Ancient hunts are "end-game" missions in Minecraft Dungeons that act as source of gilded gear and gold at the cost of permanently sacrificing equipment to enter. Players are given three revives and are able to leave and return to the hunt three times at any point.
Upon completion, the end of mission chest always provides 10 gold.
- 1 Accessing & configuring
- 2 Locations
- 3 Mobs
- 4 Sounds
- 5 History
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Gallery
- 8 See also
- 9 References
Accessing & configuring
Accessible after a single mission at Default V or greater is completed, a Nether portal located in the Nether Cave at the camp serves as the physical point of interaction for ancient hunts, adjacent to the piglin merchant. Hunts can also be accessed from the "Other Dimensions" tab of the "Mission Selection" map.
Ancient hunts transport the hero through 3 randomly selected travelling locations per hunt, connected by Nether portals that weave the hero's hunt between the Overworld and the Nether. These locations are:
Nether dimension locations
Ancient Hunt exclusive locations
Mainland locations feature hunt exclusive tiles that do not appear in regular missions. These tiles provide further points for unique procedural generation and the appearance of hunt doors.
Hunt doors are dark framed, blue glowing passages that transport the player to a hunt exclusive area. These areas could be a gold room or an arena themed around the ancient mob that resides there, containing an intractable button or lever that summons the ancient and its enchanted minions.
The number of hunt doors generated is dependent upon the dungeon seed. All hunt doors initially direct to gold rooms that are then replaced by ancient mob arenas with respect to the ancients on average value.
Hollow rectangular, a south-eastern facing areas explored in an anti-clockwise direction that always consist of, mobs, gold containing chests, a supplies chest, and an extendable bridge. These rooms can generate with fancy chests, obsidian chests, and intractable beacons or levers that summon a multi-part ambush that may be populated with a ghast mini-boss.
All mobs, including DLC exclusive mobs, can appear during ancient hunts even if they do not fit the theme of their environment. For example, mooshrooms, blazes, and royal guards can appear together in a Desert Temple portion of the hunt. Mini bosses such as the Evoker, illusioner, Enderman, skeleton horseman and Ghast can also make appearances during the hunts. The woodland mansion has charged creepers as an exclusive mob.
Ancient mobs are powerful boss-like variants of enchanted mobs with enchanted minions, their own title name, and a themed arena accessed through hunt doors. These mobs and their minions can possess enchantments that would otherwise be player-exclusive, such as Shockwave, and some ancient exclusive enchantments such as Mob Resurrection Aura and Huge.
Ancients and their minions can obliterate unprepared heroes, forcing considerations of different tactics to prevail against the ancient. Upon the ancient's defeat, a gilded item of any rarity is dropped as a reward.
- Abominable Weaver (Ancient Spider) (Spider Cave themed)
- Abyssal Eye (Ancient Guardian) - Requires Hidden Depths (Abyssal Monument themed)
- Ancient Terror (Ancient Wraith) (Underhalls themed)
- Barrage (Ancient Armored Skeleton) (Highblock Halls exterior themed)
- Cursed Presence (Ancient Skeleton Vanguard) (Desert Temple themed)
- First Enchanter (Ancient Enchanter) (Arch Haven themed)
- Frostwarden (Ancient Geomancer) - Requires Creeping Winter (Frosted Fjord themed)
- Grim Guardian (Ancient Zombie) (Creepy Crypt themed)
- Haunted Caller (Ancient Necromancer) (Creepy Crypt themed)
- ????? (Ancient Mooshroom) (??? themed)
- Oozing Menace (Ancient Small Slime) (Soggy Swamp themed)
- Pestilent Conjurer (Ancient Witch) (Cacti Canyon themed)
- Solemn Giant (Ancient Pillager) (Obsidian Pinnacle themed)
- Scuttling Torment (Ancient Silverfish) - Requires Echoing Void (The Stronghold themed)
- The Swarm (Ancient Snareling) - Requires Echoing Void (Broken Citadel themed)
- The Seeking Flame (Ancient Vex) (Desert Temple themed)
- The Tiny Scourge (Ancient Baby Zombie) (Pumpkin Pastures themed)
- The Tower (Ancient Chicken Jockey Tower) (Creeper Woods themed)
- The Unending (Ancient Blaze Spawner - Requires Flames of the Nether (Nether Fortress themed)
- Thundering Growth (Ancient Leapleaf) - Requires Jungle Awakens (Dingy Jungle themed)
- Unbreakable One (Ancient Redstone Golem) (Redstone Mines themed)
- Unstoppable Tusk (Ancient Hoglin - Requires Flames of the Nether (Nether Wastes themed)
- Vengeful Mariner (Ancient Drowned) - Requires Hidden Depths (Abyssal Monument themed)
- Vigilant Scoundrel (Ancient Royal Guard) (Highblock Halls interior themed)
- Watcher of The End (Ancient Watchling) - Requires Echoing Void (End Wilds themed)
- Windbeard (Ancient Goat) - Requires Howling Peaks (Windswept Peaks themed)
This section of the page describes Minecraft Dungeons achievements that involve the ancient hunts.
