Mooshrooms resemble ordinary cows in size and shape. A mooshroom can be either red with white spots (with red mushrooms on its back and head), or brown with beige spots (with brown mushrooms on its back and head). Mooshrooms' eyes are completely black, unlike regular cows.
Mooshrooms will only spawn on mushroom island biomes, making them one of the rarest mobs in Minecraft. A brown mooshroom spawns whenever a red mooshroom is struck by lightning. They also have a 1-in-1024 chance to spawn when breeding two red mooshrooms.
When a player shears a mooshroom, it will drop five red mushrooms and the mooshroom will transform into a regular cow. There is also a rare chance that it will split into two cows when sheared. A bowl can be used on a mooshroom to gather mushroom stew. If a player feeds a brown mooshroom a flower, and then uses a bowl, they can gather suspicious stew, which gives status effects depending on the flower given to the mooshroom. Mooshrooms may, therefore, be used as an infinite/renewable food source.
Like regular cows, mooshrooms will follow players holding wheat. If two mooshrooms close to each other are fed wheat, they will breed to make a baby mooshroom. Baby mooshrooms do not have mushrooms on their backs, and can be fed wheat to grow more quickly.
- When a mooshroom is sheared, a ring of smoke forms around it for 0.8 seconds.
- The mooshroom is the only breedable mob excluded from the tutorial world in the PS3 edition.
- Shearing a mooshroom that is being followed by a baby mooshroom will cause the baby to follow another mooshroom.
- Mooshrooms have more drops than any other animal mob.
- If you feed a brown mooshroom a flower before milking it, then it will drop suspicious stew.