Wii U: 1.0.1
Windows XP+: 3.62 GB[note 1][note 2]
|— Kevin Bruner, CEO of Telltale Games|
Minecraft: Story Mode is an episodic point-and-click narrative-driven graphic adventure video game based on the sandbox video game Minecraft, released in October 2015 across multiple platforms with a Windows 10 release on December 16, 2015, a Wii U release on January 21, 2016, an Apple TV release on August 24, 2016, and a Nintendo Switch release on August 22, 2017. The game was developed by Mojang Studios, the developer of Minecraft, in collaboration with Telltale Games.
In June 2018, Netflix and Telltale signed a partnership agreement, and the first season of the game Minecraft: Story Mode was announced to be released on Netflix on November 7, 2018. Due to unknown reasons, the release date was pushed to November 27. That day, the first three episodes of the series were released and the last two episodes were released on December 5th.
Music for the game was composed by Anadel, an atmospheric folk band based in California. The game follows the episodic format that Telltale has used for its previous titles, where player choices and actions have significant effects on later story elements.
A sequel, Minecraft: Story Mode - Season Two, was released on July 11, 2017, featuring new storylines and characters.
On May 31, 2019, it was announced that Minecraft: Story Mode would no longer be supported following the closure of Telltale Games. The servers for Story Mode were discontinued on June 25, 2019, meaning that the episodes are no longer downloadable. Despite being discontinued, the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions are playable on Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5 respectively via backwards compatibility.
- 1 Gameplay
- 2 Synopsis
- 3 Plot
- 4 Voice cast
- 5 Development
- 6 Episodes
- 7 Trailers
- 8 Achievements
- 9 System requirements
- 10 Supported languages
- 11 Gallery
- 12 See also
- 13 Notes
- 14 References
Minecraft: Story Mode is an episodic point-and-click narrative-driven graphic adventure video game similar to Telltale's previous titles such as Tales from the Borderlands. The player is able to collect items, solve puzzles, and talk to non-player characters though conversation trees to learn about the story and determine what to do next. Like other Telltale Games, decisions that the player makes have an impact on story elements in future episodes. However, unlike Telltale's previous games that carry more mature or emotional overtones including the death of major characters, Story Mode is known as a family-friendly title, so the decisions are still pivotal and emotional but do not involve mature imagery or themes. Elements of crafting and building, central to Minecraft, are included in the gameplay, following a similar approach. The game features combat and other action sequences, carried out through both quick time events similar to Telltale's other episodic games, and more arcade-like controls, such as steering around debris on a road. The game also mixes new characters with original themes to make an entirely original Minecraft experience.
Jesse and his / her group of friends revere the legendary Order of the Stone; four adventurers who slayed an Ender Dragon. The Order are the very best at what they do: Warrior, Redstone Engineer, Griefer, and Architect. While at EnderCon, Jesse and his / her friends discover that something is wrong... something dreadful. Terror is unleashed, and they must set out on a journey to find The Order of the Stone if they are to save their world from oblivion.
Jesse and Friends
- Patton Oswalt as Jesse (male), a huge fan of everything going on in Minecraft, as well as the main character
- Catherine Taber as Jesse (female)
- Dee Bradley Baker as Reuben, Jesse's pet pig who is smart and funny.
- Brian Posehn as Axel, who is fiercely loyal to his friends but can appear to act impulsively.
- Ashley Johnson as Petra, who is tough, shrewd, and very protective of her friends.
- Martha Plimpton as Olivia, who is assertive and smart but lacks patience.
- Matthew Porter as Lukas, a member of the Ocelots who later befriends Jesse and his / her group.
Order of the Stone members
- David Fennoy as Gabriel the Warrior, a powerful fighter who appears at EnderCon
- Erin Oosbree as Ellegaard the Redstone Engineer, someone who is very smart but whose whereabouts are slightly hazy
- Corey Feldman as Magnus the Rogue, an impressive griefer who appreciates the "art" of griefing and who is also hard to find
- John Hodgman as Soren the Architect, a mysterious person who is the hardest to find and whose whereabouts have not been known for a while
- Paul Reubens as Ivor, a former member of the Order who distrusted Soren after the command block incident and who has vowed to demolish the world of Minecraft
Old Builder members
- Melissa Hutchison as Isa, the Founder of Sky City.
