Music Discs, also referred to as Records, are items which can be inserted into a jukebox to change the in-game music within the immediate area.
Music discs were added back in the Alpha development of Minecraft. In Beta 1.8, more music discs were added. They can be inserted into a jukebox to play special tracks. When inserted into a jukebox, the music for all players within the immediate area will change to that of the disc. The music gradually fades as a player moves farther away from the jukebox. At a distance of about 75 blocks from a jukebox, music can no longer be heard.
Two different discs can be found randomly in naturally spawned chests in dungeons; other music discs are obtained by having a skeleton kill a creeper. Also, all music discs can be found in chests located in the tutorial world of the PS3 Edition and the Xbox 360 Edition, accompanied by pieces of enchanted iron armor, a jukebox, an enchanted Bow and some Arrows in some of the various chests. Another way to obtain music disks is to craft them. If you put 8 obsidian around the corresponding dye, you get that music disk. Mash-up pack worlds also have music hidden throughout the world.
List of Music Discs and Data Values
|Music Disc||Dec||Hex||Technical Name|
- It is possible to replace the data of Cat and 13 with custom music.
- The song "Where are we now" file still exists in the Minecraft folder. The reason it didn't make it was because of the spaces used in the title. However, it has been released on the Xbox edition of Minecraft, and has been released in Minecraft 1.4.4 under the name "Wait." It appears as a blue disk.
- The music disc "Ward" is actually music from the game "Fez".
- When ran through a spectrogram, music disc 11 produces some pictures at the end. It shows the face of the default player skin (some say it is the face of Herobrine), and the numbers 1, 2, 4, 1, and 8.
- The hexadecimal of the first two numbers, 1 and 2, is C. So if 12 is C, then the group of numbers is the signature of the music composer for Minecraft, C418.
- It is unknown why Disc 11's texture is a broken disc.
- All music discs are included in the Minecraft - Volume Beta soundtrack, except for 11 , 13, and Cat.