Minecraft Live 2020 was a live event held on October 3, 2020, from 16:00 UTC. Originally, it was planned that Minecraft Festival, a real-world event similar to the original MINECON events, would occur; however, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Minecraft Festival was pushed back to 2022. The live event streamed on YouTube, Twitch, Facebook, and Minecraft.net.
There was a 20-minute Community Pre-Show right before the main event which consisted of content creators expressing about Minecraft.
Like MINECON Live 2019, there was an announcement relating to the next major update, similarly to how the Nether Update was announced at MINECON Live 2019, with other major updates in the years before. Unlike the last years though, the announcement was held at the beginning of the show. The update that was announced was Caves & Cliffs.
Mobs from Minecraft Dungeons and Minecraft Earth were voted on to be added to Minecraft. For the second time, watchers were able to vote for a new mob to be added into the game in a future update. The first time this happened was in MINECON Earth 2017.
Each mob received its own video justifying its inclusion.
- Mooblooms would spawn in Flower Forests and would interact with bees in some way.Buttercups would also be added.
- Iceologers would spawn in Mountains and hurl ice clouds at the player.
- Glow Squids would spawn in the Ocean in dark areas, illuminating them. Their texture would glow like an Enderman's eyes, but not actually emit light.
Failing mobs are less likely to be added to the game, but they still do have a chance to be implemented.
Voting took place in two rounds. The losing mob, the Moobloom, was eliminated from consideration in the second round. The winner of the the second and final round was the Glow Squid.
Minecraft Live: Vote for the Next New Mob!
Videos can be found here.
- "Announcing Minecraft Live!" by Sofia Dankis. Minecraft.net, September 3, 2020
- "Minecraft Live: Vote For The Next Mob" by Sofia Dankis. Minecraft.net, September 27, 2020
- "Yellow as sunshine, covered in buttercups and friends with bees; voting for the Moobloom will make the Flower Forest Biome even more flowery!" – @Minecraft on Twitter, September 28, 2020
- "In the mob vote this year, the squide you vo...I mean, the moo you vote fo...I mean the MOB you vote for - is going to be added. But what about the other two? The other two will go back to the ideas pile. They might come in the future, they might never happen. Choose wisely!" – @_Ulraf_ on Twitter, October 1, 2020
- "The Mob Vote is open! You have 20 minutes to pick your favourite: Moobloom, Iceologer or Glow Squid! Vote now!" – @Minecraft on Twitter, October 3, 2020
- "Moobloom is out! We’re so sorry bees, no new friend for you. It’s now a two-mob race between Iceologer and Glow Squid – and the final round of voting is open… Now!" – @Minecraft on Twitter, October 3, 2020