The following is a list of versions that are not included in the Java Edition launcher. If a version is labeled as edited, it means that the META-INF files in the jar are dated differently from the release date. This is because when these versions were added (in 2013), the META-INF had to be renewed. Versions labeled as edited are currently in the launcher; if a version is listed but not labeled as edited, it is not available in the launcher.
- 1 Pre-Classic
- 2 Classic
- 3 Indev
- 4 Infdev
- 5 Alpha
- 6 Beta
- 7 Release
- 8 Server
- 9 Launcher
All pre-Classic versions:
- Cave game tech test
- The original rd-132211 (the launcher version is edited).
- The original rd-132328 (the launcher version is edited).
- The original rd-20090515 (the launcher version is edited).
- The original rd-160052 (the launcher version is edited).
- The original rd-161348 (the launcher version is edited).
- The original 0.0.11a (the launcher version is edited).
- The original 0.0.13a (the launcher version is edited).
- The original 0.0.13a_03 (the launcher version is edited).
- 0.0.15a (Multiplayer Test 1)
- 0.0.15a (Multiplayer Test 2)
- 0.0.15a (Multiplayer Test 3)
- 0.0.15a (Multiplayer Test 4)
- 0.0.15a (Multiplayer Test 5)
- 0.0.15a (Multiplayer Test 6)
- 0.0.15a (Multiplayer Test 7)
- 0.0.15a (Multiplayer Test 8)
- 0.25 SURVIVAL TEST
- 0.25_01 SURVIVAL TEST
- 0.25_02 SURVIVAL TEST
- 0.25_03 SURVIVAL TEST
- 0.25_05 SURVIVAL TEST
- 0.26 SURVIVAL TEST
- 0.27 SURVIVAL TEST
- 0.30 (Survival)
- The original 0.30 (Creative) (launcher version is edited, and incorrectly labeled as "0.30_01c").
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20091223-1
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20091223-2
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20091231-1
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20091231-2
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20100104
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20100106
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20100107
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20100109
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20100111-2
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20100113
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20100114
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20100124
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20100125-1
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20100125-2
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20100128
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20100129
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20100130
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20100131
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20100201-1
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20100201-2
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20100201-3
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20100203
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20100204-1
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20100204-2
- Java Edition Indev 0.31 20100205
- Java Edition Indev 20100206
- Java Edition Indev 20100207-1
- Java Edition Indev 20100207-2
- Java Edition Indev 20100211
- Java Edition Indev 20100212-1
- Java Edition Indev 20100212-2
- Java Edition Indev 20100214-1
- Java Edition Indev 20100214-2
- Java Edition Indev 20100218
- Java Edition Indev 20100219
- Java Edition Indev 20100223
- Java Edition Infdev 20100227-1
- Java Edition Infdev 20100227-2
- Java Edition Infdev 20100313
- Java Edition Infdev 20100316
- Java Edition Infdev 20100320
- Java Edition Infdev 20100321
- Java Edition Infdev 20100325
- Java Edition Infdev 20100327
- Java Edition Infdev 20100330
- Java Edition Infdev 20100413
- Java Edition Infdev 20100414
- Java Edition Infdev 20100415
- Java Edition Infdev 20100420
- Java Edition Infdev 20100607
- Java Edition Infdev 20100608
- Java Edition Infdev 20100611
- Java Edition Infdev 20100615
- Java Edition Infdev 20100616-1
- Java Edition Infdev 20100616-2
- Java Edition Infdev 20100617-1
- Java Edition Infdev 20100617-2
- Java Edition Infdev 20100624
- Java Edition Infdev 20100625-1
- Java Edition Infdev 20100625-2
- Java Edition Infdev 20100627
- Java Edition Infdev 20100629
- Java Edition Infdev 20100630
Note: The launcher version could be edited so the original version may not be available.
- Alpha v1.0.0 (Known as "Minecraft Infdev" in-game).
- Alpha v1.0.1 (Seecret Friday Update 3).
- Alpha v1.0.1_01
- Alpha v1.0.2
- Alpha v1.0.2_01
- Alpha v1.0.2_02
- Alpha v1.0.3
- The original Alpha v1.0.4 (Seecret Friday Update 4) (the launcher version is edited).
- Alpha v1.0.5
- Alpha v1.0.6 (Seecret Friday Update 5).
- Alpha v1.0.6_01
- Alpha v1.0.6_02
- Alpha v1.0.6_03
- Alpha v1.0.7
- Alpha v1.0.8
- Alpha v1.0.8_01
- Alpha v1.0.9
- Alpha v1.0.10
- Alpha v1.0.12
- Alpha v1.0.13
- Alpha v1.0.13_01 (Neither the regular or "1K IN 24h" version is in the launcher).