- Ashly Burch as Cassie Rose, the person who reveals herself as the White Pumpkin.
- Yvette Nicole Brown as Harper, the creator of PAMA.
- James Cummings as Hadrian, the leader of the Old Builders.
- Kari Wahlgren as Mevia, the Enforcer.
- Jamie Alcroft as Otto, a person who prefers to make sure rules are followed.
- William West as the narrator, Siggie, and the fanboy
- Gina Keali'inohomoku Bowes as Maya, Ivy, and the fangirl
- Phillip LaMarr as Gill, a member of the Ocelots, later known as the Blaze Rods.
- Matthew Miller as Aiden, Otis, Schoolboy, TNT Dustin, and Griefer #2
- Jason Topolski as Reuben (the usher), Disco Mickey, Griefer #5, and PAMA.
- Erin Yvette as the announcer of the EnderCon building competition, Mabel, Farmer Gloria, and Griefer #1
- Lydia Winters as herself
- Owen Jones[note 1] as himself
- Ursula Taherian as Nohr, a griefer of Boom Town.
- Samuel Riegel as Griefer #3
- Michael Gambino as Calvin and Griefer #4
- A.J. Riebli III as the announcer of the Death Bowl
- Sean Astin as Reginald, the loyal Captain of the Guard
- James Meskimen as Milo, the leader of the Build Club.
- Joseph Garrett as Stampy Cat
- Stacy Hinojosa as stacyplays
- Daniel Middleton as DanTDM
- Elizabeth Dwyer as LDShadowLady
- Jordan Maron as CaptainSparklez
- Adam Harrington as TorqueDawg
- Roger L. Jackson as the White Pumpkin (voice)
- Audrey Wasilewski as Em
- Julianne Buescher as Nell and Clutch
- John Sanders as Facemeat, one of the Gladiators
- Christopher B. Duncan as Slab, one of the Gladiators
- Ashley Albert
- Will Beckman
- Katrina Carras
- Shelly Shenoy
- Arthur von Nagel
The idea for Minecraft: Story Mode came around the end of 2012 when Telltale was engaged in work for Tales from the Borderlands, an episodic series based on the Borderlands series. The idea of developing stories around other established video game franchises led the team to brainstorm the idea for a Minecraft-related game, given that the game was essentially a "blank canvas" for storytelling, according to Job Stauffer, and would create an interesting challenge. Telltale began negotiations with Mojang Studios at GDC 2013, and began work on the title shortly thereafter. Stauffer noted that Microsoft's acquisition of Mojang Studios was not a factor in the game's development, as their interaction with Mojang Studios began well before Microsoft's offers.
Telltale opted to create a new main character of Jesse for Minecraft: Story Mode instead of using the default "Steve" and "Alex" characters from Minecraft, feeling that they did not want to attempt to rewrite how players already saw these characters in the game. Other primary characters in the game are loosely designed around archetypes of common player-characters for Minecraft, such as those who engage in building, fighting, or griefing other players. The game does not attempt to provide any background for some concepts in Minecraft, such as the creepers, to avoid the various fan interpretations of such elements, though they will be elements of the game's story.
Stauffer stated that the game's story was intended to be family-friendly, similar to The Goonies or Ghostbusters; their intended content would be equivalent to a PG-13 or PEGI-12 rating. A number of the voice actors are alumni of such films of the 1980s such as Corey Feldman who starred in The Goonies, and the game includes various references to these types of films. Stauffer reflected that while Telltale's more recent games like The Walking Dead were more mature stories, their original adventure games like Sam & Max and Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People were written as family-friendly, and that they consider their approach to Story Mode as "part of our DNA". The story was written to be accessible both to existing players of Minecraft – both novice and advanced players – and to new audiences outside of the game.
