A magma cube is a hostile mob found in the Nether. They are most commonly found near Nether Fortresses. When they move, they jump and momentarily unravel into eight layers, giving them the appearance of a spring while revealing a molten core inside.
Magma cubes will jump slowly in random directions until a player is in range, at which point they will start to jump faster towards a player. They will also attempt to damage a player. A unique ability of these creatures is that they cannot get hurt or drown in Lava, and they cannot get hurt by Water itself. However, they can drown in water. Another ability they have is that they won't take fall damage.
Big and small magma cubes will drop Magma Cream. However, the tiny ones will not drop any magma cream. All magma cubes will drop experience orbs like all other mobs.
- If a player kills a magma cube and all the smaller ones that result from it, the player can get up to 28 experience points from one big magma cube.
- Tiny slimes are harmless and are popular pets among Minecraft fans, but tiny magma cubes can still harm a player. However, they can only damage a player when a player is underneath them. One can still keep these as pets if they are careful (They must be contained in an area if a player wishes to sleep).
- All magma cubes, no matter what size they are, can jump three blocks high, while regular slimes can only jump one block high.
- Automatic magma cube "farms" are hard to build due to the fact that water cannot be put in the Nether legitimately.
- Some fans falsely believe that when a slime is pushed or spawned inside of Fire or lava, it will turn into a magma cube.
- Update 0.11.0 introduced magma cubes to the Pocket Edition.