A full day/night cycle in Minecraft is about 20 minutes, and the moon is out for about 7 minutes. The Clock can be used to show the sun and the moon's positions. The movement of the moon in Minecraft is similar to the earth's day/night cycle, and it is about the same size. Like Earth's moon, it follows a cycle of 8 phases:
- New Moon
- Waxing Crescent
- First Quarter
- Waxing Gibbous
- Full Moon
- Waning Gibbous
- Third Quarter
- Waning Crescent
- The phase of the moon affects:
- Slime spawning and size.
- Mobs spawning with armor and weapons.
- Mob armor/weapons being enchanted.
- Zombies breaking down doors, their follow range, max HP, and spawning other zombies for help.
- The chance for mobs to pick up dropped items.
- Spiders having status effects.
- Lightning spawning a Skeleton Trap Horse.
- As Minecraft consists of blocks, the moon is square, as is the sun.
- The Minecraft moon's phases change each day, as opposed to Earth's moon, which changes every 3–4 days.