Minecraft: Story Mode was formally announced in December 2014 as a collaboration project between Mojang Studios and Telltale Games; the announcement was presented as an interactive adventure game named "Info Quest II". Its first trailer was released during the MINECON convention in early July 2015. Telltale confirmed that they would release the game for the Wii U, representing the first time a Minecraft game has been released on a Nintendo platform.
On August 24, 2015, Winters posted on Twitter that she had completed voiceover work for the game but didn't specify whether she voiced a character or did some narration for the game.
On August 28, 2015, it was announced that the player will be able to choose the appearance of the main character, Jesse.
The game is separated into five episodes, released in intervals between 2 weeks and 3 months.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release|
|1||"The Order of the Stone"||Dennis Lenart and Graham Ross||Michael Choung and Laura Jacqmin||October 13, 2015|
|2||"Assembly Required"||Jason Latino||Joshua Rubin, Eric Stirpe and Tim Williams||October 27, 2015|
|3||"The Last Place You Look"||Jonathan Stauder||Michael Choung, Laura Jacqmin, Eric Stirpe and Tim Williams||November 24, 2015|
|4||"A Block and a Hard Place"||Graham Ross and Rebekah Gamin-Arcovitch||Brad Kane and Laura Jacqmin||December 17, 2015|
|5||"Order Up!"||Jonathan Stauder||Eric Stirpe and Tim Williams||March 29, 2016|
On March 22, 2016, Telltale Games announced that three episodes will be available throughout 2016 as downloadable content. These episodes will not be available under the season pass and as such must be purchased separately. In order to download these episodes, you must have at least one episode from the main series.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release|
|6||"A Portal to Mystery"||Sean Manning||Eric Stirpe and Tim Williams||June 7, 2016|
|7||"Access Denied"||Rebekah Gamin-Arcovitch and Jason Pyke||Luke McMullen and Eric Stirpe||July 26, 2016|
|8||"A Journey's End?"||Vahram Antonian||Eric Stirpe, Yale Hannon and Erica Harrell||September 13, 2016|
- MINECON 2015 Trailer
- Episode 1 - The Order of the Stone Trailer
- Episode 2 - Assembly Required Trailer
- Episode 3 - The Last Place You Look Trailer
- Episode 4 - A Block and a Hard Place Trailer
- Episode 5 - Order Up! Trailer
- Episode 6 - A Portal to Mystery Trailer
- Episode 7 - Access Denied Trailer
- Episode 8 - A Journey's End? Trailer
There are 32 achievements in Story Mode (33 on PlayStation), worth 1,000 Gamerscore on Xbox and Windows 10.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (If different)||Xbox Points||Trophy (PS)|
|New Kid on the Block||Complete Chapter 1 of Episode 1||20G||Bronze|
|Leveraging Resources||Get creative at the crafting table||Make a lever at a crafting table.||Gold|
|Some Assembly Required||Complete Chapter 2 of Episode 1||25G||Bronze|
|To Catch a Thief||Complete Chapter 3 of Episode 1||30G|
|Out of the Frying Pan...||Complete Chapter 4 of Episode 1||Silver|
|Safety First||Complete Chapter 5 of Episode 1||35G|
|The Calm Before the Storm||Complete Chapter 6 of Episode 1||40G|
|Nether Say Die||Complete Chapter 1 of Episode 2||20G||Bronze|
|Griefer Madness||Acquire the Griefer||Bring Magnus back to the temple.||25G|
|Occam's Razor||Acquire the Engineer||Bring Ellegaard back to the temple.||30G|
|No Time to Lose||Complete Chapter 4 of Episode 2||35G||Silver|
