda has, that can transfer to the child.
- MainGene: The primary gene this panda has, that determines the behavior and appearance of the panda and that can transfer to the child.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Gamerscore earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Zoologist||Breed two pandas with bamboo.||—||40G||Gold|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Namespaced ID|
|The Parrots and the Bats||Breed two animals together||Husbandry||Breed a pair of any of these 21 mobs:[upcoming: JE 1.17]
|Two by Two||Breed all the animals!||The Parrots and the Bats||Breed pairs of each of these 21 mobs:[upcoming: JE 1.17]
|April 9, 2012||Dinnerbone states that he wants to add pandas into the game once he is "used to skinning and animating things".|
|December 18, 2013||Dinnerbone again states that he wants to add pandas into the game.|
|September 26, 2018||Pandas win a community vote to be the next mob added to Minecraft China.|
|September 29, 2018||Pandas are announced at MINECON Earth 2018.|
|Added baby pandas.|
|19w08a||Pandas can no longer have armor equipped onto them with a dispenser.|
|Naturally spawned pandas now have a 5% chance of being a baby.|
|1.15||19w39a||Due to a bug, the baby panda model is currently broken.|
|19w40a||The baby panda model has been fixed.|
|1.8.0||beta 126.96.36.199||Added pandas.|
|Added baby pandas.|
|beta 188.8.131.52||Added sounds for pandas.|
|Pandas can now directly be given bamboo to breed them.|
|Aggressive pandas now deal more damage.|
|Pandas now sit and snack, even if they're scared or angry at the player.|
|beta 184.108.40.206||The textures of aggressive pandas have been changed from to .|
|All default pandas now bite once when attacked.|
|Aggressive pandas now defend other pandas.|
|Pandas now broadcast their anger to aggressive pandas.|
|Aggressive pandas now have more attack damage when killing nearby players.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||Pandas now more quickly return to their normal behavior after following a player holding bamboo.|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
|Added baby pandas.|
- To create the in-game sounds for pandas, Mojang Studios' lead sound designer, Samuel Åberg, went to Guangzhou, China, to record real-life pandas. This was also done with dolphins.
- The brown panda, known as the Qinling panda, is actually a subspecies of the giant panda.
- The lazy panda is the slowest land mob in the game (not counting status effects such as Slowness).
- The rarest mob in Bedrock Edition is a baby husk with equipment and armor riding a brown panda, which has a 2.88×10−13 percent (one in 3.472 trillion) chance of spawning.
- The panda that sits on the title screen of the Bedrock Edition beta uses the model of the Java Edition panda's sitting pose. Therefore, this title screen can be identified as using a Java Edition screenshot.
The first image of pandas, from MINECON Earth 2018.
A group of pandas eating bamboo shown at MINECON Earth 2018.
A worried panda, covering its eyes during a thunderstorm.
Panda eating a cake.
In Other Media
- "Recording Panda sounds for Minecraft!" – October 9, 2018