Increases the maximum number of items for most common drops by 1 per level. It increases the chance of rare drops by making a second attempt to drop if the original attempt failed. The success chance of this second attempt is
level / (level + 1). Looting also increases the chance of rare drops and equipment drops by 1 percentage point per level.
Looting affects any kills while holding the enchanted item in the main hand, not only to kills with the enchanted item. For example, a player can fire a projectile then switch to the Looting item before the projectile reaches the target to get the Looting effect, or can fire a projectile from the off-hand[Java Edition only] while holding a Looting item in the main hand. This allows Looting to work on arrows or thrown tridents, as long as the player is holding the Looting item when the arrow or trident lands.
Using commands to get higher levels than 3 works as expected, adding higher numbers with a weight of 1. High enough numbers however (like level 2500) may crash the game due to too many dropped item entities.
Looting has no effect in certain cases:
- Mobs with no drops, such as bats, bees, or endermites, are not affected by this enchantment.
- Withers, iron golems, and snow golems are not affected by this enchantment.
- Looting does not increase the amount of fish dropped by fish mobs (guardians and elder guardians are not considered fish mobs, and Looting does cause them to drop more fish).
- Looting does not increase the drop quantity when used on a fox, but it does increase the chance for a drop.
- It does not increase the amount of wool dropped by sheep.
- The sponge drop from an elder guardian is unaffected.
- It does not affect totems of undying dropped by evokers.
- It does not affect the amount of skulls dropped by wither skeletons, but does increase the chance for them to drop one.
|Name||Identifier||Numeric ID||Translation key|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3||Added Looting, which can be applied to swords.|
|1.8||14w04a||Looting now gives a 1 percentage point increase per level to the chance of getting rare drops.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|Combat Tests||Combat Test 4||Looting can now be applied to axes.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|v0.12.1||build 1||Added Looting.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU7||CU1||1.00||Patch 1||1.0.1||Added Looting.|