|In the Shadow of Giants||Complete Chapter 5 of Episode 2||40G|
|Left Behind||Complete Chapter 6 of Episode 2||50G||Gold|
|Back to the Grind||Complete Chapter 1 of Episode 3||20G||Bronze|
|A World of Pure Imagination||Complete Chapter 2 of Episode 3|
|Pretender Man||Complete Chapter 3 of Episode 3||25G|
|When a Plan Comes Together||Complete Chapter 4 of Episode 3||30G||Silver|
|Blockbuster||Complete Chapter 5 of Episode 3|
|Out With A Bang||Complete Chapter 6 of Episode 3||35G|
|That's Some Pig||Chew the fat with Reuben||Have a conversation with Reuben.||40G||Gold|
|Dramatic Timing||Complete Chapter 1 of Episode 4||20G||Bronze|
|In a Land Far Away||Complete Chapter 2 of Episode 4||25G|
|It Came From Outer Space||Complete Chapter 3 of Episode 4||30G||Silver|
|The End of the Line||Complete Chapter 4 of Episode 4||35G|
|From the Jaws of Defeat||Complete Chapter 5 of Episode 4||40G|
|A New World Order||Complete Chapter 6 of Episode 4||50G||Gold|
|Finders Keepers||Complete Chapter 1 of Episode 5||20G||Bronze|
|Losers Weepers||Complete Chapter 2 of Episode 5||25G|
|Friends in High Places||Complete Chapter 3 of Episode 5||30G|
|Castles in the Sky||Complete Chapter 4 of Episode 5||35G||Silver|
|Out of the Blue||Complete Chapter 5 of Episode 5||40G|
|To Boldly Go...||Complete Chapter 6 of Episode 5||50G||Gold|
|Chip Off the Old Block||Earn all trophies||N/A||Platinum|
There are eighteen achievements available as downloadable content, worth 375 Gamerscore on Xbox and Windows 10.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Xbox Points||Trophy (PS)|
|Invitation to Die For||Complete Chapter 1 of Episode 6||10G||Bronze|
|Mr. Sandman||Complete Chapter 2 of Episode 6||15G|
|Killer Instincts||Complete Chapter 3 of Episode 6||20G|
|The Science of Deduction||Complete Chapter 4 of Episode 6||Silver|
|From the Ashes||Complete Chapter 5 of Episode 6||30G|
|Elementary, My Dear Jesse.||Complete Chapter 6 of Episode 6||Gold|
|Fighting Words||Complete Chapter 1 of Episode 7||10G||Bronze|
|Mining for Trouble||Complete Chapter 2 of Episode 7||15G|
|Trust Falling||Complete Chapter 3 of Episode 7||20G|
|Ghost in the Machine||Complete Chapter 4 of Episode 7||Silver|
|Breaking and Entering||Complete Chapter 5 of Episode 7||30G|
|Offline Mode||Complete Chapter 6 of Episode 7||Gold|
|Let the Games Begin||Complete Chapter 1 of Episode 8||10G||Bronze|
|Playing for Keeps||Complete Chapter 2 of Episode 8||15G|
|Challenge: Accepted||Complete Chapter 3 of Episode 8||20G|
|The Most Dangerous Game||Complete Chapter 4 of Episode 8||Silver|
|Gaming the System||Complete Chapter 5 of Episode 8||30G|
|To the Victor Go the Spoils||Complete Chapter 6 of Episode 8||Gold|
According to this page:
|Processor||Intel Core2 Duo @ 2.3GHz or equivalent|
|Memory (RAM)||4GB or more|
|Graphics Drivers||AMD or NVidia with 1024MB or more|
According to the Steam page, the following languages are available in the game:
- Episode 1 - The Order of the Stone
- Episode 3 - The Last Place You Look
- Episode 4 - A Block and a Hard Place
- Episode 5 - Order Up!
- Episode 6 - A Portal to Mystery
- Episode 7 - Access Denied
- Credited as Owen Hill
- "Minecraft: Story Mode - The Complete Adventure for Wii U - Nintendo Game Details" (archived) – Nintendo.com.
- "'Minecraft: Story Mode' Episode 8: 'A Journey's End?' Lands September 13th" (archived) by Laura Perusco – Telltale Games News, Septmeber 7, 2016.
