Netherrack is found extensively in the Nether, and it is among the few blocks that are found in the Nether. Fire burns infinitely on netherrack.
Due to fire lasting forever on netherrack, players sometimes use netherrack to build fireplaces or large torches. However, it is also capable of spreading fire to flammable blocks, but not to other netherrack. Netherrack can also be smelted in furnaces to make Nether Bricks, which are used to craft nether brick blocks. If netherrack is on fire, it won't be put out by rain but will be put out if water runs over the area.
- Burning netherrack can be used to keep an area clear of snow and ice more efficiently than torches due to it having a greater brightness, but it is not advisable to do this around wood, as it is a flammable block.
- Prior to Pocket Edition 0.12.1, netherrack could only be obtained using a Nether Reactor Core.
- In the PS3 and PS4 edition tutorial world, a Nether portal, included to teach a player about the Nether, leads to a cavern exclusively of netherrack with some being on fire when a player arrives.
- Netherrack is one of the most brittle blocks in Minecraft; thus, caution is advised when digging in any direction.
- In older versions, netherrack was named "bloodstone".