|Catches fire from lava||
- Times are for unenchanted tools as wielded by players with no status effects, measured in seconds. For more information, see Breaking § Speed.
Endermen can pick up mycelium blocks, and drop the block they are holding if killed.
A mycelium block can spread to any dirt block within one space above, one sideways, or three down. The mycelium needs light level 9+ above it and the dirt needs light level 4+ above it, and must not be covered by any light-impeding block or any opaque block. Mycelium reverts to dirt when covered by one of the light-impeding blocks above and the light level at that block is below 4. The death and spread behavior is checked when a random tick lands on the block.
If there is a plant on a dirt block when mycelium spreads to it, the plant pops out and drops as an item.
Effect on plants
- Mushrooms and fungus can remain on mycelium blocks in any light level, unlike the situation on other blocks, where mushrooms are broken (dropping as items) during block updates in high light.
- Huge mushrooms can grow on mycelium, just as they can grow on dirt, grass, or podzol.
- Mycelium cannot be tilled with a hoe to make farmland. Saplings, flowers, grass, shrubs, ferns and sugar cane cannot be planted on it, and pumpkins and melons do not grow on it.
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Block broken||Blocks||Once the block has broken||1.0||0.8||16|
|None[sound 1]||Blocks||Falling on the block with fall damage||None[sound 1]||0.5||0.75||16|
|Block breaking||Blocks||While the block is in the process of being broken||0.25||0.5||16|
|Block placed||Blocks||When the block is placed||1.0||0.8||16|
|Footsteps||Blocks||Walking on the block||0.15||1.0||16|
|?||Blocks||Once the block has broken||0.7||0.8|
|?||Blocks||Falling on the block with fall damage||0.4||1.0|
|?||Blocks||While the block is in the process of being broken||0.3||0.5|
|?||Blocks||Jumping from the block||0.11||1.0|
|?||Blocks||Falling on the block without fall damage||0.21||1.0|
|?||Blocks||Walking on the block||0.3||1.0|
|?||Blocks||When the block is placed||0.8||0.8|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Block tags (JE)||Form||Translation key|
|Mycelium||Block & Item|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Form||Translation key|
|Mycelium||Block & Item|
|Name||Default value||Allowed values||Description|
|snowy||If true, the block uses a snowy side and top texture.|
In-game, this is true when a snow block or snow is on top.
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease||Added mycelium.|
|Beta 1.9 Prerelease 5||Mycelium now appears in the creative mode inventory.|
|1.2.4||release||Mycelium is now the only block that mushrooms can be planted and spawned on while in direct contact with sunlight.|
|1.8||14w11b||Mycelium with numerical metadata variants 1 through 15, which are inaccessible through normal gameplay, now have a missing texture rather than appearing identical to mycelium.|
|14w26a||Block metadata has been completely removed from this snapshot onwards with the introduction of block states. As this block never used block metadata at all prior to this version, fifteen unused, inaccessible metadata variants of it have been completely removed from the game:
|1.9||15w31a||Mycelium can now be obtained by killing an enderman that is holding the block.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 110.|
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of mycelium has now been changed.|
|19w12a||Mycelium now has random orientations when placed, similar to grass blocks.|
|1.16.2||20w27a||Crimson and warped fungi can now be placed on mycelium.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|1.17||20w45a||A shovel can now be used on mycelium to create a dirt path block.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|v0.9.0||build 1||Added mycelium.|
|v0.9.2||Mycelium now spreads correctly.|
|v0.12.1||build 1||Mycelium can now be obtained using the Silk Touch enchantment.|
|v0.14.0||build 1||Mycelium can now be obtained by killing an enderman that is holding the block.|
|1.10.0||beta 184.108.40.206||The texture of mycelium has now been changed.|
|1.16.200||beta 220.127.116.11||A shovel can now be used on mycelium to create a dirt path block.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU7||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||?||Added mycelium.|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
|1.90||The texture of mycelium has now been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- It is a common misconception that only mooshrooms can spawn on mycelium. This is not true; it is the biome itself that prevents other mobs from spawning. Friendly and hostile mobs can spawn on mycelium in any other biome just like they do on any other block. Similarly, mycelium outside of mushroom fields does not spawn mooshrooms.
- In real life, mycelium is the part of a fungus that gathers nutrients, comprised of web-like threads known as hyphae. Mycelium can be considered the roots of a fungus, whereas the mushrooms can be considered the fruits.
Mycelium as shown with snow on top. The mycelium still produces spores.