- Minecraft: Story Mode ESRB Rating
- Minecraft: Story Mode PEGI Rating
- Minecraft: Story Mode Episode 1 ACB Rating
- Minecraft: Story Mode Episode 1 OFLC Rating
- Minecraft: Story Mode Episode 3 OFLC Rating
- Minecraft: Story Mode DEJUS rating
- Minecraft: Story Mode DEJUS rating for Xbox One
- Minecraft: Story Mode DEJUS rating from Microsoft
- Minecraft: Story Mode - The Complete Adveture USK rating
- Minecraft Story Mode: The Complete Adventure Xbox One
- Minecraft: Store Mode on the App Store (archived)
- Minecraft: Story Mode on Google Play (archived)
- Minecraft: Story Mode on the Amazon Appstore (archived)
- Minecraft: Story Mode on the Microsoft Store
- Minecraft: Story Mode Reveal Trailer and First Cast Details by Telltale Games; July 4, 2015
- "Premiere Dates Revealed for 'Minecraft: Story Mode'" (archived) by Laura Perusco – The Telltale Blog, Septmeber 16, 2015.
- "Minecraft: Story Mode - The Complete Adventure for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details" (archived) – Nintendo.com.
- "Netflix to bring Minecraft: Story Mode to service - but not traditional games" by Nick Pino – Tech Radar, June 13, 2018.
- Anadel's official Facebook page
- "Important Minecraft: Story Mode Information" – Minecraft.net, May 31, 2019
- "Giving Minecraft a story" by Andrew Webster – The Verge, August 26, 2015.
- "PAX 2015: Minecraft Vet, Rookie Each Play Telltale's Minecraft: Story Mode" by Jared Petty and Ryan McCafferty – IGN, August 28, 2015.
- "Minecraft: Story Mode: A chip off the old block" by Jeffrey Matulef – Eurogamer, September 9, 2015.
- Minecraft: Story Mode MINECON 2015 Panel
- "New Screenshots - 'Minecraft: Story Mode' Features Selectable Player Character" (archived) by Laura Perusco – The Telltale Blog, August 28, 2015.
- "Minecraft: Story Mode - New Trailer, Additional Cast Details, AND World Premiere Event" (archived) by Laura Perusco – The Telltale Blog, October 1, 2015.
- "Minecraft: Story Mode Returns for Episode 5 on March 29th, Three More Adventures Continuing in 2016" (archived) by Laura Perusco – The Telltale Blog, March 22, 2016.
- "'Minecraft: Story Mode' Episode 7 - 'Access Denied' Downloads July 26th" (archived) by Laura Perusco – The Telltale Blog, July 18, 2016.
- "Minecraft: Story Mode Episode 6 Arrives June 7th, Features Community Adventurers from YouTube" (archived) by Laura Perusco – The Telltale Blog, May 31, 2016.
- "Minecraft: Story Mode spin-off game announced by Mojang" by Keith Stuart – The Guardian, December 19, 2014.
- "The unlikely creative relationship behind Minecraft: Story Mode" by Richard Moss – Gamasutra, October 9. 2015.
- "Telltale Games, Mojang Team Up for 'Minecraft: Story Mode'" by David Murphy – PCMag, December 18, 2014.
- "Just finished doing voiceover work for our @telltalegames Minecraft: Story Mode! I definitely want to do more of that. Who needs me? :)" – @LydiaWinters on Twitter, August 24, 2015
- "‘Minecraft: Story Mode’ Now Available in Stores with Episode Two Ready for Download!" (archived) by Allen Ortega – The Telltale Blog, October 27, 2015.
- "'Minecraft: Story Mode' Episode 3 Arrives November 24th" (archived) by Laura Perusco – The Telltale Blog, November 19, 2015.
- "Story Mode Episode 5 incoming. Three more on the way" (archived) by Owen Jones – Mojang.com, March 22, 2016.
- "Y'all seen these yet? #StoryMode #ContinuingAdventuresOfTheNewOrderOfTheStone #ThatLastHashtagWasTooLong" – @stirpicus on Twitter, March 25, 2016
- "#StoryMode ep 8 is being directed by Vahram Antonian, who is a frigging beast." – @stirpicus on Twitter, August 8, 2016