- The original Alpha v1.0.14 (Seecret Friday Update 7) (the reuploaded version is available in the launcher) (the launcher version is edited).
- Alpha v1.0.16_01
- Alpha v1.0.16_02
- Alpha v1.0.17 (Seecret Friday Update 8).
- Alpha v1.0.17_01
- Alpha v1.0.17_03
- The original Alpha v1.1.0 (Seecret Friday Update 9) (the reuploaded version is not available, and the pre-reuploaded version in the launcher is recompiled differently and has a completely different checksum than the original version).
- Alpha v1.1.1 (Seecret Saturday Update 1)
- The original Alpha v1.2.0 (the launcher does not download Alpha v1.2.0 when this version is selected, but instead downloads Alpha v1.2.0_02).
- Alpha v1.2.0-preview (only given to PCGamer and Indigames magazines as a preview for the final release)
- The original Alpha v1.2.1 (the launcher does not download Alpha v1.2.1 when this version is selected, but instead downloads Alpha v1.2.1_01)
- Alpha v1.2.3_05
- The original Beta 1.4 (with debugging code)
- Beta 1.9 Prerelease
- Beta 1.9 Prerelease 2
- Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3 (neither the pre-reuploaded nor the reuploaded version is available in the launcher).
- Beta 1.9 Prerelease 4 (neither the pre-reuploaded nor the reuploaded version is available in the launcher).
- Beta 1.9 Prerelease 5
- Beta 1.9 Prerelease 6
- 1.0 Release Candidate 1
- 1.0 Release Candidate 2 (neither the pre-reuploaded, reuploaded nor the re-reuploaded version is available in the launcher).
- 1.5.2 (the reuploaded version is in the launcher.)
- 1.6.2 pre-release (neither the pre-reuploaded, reuploaded nor the re-reuploaded versions are available in the launcher)
- 1.6.2 (the reuploaded version is in the launcher.)
- 1.6.3 (the reuploaded version is in the launcher.)
- 13w41b (the reuploaded version is in the launcher.)
- 1.8.8 pre-release (identical to the full release of 1.8.8.)
- 16w50a (the pre-reuploaded version displays "snapshot 1.11.1".)
- 1.14.2 Pre-Release 4 (the reuploaded version is in the launcher.)
All Combat Test versions:
- 1.14.3 - Combat Test
- Combat Test 2
- Combat Test 3
- Combat Test 4
- Combat Test 5
- Combat Test 6
- Combat Test 7c
- Combat Test 8b
- Combat Test 8c
- 2.0 (all 3 versions of 2.0 are not available in the launcher.)
Even though the newest Java Edition launcher includes an option to download a version's cross-platform server .jar file (whether it be for release or a development version), this does not apply to all versions. The official Minecraft server program started to be developed when Multiplayer Test was released to the public (0.0.15a (Multiplayer Test 1)). After Classic 0.30 (Creative) was released, servers were removed from the game, which is why multiplayer is not available in Indev and Infdev versions of the game. Servers were reintroduced to the game when Alpha v1.0.15 was released (however, versions as early as Alpha v1.0.5 had multiplayer code in them, though it was unusable, except to Notch, who used the code to test multiplayer), and they have been consistently updated since. There are programs available that allow connection to Classic, Alpha, and Beta servers.
The oldest server version that the launcher will allow the player to download is from release 1.2.5.
The Minecraft launcher was released during Alpha v1.0's development. This launcher could not update itself, and each time a new update was released for the launcher, a player would have to download it from minecraft.net. This launcher was developed from 2010 to 2013, and is still available to be downloaded from archived versions of its page. It is not known how many versions of this launcher existed.
During the 1.6.1 snapshots, a new launcher was released. This launcher was built to update itself, and the player could now have the launcher window and the game window open at the same time. The player could also switch what version they were playing without having to replace minecraft.jar in the bin directory. This launcher was developed from 2013 to 2018, whether or not it can still be downloaded is not known. The latest version is 1.6.91.
The latest Minecraft launcher was made available to the public by Dinnerbone on October 26, 2016, through a twitter statement and a post on the Minecraft subreddit. This launcher no longer required java to be installed to run it, downloaded its own runtime for the game, and had more advanced features compared to other versions of the launcher. This launcher has been under steady development since 2016, and the current stable release of this launcher is for Windows, 2.2.3557 for Mac OS, and for Linux.