Height: 0.7 Blocks
Minecarts with TNT can be retrieved by attacking them, and by doing so it drops as an item.
A minecart with TNT detonates after a delay on these conditions:
- It moves over a powered activator rail.
- It is destroyed while in motion (except by a player in Creative mode).
- It is destroyed by fire, lava, or an explosion.
- In Java Edition, it is hit by a fire charge.
The delay is 4 seconds (80 game ticks) for an activator rail, like the TNT block. For other causes there is a random delay between 0 and 1.9 seconds, but more likely to be close to 1.
It detonates instantly on these conditions:
- It hits the ground with a downward velocity of it falling more than three blocks, unless landing on any form of rail.
- It turns on a curved track too fast, with a solid block or entity located beside the track (in the previous movement direction).
- It is hit by a flaming arrow.
- It is pressed into a block or entity and has velocity.
Upon detonation it acts as normal TNT, exploding and damaging nearby blocks, players, and entities. Upon detonation after activating on activator rail, it does not destroy its rails and the blocks the rail is on, however other nearby carts can.[Java Edition only] More than one minecart can be placed on the same rail block, allowing many of them to fit into a single block. They explode when touched, dealing large amounts of damage.
The explosion has a base power of 4, the same as regular TNT, but the game also adds a random bonus value up to 1.5 times velocity, but no higher than 7.5. This means that with a speed of 5 or higher the power will be a random value between 4 and 11.5. When triggered by an activator rail or by damage, the bonus value is calculated using the horizontal velocity of the minecart. When hit by a flaming arrow the velocity of the arrow is used instead. When triggered by fall damage, the fall distance divided by 10 is used.
Minecarts with TNT bounce off of other minecarts and cannot be linked to minecarts with furnaces.
The specific instructions are: priming
|Sound||Subtitles||Source||Description||Resource location||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Minecart rolls||?||Plays when the minecart is moving||?||?||16|
|Minecart with TNT||Item|
|Minecart with TNT|
|Item||Identifier||Numeric ID||Form||Translation key|
|Minecart with TNT||Item|
|Entity||Identifier||Numeric ID||Translation key|
|Minecart with TNT|
Minecarts with TNT have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the entity.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities
- Tags common to all minecarts
- TNTFuse: Time until explosion or -1 if deactivated.
|1.5||13w02a||Added minecart with TNT.|
|13w03a||Minecart with TNT no longer destroys nearby rails and rail supports during explosion.|
|1.8||14w11a||Minecart with TNT explosions no longer stack.|
|14w26a||Minecart with TNT can now be detonated using arrows on fire.|
|1.11||16w32a||The entity ID for minecart with TNT has been changed from |
|1.12||1.12-pre6||No longer instantly explode when hit with fire charges; instead, they explode as if primed by an activator rail.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this item's numeral ID was 407.|
|1.14||18w43a||The textures of minecart with TNT have been updated.|
|19w11a||Minecart with TNT explosions now have a 100% drop rate.|
|1.15||19w38a||The TNT now appear dark, same as suffocating mobs.|
|19w39a||The TNT texture now colored correctly.|
|Pre-release 1||The model of minecart with TNT has been changed.|
|Pre-release 3||The model of minecart with TNT has been changed back to the 18w43a model.|
|1.19||22w13a||The crafting recipe for a minecart with TNT is now shapeless.|
|Breaking a minecart with TNT will now drop the item instead of the minecart and TNT separately.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|v0.14.0||build 1||Added minecart with TNT.|
|1.1.0||alpha 220.127.116.11||The entity ID has been changed from |
|1.10.0||beta 18.104.22.168||The textures of minecart with TNT have been updated.|
|1.19.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Breaking a minecart with TNT will now drop the item instead of the minecart and TNT separately.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU19||CU7||1.12||Patch 1||1.0.1||Added minecart with TNT.|
|1.90||The textures of minecart with TNT have been updated.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
|0.1.0||Added minecart with TNT.|
|Minecart with TNT emits smoke particles when destroyed.|
- A direct hit from three merged minecarts with TNT can reduce a fully diamond armored player to half a heart. However, if the TNT minecarts explode, they do not destroy any rails.
The 13w02a banner, with a minecart with TNT and a hopper.
Dinnerbone showing how minecarts with TNT have controlled explosions.
- "Haha, oops... Nuclear minecarts! (mature language)" – @Dinnerbone (Nathan Adams) on Twitter, January 10, 2013
- "Those blasted pigs have taken the village. We've ran out of options; we must stop them from spreading further!" – @Dinnerbone (Nathan Adams) on Twitter, January 7, 2013
- "(Mirror: [imgur link])" – @Dinnerbone (Nathan Adams) on Twitter, January 7, 2013
- "What's the point of properly activating TNT carts if they just blow up your tracks? Let me answer that with an album!" – @Dinnerbone (Nathan Adams) on Twitter, January 15, 2013