|Ancient Hunter||A Piglin's Best Friend||Back to Back|
|Gold Room Main|
|Spider Cave Arena|
|Spider Cave Arena End|
|Spider Cave Main|
|Woodland Mansion Arena|
|Woodland Mansion Arena End|
|Woodland Mansion Intro|
|Woodland Mansion Roof|
|Woodland Mansion Boss End|
|Woodland Mansion Ground Floor|
|Woodland Mansion Main|
|Woodland Mansion Prison|
|Ancient Mob Alarm|
|Ancient Mob Generic Pre|
|Ancient Mob Generic Loop|
|Ancient Mob Generic Post|
|Gilded Gear Common Drop|
|Gilded Gear Common Loop|
|Gilded Gear Unique Drop|
|Gilded Gear Unique Loop|
|February 12, 2021||Ancient hunts are mentioned and explained of their potential functionality.|
|February 19, 2021||Footage of an ancient hunt reveals the new ancient mobs and the offering UI, and the tweet revealing that ancient hunts are an end game feature.|
|February 20, 2021||Footage of another ancient hunt which reveals gilded gear and their appearance in the inventory.|
|184.108.40.206||Added ancient hunts.|
|220.127.116.11||Added sound effects for ancients on the offering UI.|
|Changed gold room generation. Previously consisted of a single long narrow corridor, stretching in a south-eastern direction containing only mobs and gold chests.|
|Changed gold room ambient music and sound effects. |
|Changed Spider Cave ambush and "Destroy the Spawns" objectives to occur upon entering the tile instead of upon contacting the web gate.|
|Changed Spider Cave web gate to not show the purple gate glow.|
|Changed unbreakable one rune requirements: -> .|
|Changed ancient hunt text to clarify spending enchantment points and level.|
|Fixed gilded gear dropping in inaccessible locations during ancient hunts.|
|Fixed Multiple ancient mobs spawning during ancient hunts. |
|Fixed gold reward displaying full inventory prompt when inventory is full. |
|Fixed gold room bridge opens properly for both host and clients.|
|Fixed text overlapping buttons on ancient hunt menus for several languages.|
|Fixed incorrect button colors for the prompt that appears when cancelling an ancient hunt.|
|Fixed Nintendo Switch crash upon entering ancient hunt.|
|18.104.22.168||Added abyssal eye, vengeful mariner, scuttling torment, watcher of the end and the swarm ancient mobs.|
- Due to Creeper Woods. This, however, is partially true, woodland mansion is connected to Creeper Woods internally but with no method to access it. Spider Cave shares a similar relationship with Soggy Cave without the visual bug. , it was initially thought that the woodland mansion theme in ancient hunts was sourced from a new secret location obtained in
- The Nether portal in Minecraft Dungeons does not necessary transport the player from the Overworld to the Nether and vice versa like in Minecraft, the portal can transport from one Overworld location to another Overworld location and the same applies with Nether locations. It is possible for a hunt to only consist of Nether locations or Overworld locations.
- The "Ancient Hunt Deep Dive" article on minecraft.net displayed an image presenting unused pink squares in addition to the existing purple and grey squares to represent equipment enchantment slots.