|Catches fire from lava||
Nether gold ore generates in the Nether in the form of blobs. Nether gold ore attempts to replace netherrack 10 times per chunk in blobs of size 0–16, from levels 10 to 117, in all Nether biomes except basalt deltas. In basalt deltas, Nether gold ore attempts to generate 20 times per chunk as there are fewer valid generation areas.
Nether gold ore requires a pickaxe to be mined.
|Block||Nether Gold Ore|
- Times are for unenchanted tools as wielded by players with no status effects, measured in seconds. For more information, see Breaking § Speed.
Nether gold ore drops 2-6 gold nuggets when mined with any pickaxe. Fortune has a 33.3% chance to multiply the drops by 2, Fortune II has a 25% chance to multiply the drops by 2 or 3 and Fortune III has a 20% chance each to multiply the drops by 2, 3, or 4 for a maximum possible drop of 24 golden nuggets. The average number of nuggets from Fortune III is 8.8, which is less than an ingot; therefore it is slightly more efficient to mine Nether gold ore with Silk Touch and smelt it into gold ingots.
|Average||4||5 1⁄3||7||8 4⁄5|
Piglins become hostile toward players that mine the ore, regardless if the player is wearing gold armor or is under the Invisibility effect. The same case applies if the player mines gold of any type, not just the ore. If any Nether gold ore is dropped and in its item form, piglins will run towards any Nether gold ore and examine it for 6 to 8 seconds after picking it up.
|Gold Ingot||Nether Gold Ore +
Nether gold ore can be placed under note blocks to produce "bass drum" sound.
|Sound||Subtitles||Source||Description||Resource location||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Block broken||Blocks||Once the block has broken||1.0||?||16|
|None[sound 1]||Blocks||Falling on the block with fall damage||None[sound 1]||0.5||?||16|
|Block breaking||Blocks||While the block is in the process of being broken||0.25||?||16|
|Block placed||Blocks||When the block is placed||1.0||?||16|
|Footsteps||Blocks||Walking on the block||0.15||?||16|
|Name||Identifier||Form||Block tags||Item tags||Translation key|
|Nether Gold Ore||Block & Item|
|Name||Identifier||Numeric ID||Form||Item ID[i 1]||Translation key|
|Nether Gold Ore||Block & Giveable Item[i 2]||Identical[i 3]|
- ID of block's direct item form, which is used in savegame files and addons.
- Available with
- The block's direct item form has the same id with the block.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Gamerscore earned||Trophy type (PS4)|
|Oooh, shiny!||Distract a Piglin using gold||Give a piglin a gold item while it is aggressive toward the player.||30G||Silver|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Resource location|
|Oh Shiny||Distract Piglins with gold||Nether||Give a piglin one of these 24 gold-related items in the |
|February 14, 2020||HelenAngel says there will not be gold ore in the Nether.|
|February 28, 2020||HelenAngel says to upvote gold ore in the Nether on the Feedback site. She also states it's getting a lot of attention on there, so she has passed it off to the team.|
|1.16||20w11a||Added Nether gold ore.|
|Like regular gold ore, Nether gold ore drops itself and can be mined only with an iron pickaxe or better.|
|March 11, 2020||A new texture for nether gold ore is shown.|
|20w12a||Nether gold ore now drops gold nuggets instead of itself.|
|Nether gold ore can now be mined with any pickaxe.|
|20w13a||The texture of Nether gold ore has been changed.|
|Nether gold ore now drops experience.|
|20w17a||Nether gold ore now uses the same sounds as Nether quartz ore, but via a different sound event.|
|Pre-release 1||Nether gold ore now uses the "Nether" color on maps.|
|1.17||21w14a||Nether gold ore can no longer be smelted.|
|21w15a||Nether gold ore can now be smelted.|
|1.16.0||beta 220.127.116.11||Added Nether gold ore.|
- In 2017, Jeb showed interest in a suggestion regarding Nether gold ore that was posted on Reddit.
- This comment also suggested that nearby zombie pigmen, the mob now currently known as zombified piglins, should become angry at the player when they mine Nether gold ore. Jeb also showed interest in this aspect of the suggestion, and this may have been the inspiration for piglins becoming angry when gold of any type is mined near them.
- "I like this suggestion. I would even go further and make the gold ore blocks appear in larger areas (as veins), and not speckled everywhere in the Nether. I agree on the aggro'ing of Pigman Zombies, it makes it more interesting." – u/jeb_ on Reddit, March 2, 2017