|Catches fire from lava||
- Times are for unenchanted tools as wielded by players with no status effects, measured in seconds. For more information, see Breaking § Speed.
Endermen can pick up mycelium blocks, and drop the block they are holding if killed.
A mycelium block can spread to any dirt block within one space above, one sideways, or three down. The mycelium needs light level 9+ above it, while the dirt needs light level 4+ above it, and must not be covered by any light-impeding block or any opaque block. Mycelium reverts to dirt when covered by one of the light-impeding blocks above and the light level at that block is below 4. The death and spread behaviors are checked when a random tick lands on the block.
If there is a plant on a dirt block when mycelium spreads to it, the plant pops out and drops as an item.
Effect on plants
- Mushrooms and fungus can remain on mycelium blocks in any light level, unlike the situation on other blocks, where mushrooms are broken (dropping as items) during block updates in high light.
- Huge mushrooms can grow on mycelium, just as they can grow on dirt, grass, or podzol.
- Mycelium cannot be tilled with a hoe to make farmland.
- However, it can first be converted to dirt path using a shovel, then tilled with a hoe to create farmland.
- In Bedrock Edition, pumpkins and melons do not grow on it.
|Sound||Subtitles||Source||Description||Resource location||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Block broken||Blocks||Once the block has broken||1.0||0.8||16|
|None[sound 1]||Blocks||Falling on the block with fall damage||None[sound 1]||0.5||0.75||16|
|Block breaking||Blocks||While the block is in the process of being broken||0.25||0.5||16|
|Block placed||Blocks||When the block is placed||1.0||0.8||16|
|Footsteps||Blocks||Walking on the block||0.15||1.0||16|
|?||Blocks||Once the block has broken||0.7||0.8|
|?||Blocks||Falling on the block with fall damage||0.4||1.0|
|?||Blocks||While the block is in the process of being broken||0.3||0.5|
|?||Blocks||Jumping from the block||0.11||1.0|
|?||Blocks||Falling on the block without fall damage||0.21||1.0|
|?||Blocks||Walking on the block||0.3||1.0|
|?||Blocks||When the block is placed||0.8||0.8|
|Name||Identifier||Form||Block tags||Translation key|
|Mycelium||Block & Item|
|Name||Identifier||Numeric ID||Form||Item ID[i 1]||Translation key|
|Mycelium||Block & Giveable Item[i 2]||Identical[i 3]|
- ID of block's direct item form, which is used in savegame files and addons.
- Available with
- The block's direct item form has the same id with the block.
|Name||Default value||Allowed values||Description|
|snowy||If true, the block uses a snowy side and top texture.|
In-game, this is true when a snow block or snow is on top.
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease||Added mycelium.|
|Beta 1.9 Prerelease 5||Mycelium now appears in the Creative mode inventory.|
|1.2.4||release||Mycelium is now the only block that mushrooms can be planted and spawned on while in direct contact with sunlight.|
|1.8||14w11b||Mycelium with numerical metadata variants 1 through 15, which are inaccessible through normal gameplay, now have no model rather than appearing identical to mycelium.|
|14w26a||Block metadata has been completely removed from this snapshot onward with the introduction of block states. As this block never used block metadata at all prior to this version, fifteen unused, inaccessible metadata variants of it have been completely removed from the game:
|1.9||15w31a||Mycelium can now be obtained by killing an enderman that is holding the block.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 110.|
|1.14||18w43a||The textures of mycelium has been changed.|
|19w12a||Mycelium now has random orientations when placed, similar to grass blocks.|
|1.16.2||20w27a||Crimson and warped fungi can now be placed on mycelium.|
|1.17||20w45a||A shovel can now be used on mycelium to create a dirt path block.|
|21w16a||Mycelium is now in the |
|Grass, tall grass, ferns, tall ferns, sweet berry bushes, saplings, flowers, azaleas, sugar cane, dead bushes, and bamboo can now be placed on mycelium.|
|Pumpkins and melons can now grow onto mycelium.|
|1.18||21w39a||The default brightness has been changed from "Moody" to 50.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|1.19||22w11a||The side texture of mycelium has been changed.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|v0.9.0||build 1||Added mycelium.|
|v0.9.2||Mycelium now spreads correctly.|
|v0.12.1||build 1||Mycelium can now be obtained using the Silk Touch enchantment.|
|v0.14.0||build 1||Mycelium can now be obtained by killing an enderman that is holding the block.|
|1.10.0||beta 126.96.36.199||The texture of mycelium has been changed.|
|1.16.200||beta 188.8.131.52||A shovel can now be used on mycelium to create a dirt path block.|
|1.18.0||beta 184.108.40.206||Grass, tall grass, ferns, tall ferns, sweet berry bushes, saplings, flowers, azaleas, sugar cane, dead bushes, and bamboo can now be placed on mycelium.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.19.0||beta 220.127.116.11||The side texture of mycelium has been changed.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU7||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||1.0.1||Added mycelium.|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
|1.90||The texture of mycelium has been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- It is a common misconception that only mooshrooms can spawn on mycelium. This is not true; it is the mushroom island biome itself that prevents other mobs from spawning there. Friendly and hostile mobs can spawn on mycelium in other biomes just like they do on any other block. Also, mycelium outside of mushroom fields does not spawn mooshrooms.
- In real life, mycelium is the part of a fungus that gathers nutrients, comprised of web-like threads known as hyphae. Mycelium can be considered the roots of a fungus, whereas the mushrooms can be considered the fruits.
Mycelium as shown with snow on top. The mycelium still produces spores.
- – Mycelium and podzol cannot be tilled with hoes
- – "Mycelium's side texture differs from other dirt-based blocks" – resolved as "Fixed"
- – "Some blocks cannot be placed on Mycelium" – resolved as "Fixed"